Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.99
WE:Design (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Blanked out during GMAT exam [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC, thanks for coming forward to help me. Here are the responses for your question

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
I have developed keen interest in GMAT in March 2016 and have enrolled at the local institute for class room training june through august 2016.
2) What materials have you used?
I had solved the OG 2016, Verbal review 2016 and Quant review 2016. I had read through Manhattan quant and verbal guides also
3) How did you score on the Official GMAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
My score was very low Verbal 27 Quant 43 IR 3 Total 580. On my first mock even before I start my preparation I had scored 620. On subsequent mocks I scored 640,660,640.
Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
My goal score 720
5) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
Yes I definitely will.
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
I intended to apply for 2017 if my score was better but now I need to get good score and will apply as soon as possible.
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
Indian School of Business, Said, NYU Stern, Fosters, NUS,

Thanks for looking forward to helping me out. Appreciate your efforts.

Balaji
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep
Hi ScottTargetTestPrep,

Thanks for coming forward to help me. Here are my responses for your questions. Appreciate your concern.

1) What is your GMAT score goal?
My score goal is 720
2) Did you get your enhanced score reports? If not, could you do so and share the score breakdown from your GMAT?
No, I didn't get enhanced report. I don't think getting an enhanced report would benefit my purpose. Coz my performance was much lower than my usual levels. In all mock tests I scored > 620 Including my first mock. my break up is V27,Q43,IR 3 Total 580
3) Can you provide us with the dates and score breakdowns from your Official GMAT prep practice exams? When you took the practice tests, did you take them under realistic conditions (e.g. in a quiet environment, no extended breaks)? Did you complete the entire CAT, including the IR and Essay sections?
yes, I did try to replicate the entire exam conditions. with no extended brakes and including essay, IR sections. I shall give the break up in few hours.
4) Describe your study routine. What resources did you use to study? How many hours a day did you study?
I studied 1-2 hrs for 1 month and increased to 2-3 Hrs till 15 days before the exam and studied 4-5 hrs last 15 days. I used all official materials and manhattan guides.
5) What are the MBA programs to which you plan to apply? What deadlines are you targeting?
I was targeting 2017 season but seems I need reassess my plans.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Balaji,

I have a few additional questions about your lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Blanked out during GMAT exam [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Thank you for answering my questions. If I am following your response correctly, you only studied for 1 month? Although you seem to have put in a decent number of study hours, it’s possible that one month was not enough time to absorb/learn the GMAT knowledge needed for a 720. Thus, on your actual GMAT, your weaknesses could have been exposed, causing a level of panic that you had not previously felt on any practice GMAT exams.

Remember, the GMAT is such a challenging exam because there are relatively few questions asked in a given exam, yet those questions come from a huge topic pool. Thus, the best way to get a great GMAT score is to have a thorough understanding of all the topics that may be tested on the exam. To develop such mastery, you want to strive for linear and targeted learning and follow that with focused practice. In other words, you want to master one topic before you move to the next. Have you been able to do this?

Also, I see you have been using the OG as your main study resource.The Official Guide is a great book because it has official questions from past GMATs; however, there are not enough questions given about each topic to provide full exposure to all GMAT topics. Additionally, the questions are presented in a random order, so it’s challenging to use the OG for focused practice.
Thus, when prepping for a retake, you may consider a more robust study resource than a GMAT prep book; try an online self-study course. If you are unsure of what is available, you can check out the course reviews at GMAT Club or Beat The GMAT.

To help diagnose your GMAT quant strengths and weaknesses, I welcome you to take my 37-question quant diagnostic. After completing the diagnostic, you will be provided with a detailed analysis of your proficiency level of all GMAT quant topics as well as an opportunity to discuss your diagnostic results with me or another TTP instructor/coach.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Good luck!

Originally posted by ScottTargetTestPrep on 13 Sep 2016, 11:08.
Last edited by ScottTargetTestPrep on 13 Sep 2016, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM