GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Booth ($60K), Sloan ($30K), Stern ($120K), Darden ($60K)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Booth ($60K), Sloan ($30K), Stern ($120K), Darden ($60K) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Mar 2017, 01:27
Hi, I am attending Booth and I would like to share my application experience. I was in the technology sector and had a lot less than average work experience but still had the ambitious goal of targeting the top-5 b-schools.

- Given that I had to make the most of my limited work experience and showcase why I am ready for an MBA now, I decided to work with a consultant. (Rajdeep Chimni at Admissions Gateway.) I think starting the process all of you should identify your support base, whether it is a consultant, a student or alumni. Do not do your process in a silo as interacting with people and brainstorming will make you re-evaluate the way you think and approach the process.

- For school selection, I wanted to test the waters. So I took a 2 round strategy applying to a top-5 and some top-10 schools in round 1. As a younger applicant I felt that I could mature during the process and apply to more top-5 schools in R2 after gaining some experience and feedback from admissions committees. There are advantages in applying to your top schools in R1 straight away and this is a trade off you can think about. I converted Darden with a $60000 scholarship and this gave me the confidence to go further and crack Booth and MIT in R2.

My first challenge was the resume as it was extremely technical. I focused on presenting my accomplishments in the larger scheme of things and in a more strategic manner. Resume building is core as this will help you figure out the highlights of your story. For young applicants I suggest showcasing your work experience in a mature manner and also explaining why now versus applying next year. Also for example if you are a software engineer do product manager level thinking for your resume.

Once you have a good resume the behavioral essays become easier. (Leadership, teamwork etc.). Do a lot of self reflection for behavioral essays and lot of first hand research for Goals and 'why school' related essays. Network with students with a specific purpose in mind and make sure that your networking reflects in the essays.

Another key thing is to manage your time well. I had a hectic work schedule so I ended up working on my apps late at night. It would be better to space this out and not take on more than you can handle at work.

I got interview calls from 6 of the 7 schools with admits from 4 schools including MIT Sloan with $30,000 and Chicago Booth with $60,000 scholarship. Given my years of work experience getting in was challenging but the scholarship was a bonus. I would encourage all of you to think hard whether you want to apply with 2-3 years experience and if you think it is the right time to you just go for it as more and more younger applicants are getting it. There are some schools that may prefer younger applicants a little more.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Boothgirl2017 on 03 Mar 2017, 12:09.
Last edited by Boothgirl2017 on 05 Mar 2017, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Booth ($60K), Sloan ($30K), Stern ($120K), Darden ($60K) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 13:32
Hi Boothgirl2017,

Thank you so much for posting a review and Congratulations on your acceptance. Booth is one of my top choices too. Could you please share a bit about your background? It would really be helpful to learn more about your academic and professional background. Further It would be really helpful if you would share your interview experiences as well. Thanks. :-D

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 09:31
This post does not belong in this forum as it does not qualify as a "Share Application Experience" - it lacks both Application and Experience.
It is an example of what is known as a commercial placement/promotional post/spam/etc. It is wonderful you are so in love with Admission Gateway, but take your love somewhere else - perhaps facebook or snapchat.

This post will be deleted within 24 hours unless it is updated to fit the actual purpose of the application experience.
Thank you.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 01:28
Hi Rohan, I had an engineering background and worked with a software company. I had <5 years of experience and shared some ways to address that above.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2017, 01:31
Hi BB,

I have edited the post as you suggested and shared my experience.

Sorry if this was not the right forum to post a review. Could you tell me where I can post a review for my consultant?

Thank you.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
Booth ($60K), Sloan ($30K), Stern ($120K), Darden ($60K) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 May 2017, 14:00

Originally posted by gmataroram on 27 Mar 2017, 00:38.
Last edited by gmataroram on 26 May 2017, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2017, 10:38
gmataroram wrote:
Looks like the paid Admission Gateway's advertisement has reached upto this level now....

gmataroram wrote:
Mr Rajdeep Chimni has become the God and....

Hi Gmataroram

I think comments like these are not gonna help anyone and are not in line with forum's rules and regulations. You have every right to make comments on services/policies of Admission Gateway. You are also welcome to share your own experience of working with them, if you haven't already, but I would expect you to refrain from using the language like you used above. When you call someone 'Paid agent' of an admission consultant, it's an insult of that forum member.

I think each of us has to be extra careful to maintain decorum and make this community a place where everyone can express his/her opinions freely.

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Re: Booth ($60K), Sloan ($30K), Stern ($120K), Darden ($60K)   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2017, 10:38

Booth ($60K), Sloan ($30K), Stern ($120K), Darden ($60K)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap