It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 16:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body temper

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-20-2014
GMAT ToolKit User
Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body temper [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2014, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:38) correct 37% (01:48) wrong based on 867 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body temperatures that some of them spend most of their time eating. But a comparison of Mifune, a bird of a seed-eating species, to Rossi, a bird of a nectar-eating species that has the same overall energy requirement, would surely show that Mifune spends more time eating than does Rossi, since a given amount of nectar provides more energy than does the same amount of seeds.

The argument relies on which one of the following questionable assumptions?

(A) Birds of different species generally do not have the same overall energy requirements as each other.

(B) The nectar-eating bird does not sometimes also eat seeds.

(C) The time it takes for the nectar-eating bird to eat a given amount of nectar is not longer than the time it takes the seed-eating bird to eat the same amount of seeds.

(D) The seed-eating bird does not have a lower body temperature than does the nectar-eating bird.

(E) The overall energy requirements of a given bird do not depend on factors such as the size of the bird, its nest-building habits, and the climate of the region in which it lives.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by carcass on 22 Jul 2014, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted the question
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G
Re: Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body temper [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2014, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V24
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Human Resources)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2014, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
Straight away C. Was confused wid D but C is better.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-05-2014
GPA: 2.8

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2014, 05:54
C is the best answer, though may not be the perfect answer.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.72
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 20:12
C, focus should be focused :)
I did this question twice, last time while reading choice C, thought it is "opposite" answer & marked some wrong answer choice. This time I was much focused, and opted C.

A lot needs to be learned from all of you.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body temperatures that some of them spend most of their time eating.
But a comparison of Mifune, a bird of a seed-eating species, to Rossi, a bird of a nectar-eating species that has the same overall energy requirement, would surely show that Mifune spends more time eating than does Rossi, since a given amount of nectar provides more energy than does the same amount of seeds.

Assumptions: Its takes more time to consume a seed than to consume same quantity of nectar.

(A) Birds of different species generally do not have the same overall energy requirements as each other.
This is general case whereas we have specific case where do have same requirement.

sometimes cannot be generalized for all circumstances.
This cannot be assumed.

(C) The time it takes for the nectar-eating bird to eat a given amount of nectar is not longer than the time it takes the seed-eating bird to eat the same amount of seeds.
(This is inline with our assumption above.)

(D) The seed-eating bird does not have a lower body temperature than does the nectar-eating bird.
(Not sure about this.)

(E) The overall energy requirements of a given bird do not depend on factors such as the size of the bird, its nest-building habits, and the climate of the region in which it lives.
(We don't need to assume this sentence as its negation does not affect the conclusion. The overall energy dependency on any factor does not affect its eating method, duration and quantity.)

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 22:02
Gmatbattle wrote:
Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body temperatures that some of them spend most of their time eating. But a comparison of Mifune, a bird of a seed-eating species, to Rossi, a bird of a nectar-eating species that has the same overall energy requirement, would surely show that Mifune spends more time eating than does Rossi, since a given amount of nectar provides more energy than does the same amount of seeds.

Option C talks about the Quantity of food and not about the energy. In the question it has been stated as eating Nectar will give more energy when compared to the same Quantity of seed and no where it was mentioned as Eating the same quantity of Nectar will take less time than eating the same quantity of Seed. How are we choosing C as the correct answer choice??? Kindly help on my understanding.. Thanks!!!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 05:25
sowragu wrote:
Gmatbattle wrote:

Option C talks about the Quantity of food and not about the energy. In the question it has been stated as eating Nectar will give more energy when compared to the same Quantity of seed and no where it was mentioned as Eating the same quantity of Nectar will take less time than eating the same quantity of Seed. How are we choosing C as the correct answer choice??? Kindly help on my understanding.. Thanks!!!

Hi,
I think if we split up the premise and conclusion, we can understand the argument better.

M - Same amount of energy needed - Eats Seed
R - Same amount of energy needed - Eats Nectar

Author says, Same quantity of Seed has lesser energy when compared to Similar quantity of Nectar. So M takes more time to eat when compared to R.

So author is saying that if R eats say 10 gms of Nectar then M has to eat say 20gms of seeds to get similar energy. Also the author assumes that it is not possible for M to spend more time to eat a given quantity of seed, because if this were the case then the increase in time could have been not because M needs to eat more seed but because M takes more time eat. Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 06:10
I don't really get the reasoning of the passage. Please help.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
hongson1706 wrote:

Premise 1: Energy from one unit of seed (case 1) < Energy from one unit of nectar (case 2)
Premise 2: Total energy requirement is the same for both cases
Conclusion: Time required to acquire energy by eating seeds (case 1) > Time required to acquire same amount of energy by eating nectar (case 2)

What if the speed of eating seed > the speed of eating nectar - the time required for case 1 and case 2 could the be the same.

Thus an assumption is speed of eating seed is not > the speed of eating nectar. This is option C.

However mathematically it would be better if option C used the wording "is not significantly longer" instead of "is not longer". Once you understand the above reasoning, you would probably also understand this last statement. Nonetheless if you have any doubt, please let me know.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 23:10
sayantanc2k wrote:
hongson1706 wrote:

Premise 1: Energy from one unit of seed (case 1) < Energy from one unit of nectar (case 2)
Conclusion: Time required to acquire energy by eating seeds (case 1) > Time required to acquire same amount of energy by eating nectar (case 2)

What if the speed of eating seed > the speed of eating nectar - the time required for case 1 and case 2 could the be the same.

Thus an assumption is speed of eating seed is not > the speed of eating nectar. This is option C.

However mathematically it would be better if option C used the wording "is not significantly longer" instead of "is not longer". Once you understand the above reasoning, you would probably also understand this last statement. Nonetheless if you have any doubt, please let me know.

Hi, What does questionable assumption mean? I thought it means the negation version of the assumption?
Thanks
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 04:45
mifune- seed eating rossi- nectar eating

same energy requirement say -1000 cal

premise - nectar provides more energy same amount of both nectar provides more energy than seeds

assumptions- food is available easily, no time wasting for search
- both are easily ingested

conclusion- mifune spends more time eating than ross
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 04:53
rakaisraka wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
hongson1706 wrote:

Hi, What does questionable assumption mean? I thought it means the negation version of the assumption?
Thanks

Could you let me know the context? I am not sure whether "questionable assumption" is some standard terminology.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 11:33
Hi, The question stem says questionable assumption. What does questionable assumption mean? I thought it means the negation version of the assumption?
Thanks[/quote]
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 09:44
rakaisraka wrote:
Hi, The question stem says questionable assumption. What does questionable assumption mean? I thought it means the negation version of the assumption?
Thanks
[/quote]

The term "questionable assumption" means, something has been assumed for arriving at a conclusion from a premise. However the assumption may not be correct, and hence the conclusion may be wrong.
(You may safely ignore the part "questionable" and take the question as a standard assumption question.)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 04:09
Hello experts,

Here Option D is not a Must Be True case right?
Given: (QES)Qty of Seed-energy/unit < (QEN)Qty of Nectar-energy/unit
Given: Qty of Energy depends on body temperature maintenance need.
Conclusion: Time of eating 100 Units of Nectar < Time of 100 Units of Seed.

Option D: Temp of Seed eating birds is less than Temp of Nectar eating birds.

Evaluation of Option D
Time of Seed 120 > time of nectar 90
Qty Energy Seed 70 < Qty E of N 100

Scenario 1: seed birds Temperature 5 degrees < nectar birds 100 Degrees
Here: Conclusion will break. As, S Birds will spend very less time in consuming that much of corresponding energy that is necessary for body temp.

Scenario 2: seed birds temperature 99 < nectar birds 100 degrees:
Here: Conclusion will hold as despite high temp need of nectar birds, they will consume that much of corresponding energy in relatively lesser time.

Am I right?
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 02:53
ravi19012015 wrote:
Hello experts,

Evaluation of Option D

Here: Conclusion will break. As, S Birds will spend very less time in consuming that much of corresponding energy that is necessary for body temp.

Here: Conclusion will hold as despite high temp need of nectar birds, they will consume that much of corresponding energy in relatively lesser time.

Am I right?

Further to my last post in response to one of your queries, following is another suggestion that worked great for me: Do not quantify a CR question unless you really need to. Reason for this suggestion: wastage of time.

This question is about energy requirement, and the passage already confirms that the energy requirements are same for both the birds. Analyzing the temperature difference is hence irrelevant for answering the question.

P.S.: Seeing your couple of posts, it seems that you have a tendency of weed thinking ( i.e., thinking unnecessarily in a direction not leading to the answer). It seems that you need to cut of the weeds from your thoughts and think only what is necessary. Otherwise you will probably land up with severe time constraint during the test.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 04:40
sayantanc2k wrote:
ravi19012015 wrote:
Hello experts,

Evaluation of Option D

Am I right?

Further to my last post in response to one of your queries, following is another suggestion that worked great for me: Do not quantify a CR question unless you really need to. Reason for this suggestion: wastage of time.

This question is about energy requirement, and the passage already confirms that the energy requirements are same for both the birds. Analyzing the temperature difference is hence irrelevant for answering the question.

P.S.: Seeing your couple of posts, it seems that you have a tendency of weed thinking ( i.e., thinking unnecessarily in a direction not leading to the answer). It seems that you need to cut of the weeds from your thoughts and think only what is necessary. Otherwise you will probably land up with severe time constraint during the test.

Thank you for the remarks. Indeed I make mistakes in the above given areas.
I restudied this question.
Since it is given that they have same energy requirements, they must also have same body temperature to be met.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 02:43
ravi19012015 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
ravi19012015 wrote:
Hello experts,

Evaluation of Option D

Am I right?

Thank you for the remarks. Indeed I make mistakes in the above given areas.
I restudied this question.
Since it is given that they have same energy requirements, they must also have same body temperature to be met.

Once again you are thinking in the wrong direction. Forget about the temperature, the question is about energy requirement, not temperature. (Just to answer your query: The body temperatures need not be the same - energy is related to temeprature rise or drop, not the actual temperature itself. But again you do not need to consider this physics knowledge in answering the question.)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2017, 21:11
Gmatbattle wrote:

I see. So the reason why the answer is C is because the amount energy required by M is equal to the energy level needed by R. So if nectar contains more energy than seeds, it would take M more time to reach the same energy level as R by consuming seeds, thus, it would take M more time to reach the same energy level as R.
Answer C basically states that the time for R to consume nectar is less than or equal to the time it takes M to consume seed, so even though it may take M more time to consume seeds, it will take R no longer than M's time to consume the same amount of nectar. So if it takes M 30 minutes to consume seeds, R will take at most 30 minutes or less to consume nectar.

The thing that tripped my speculations on C was my assumption that if it takes M longer to consume food (seeds) then wouldn't that also take more energy for M to look for and consume the food. If consuming food in itself requires more energy, then the energy level requirement of these two birds could vary.
Re: Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body temper   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2017, 21:11

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Birds need so much food energy to maintain their body temper

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap