Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 02:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Best college at Cambridge for MBAs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Best college at Cambridge for MBAs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 10:34
Hi there,

I've recently been admitted to Cambridge Judge, and I'm trying to navigate the college system that they have, and I haven't been able to find too much information that is specific to MBAs. Much of the information out there is either aimed at undergraduates on general graduate students; while it even appears some colleges do not admit MBAs at all.

In general, there seems to be a balance of either older and more prestigious (more 'Cambridge-y' even), with larger endowments, and perhaps harder to get into, or newer, less-formal with smaller endowments, but perhaps better accommodation facilities.

I was wondering if there's anybody with experience in this area, especially past-Judge MBAs who might be able to offer some advice as to some of the pros and cons of the leading college contenders (common ones seem like Hughes, Pembroke, Robinson, Darwin). From my perspective, I would like some of the pomp and ceremony (e.g. the occasional formal dinners) of the more traditional colleges, a good/diverse network (not just MBAs), and decent facilities/accommodation.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Re: Best college at Cambridge for MBAs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 10:49
illucent17 wrote:
Hi there,

I've recently been admitted to Cambridge Judge, and I'm trying to navigate the college system that they have, and I haven't been able to find too much information that is specific to MBAs. Much of the information out there is either aimed at undergraduates on general graduate students; while it even appears some colleges do not admit MBAs at all.

In general, there seems to be a balance of either older and more prestigious (more 'Cambridge-y' even), with larger endowments, and perhaps harder to get into, or newer, less-formal with smaller endowments, but perhaps better accommodation facilities.

I was wondering if there's anybody with experience in this area, especially past-Judge MBAs who might be able to offer some advice as to some of the pros and cons of the leading college contenders (common ones seem like Hughes, Pembroke, Robinson, Darwin). From my perspective, I would like some of the pomp and ceremony (e.g. the occasional formal dinners) of the more traditional colleges, a good/diverse network (not just MBAs), and decent facilities/accommodation.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Hi! I'm also going to Judge on September! Nice to meet you!

I have a friend who is currently doing his MBA at Judge. He recommended me to apply to Hughes Hall (so I did and got accepted) for the following reasons:
- Highest number of MBAs among all colleges (30-40)
- Easy to get accommodation in the College (others might put you in a house out of the College)
- Distance to Judge (15 min walk)

Honestly I didn't do any more research on this topic and followed his advice...

Hope this helps

Kind regards
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 11:17
Congrats on the offer from Judge.

I was admitted in the previous round and agree that it is quite difficult to find much useful information specific to MBAs. I spent quite a bit of time (probably too much!) researching this and had similar criteria to you, so can offer my thoughts.

First off I would suggest talking with your admissions coordinator, they should be able to tell you which colleges have reached their MBA 'quota' and are no longer accepting applications, so you don't waste time researching ones that are full. (As of when I was applying to colleges in mid March Downing, Emmanuel, Pembroke, King’s, St Catharine’s, Jesus and St John’s were full). I was also told that Trinity, Peterhouse and Clare College very rarely accept MBA students.

With regards to accommodation standards this can vary quite a lot even within the same college. As a graduate you'll most likely be living in college owned houses outside of the main college site. Outside can mean across the road or a couple of miles away. If nice, new accommodation is top priority I would probably suggest Hughes- all ensuite and I believe they are just completing a new building for the 2016/2017 year.

However, as you said you want a 'Cambridge-y' experience I probably would suggest choosing a different college. Excluding ones that are full I would suggest checking out Sidney Sussex, Gonville and Caius, Corpus Christi and Christ’s. If you want more information on these I can share a google doc I made with info on endowment, number of grad students, accommodation etc etc (PM me).
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.85
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2016, 15:49
Hi, I am a current Cambridge MBA.

Finding information about colleges may be challenging, so I am very happy to help you.

Send me a private message and we can try to organize a Skype session, where I will try to answer your questiond (or I will put you in touch with some of my friends).

Just some general considerations:

- Some colleges do not accept MBAs (Trinity, King's, Trinity Hall, Clare)
- Some colleges accept MBAs, but only on a scholarship and after a specific application and we should now be beyond the deadlines (St Catz, St John's, Christ's)
- Some colleges are quite likely to be full (at least for MBAs) at this point of the year (Emma, Downing, quite likely Jesus and Queens').

Ending up in a less historic college is not necessarily a bad thing (most of the times graduate students do not live on the main site anyway and you will still have friends who can invite you to formals at the old ones).

Do not hesitate to contact me if you need any additional information.

Cheers

Pat

PS Congrats for being admitted at JBS
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Best college at Cambridge for MBAs   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2016, 15:49

Best college at Cambridge for MBAs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: SamuelWitwicky