It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 19:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Berkeley-Haas or Chicago-Booth?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.45
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Re: Berkeley-Haas or Chicago-Booth? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 12:40
pharaohs80 wrote:
:) np...thought it might help some ppl. Good luck with your school selection! You wont go wrong with any if you have a couple of options in the top 5 schools.

Pharaohs80x,
This thread is very helpful. Thanks a ton. I initially PM'd you. But I thought this might help others too. So posting it here again. Sorry for the double post/message.

I am a software architect (Insurance Industry). I am in the same boat as you were a few years ago. I got admitted to Booth and Haas.
My focus is on entrepreneurship (long term) and management consulting (short term, with tech focus probably) during/after MBA.

Are you happy with the opportunities PT students got at Booth regarding New Venture Challenge, access to Polsky center? Is the VC community existent there? Good speakers from Silicon Valley give speeches etc?

Can you also let me know if MBB consulting companies recruit PT students at Booth or is it hard for PT students to approach them even after good networking?

Could you also talk about the camaraderie of the students, networking options, FT students' rage etc?

The thing I liked at Haas was the campus feel, as PT classes are also on the campus, but Gleacher center for Booth is completely separate from the main campus.
But I realize that as a weekend student I would be there only on Saturdays so I guess that should not make any material difference.

I live in Houston,TX currently and would love to move to the bay area but I don't want to give up the brand that comes with Booth. I am thinking on choosing Booth and look for opportunities in Bay Area in the future. Best of both worlds, I guess. Also the flexible curriculum and 6 free courses letting us take any 'hot courses' (like data analytics is right now) are a big advantage from my viewpoint.

Any further perspectives from you now would be immensely helpful to me to confirm my choice. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Raj

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Berkeley-Haas or Chicago-Booth? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2017, 05:22
I'm in the same boat right now. Deciding between the Booth and Haas PT programs.

My background: 5 Years in Investment Management (think front office role at e.g. Blackrock, Vanguard, PIMCO).
I prefer to stay in Finance post-MBA and maybe switch to a hedge fund but I'm generally happy on the buy-side. I would definitely consider fintech and entrepreneurial opportunities, however.

I know this should be a no-brainer given Booth's reputation overall and especially in finance but I love the Bay Area and want to move there rather sooner than later. Can't see myself moving to Chicago (I hate the cold). I would commute to either schools on the weekend at least in my first year.

I also prefer the flexible schedule at Booth with the option to specialize in 2-3 areas of study. The weekend elective options at Haas are rather limited compared to Booth. I really like the fact, however, that weekend classes are actually held at the Haas campus compared to Booth where classes are held downtown. Since I got a non-US undergrad degree, identifying with the school is somehow important to me. Booth would be more like get it over with as fast as possible while I would probably be involved in extracurricular activities at Haas.

Do you think Booth > Haas for finance even in the Bay Area?

It's basically a brain vs. heart decision for me.

Thanks for your help guys!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Berkeley-Haas or Chicago-Booth?   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2017, 05:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

Berkeley-Haas or Chicago-Booth?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap