GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 213
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Jan 2019, 06:25
4
31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (02:04) correct 40% (02:17) wrong based on 1072 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.

Which of the following inferences about the consequences of instituting the new tests is best supported by the passage above?


A) The incidence of new cases of NANB hepatitis is likely to go up by 10 percent.

B) Donations made by patients specifically for their own use are likely to become less frequent.

C) The demand for blood from blood banks is likely to fluctuate more strongly.

D) The blood supplies available from blood banks are likely to go down.

E) The number of prospective first-time donors is likely to go up by 5 percent.


Project CR Butler:Day 14:Critical Reasoning (CR1)


For all CR butler Questions Click Here

Originally posted by eybrj2 on 27 Jan 2012, 22:11.
Last edited by Bunuel on 14 Jan 2019, 06:25, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9706
Location: Pune, India
Re: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 23:31
4
2
eybrj2 wrote:
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.

Q) which of the follwoing inferences about the consequences of instituting the new tests is best supported by the passage above?

a) The incidence of new cases of NANB hepatitis is likely to go up by 10 percent.

b) Donations made by patients specifically for their own use are likely to become less frequent.

c) The demand for blood from blood banks is likely to fluctuate more strongly.

d) The blood supplies available from blood banks are likely to go down.

e) The number of prospective first-time donors is likely to go up by 5 percent.


Quote:
At first I picked A thinking, suppose 10 people comprise 2/3rd of the people who carry NABH and donate blood ---> They donate to 10 people at least ---> those people get NABH as well (now NABH must be infectious otherwise why are Blood banks testing to find whether ppl have NABH or not)
So increase of 10 people --> ~ 10% increase in NABH infected people.

After knowing I picked the wrong answer, my fallacy is probably this:
We don't know the total number of NABH infected cases: it may be 20 or it may be 10 ---> supposing it is 20, then 10 people addition is ---> 2% increase not 10% OR if it is 100 cases of infections ---> then it is 10% ----> % increase may be 2-10% or more ---> this makes the option A to be MAY BE TRUE.

A conclusion MUST BE TRUE ---> D) says the blood supplies will decrease ---> YES because people are disqualified, so less blood is available from all the possible donors.

Please do let me know if I am right. And also, How i may improve in ASSUMPTION CR, I also take around 3:30 mins in medium-tough questions.


The problem with (A) is that the argument does not give us enough information to deduce that.

10% of actual donors will supply NANB contaminated blood. But does that mean that all this blood will be used? What if actually only 50% of the blood from a blood bank is used. Then the actual incidence of disease may increase by only 5% (assuming homogenous distribution).
Also, what if NANB infected people are the ones who need blood most often from blood banks. In that case, we may find very few new cases.
Hence, increase in the incidence of disease is a big jump.

(D) is straight forward. 5% fewer people will be able to donate blood due to new tests and that means reduced supply is an effect of the new test.
In inference questions, simpler is usually better.

For discussions on assumption questions, check my blog:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/?s=assu ... er&x=0&y=0
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
General Discussion
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1716
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2018, 09:16
Straight D, new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors. means less people will donate. less supply of blood.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Mar 2018
Posts: 246
CAT Tests
Re: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 01:26
AjiteshArun ChiranjeevSingh VeritasKarishma aragonn
As per the question
Let's assume there are 100 people who donate blood
now 15 have NANB hepatitis 5 are removed from the screening. So 10 are left
Conclusion: Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.
It means the 5 people which are removed are replaced by new donors free from NANB hepatits
So how can we inder D ? since the donors remain the same
What's the flaw in my reasoning ?
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1716
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 02:25
First, about this line --- It means the 5 people which are removed are replaced by new donors free from NANB hepatits --- this is not mentioned that these 5 will be replaced by new donors. new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors. disqualify does not mean replaced.

2nd we need to --- inferences about the "consequences" of instituting the new tests.

pre-think - My pre-thoughts are --- 10 people will pass, and stay in system. So bank will keep providing contaminated blood or For moral or other issues they will be closed. D is on these lines. Let me know if you need help in eliminating other choices.
_________________
Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9706
Location: Pune, India
Re: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 02:34
teaserbae wrote:
AjiteshArun ChiranjeevSingh VeritasKarishma aragonn
As per the question
Let's assume there are 100 people who donate blood
now 15 have NANB hepatitis 5 are removed from the screening. So 10 are left
Conclusion: Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.
It means the 5 people which are removed are replaced by new donors free from NANB hepatits
So how can we inder D ? since the donors remain the same
What's the flaw in my reasoning ?



There is a problem in the highlighted sentence. How do you figure that they will be replaced by new donors? The argument says "5 percent of all prospective blood donors will be disqualified"
From where will the new donors come?
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 62
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 4
Re: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2019, 10:27
VeritasKarishma wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis. Although the new screening tests are estimated to disqualify up to 5 percent of all prospective blood donors, they will still miss two-thirds of donors carrying NANB hepatitis. Therefore, about 10 percent of actual donors will still supply NANB-contaminated blood.

Q) which of the follwoing inferences about the consequences of instituting the new tests is best supported by the passage above?

a) The incidence of new cases of NANB hepatitis is likely to go up by 10 percent.

b) Donations made by patients specifically for their own use are likely to become less frequent.

c) The demand for blood from blood banks is likely to fluctuate more strongly.

d) The blood supplies available from blood banks are likely to go down.

e) The number of prospective first-time donors is likely to go up by 5 percent.


Quote:
At first I picked A thinking, suppose 10 people comprise 2/3rd of the people who carry NABH and donate blood ---> They donate to 10 people at least ---> those people get NABH as well (now NABH must be infectious otherwise why are Blood banks testing to find whether ppl have NABH or not)
So increase of 10 people --> ~ 10% increase in NABH infected people.

After knowing I picked the wrong answer, my fallacy is probably this:
We don't know the total number of NABH infected cases: it may be 20 or it may be 10 ---> supposing it is 20, then 10 people addition is ---> 2% increase not 10% OR if it is 100 cases of infections ---> then it is 10% ----> % increase may be 2-10% or more ---> this makes the option A to be MAY BE TRUE.

A conclusion MUST BE TRUE ---> D) says the blood supplies will decrease ---> YES because people are disqualified, so less blood is available from all the possible donors.

Please do let me know if I am right. And also, How i may improve in ASSUMPTION CR, I also take around 3:30 mins in medium-tough questions.


The problem with (A) is that the argument does not give us enough information to deduce that.

10% of actual donors will supply NANB contaminated blood. But does that mean that all this blood will be used? What if actually only 50% of the blood from a blood bank is used. Then the actual incidence of disease may increase by only 5% (assuming homogenous distribution).
Also, what if NANB infected people are the ones who need blood most often from blood banks. In that case, we may find very few new cases.
Hence, increase in the incidence of disease is a big jump.

(D) is straight forward. 5% fewer people will be able to donate blood due to new tests and that means reduced supply is an effect of the new test.
In inference questions, simpler is usually better.

For discussions on assumption questions, check my blog:
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/?s=assu ... er&x=0&y=0




I was also about to choose 'd'.

got carried away with the inefcted word of 'A'
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2019, 10:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Blood banks will shortly start to screen all donors for NANB hepatitis

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne