Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [66]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 597 [17]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619190 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: A product that represents a clear technological advance over competing [#permalink]
Kudos
Between C and E,
The catch in the last option is "...a goal that the argument rejects" and now think, does the argument reject the goal of making profits or does it state a better way to achieve the goal? clearly it's the latter.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
A product that represents a clear technological advance over competing [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma MentorTutoring

Can you elaborate option (E) and (C) for me?

Quote:
A product that represents a clear technological advance over competing products can generally command a high price. Because technological advances tend to be quickly surpassed and companies want to make large profits while they still can, many companies charge the maximum possible price for such a product. But large profits on the new product will give competitors a strong incentive to quickly match the new product's capabilities. Consequently, the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new product is to charge less than the greatest possible price.

Main conclusion: the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new product is to charge less than the greatest possible price. (marked by keyword: consequently)

My understanding of passage:
Technological advance (TA) in products: Charge more to customer to get profits asap.
But competitors find a GREATER incentive seeing larger prices, hence they too COPY TA and in turn destroy the earlier
company's plan to make huge profits earlier.

Quote:
(E) The first is a consideration that has been used to justify pursuing a goal that the argument rejects; the second presents a course of action that has been adopted in pursuit of that goal

BF1 Is a consideration.
Goal: To make profits as early as possible
Does author rejects the goal: *Yes, He says since competitors shall match TA for the products, the firms shall not be able to execute their plan.
BF2: I would purely reject this choice since BF2 is a conclusion / opinion. It can NEVER be a COURSE OF ACTION as this option suggests.
*Other subtle difference is author is against strategy of firms, not the goal.

I discarded C because:
Quote:
(C) The first is a consideration raised to explain the appeal of a certain strategy; the second presents that strategy.

Strategy 1 by firms: Charge as much $ as possible so as to get maximum profit in minimum time.
Stategy 2 by author: DO NOT CHARGE $$$, since then competitors will be aware of higher prices, follow TA and then the plan (of earning maximum profit in shortest period) of firms shall fail.

The main conclusion

Quote:
the strategy to maximize overall profit from a new product is to charge less than the greatest possible price.

is based on premise:
Quote:
large profits on the new product will give competitors a strong incentive to quickly match the new product's capabilities

NOT strategy 1 as suggested by firms in BF1.

Let me know if my reasoning is correct.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: A product that represents a clear technological advance over competing [#permalink]
Kudos