GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Born in Mainz in the late 14th century, Johannes Gutenberg is widely k

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Born in Mainz in the late 14th century, Johannes Gutenberg is widely k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 11:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:14) correct 35% (01:27) wrong based on 338 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Born in Mainz in the late 14th century, Johannes Gutenberg is widely known as the inventor of mechanical movable type; his ingenious printing press technology - made obsolete only by the advent of the digital era - was more influential than any inventor of his age.

A. was more influential than any
B. was more influential than that of any other
C. more influential than that of any other
D. had more influence than any other
E. was more influential than that of any

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Current Student
Schools: HEC Dec '17 (A)
Re: Born in Mainz in the late 14th century, Johannes Gutenberg is widely k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 11:31
B

A. was more influential than any - Wrong Comparision. Technology is compared to inventors
B. was more influential than that of any other
C. more influential than that of any other - Verb missing
D. had more influence than any other - Same as A
E. was more influential than that of any - "Than that of any inventor.." implies that printing press technology was more influential than itself. The correct way to express is "more influential than that of any OTHER ...."
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge
Re: Born in Mainz in the late 14th century, Johannes Gutenberg is widely k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2015, 11:45
B. This option is correctly comparing technology with technology of any other inventor
What is the OA?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.62
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 12:59
E. Not sure why other is necessary after any. It's understood that we are comparing Johannes Gutenberg technology influence to the influence of any other inventor's technology. So do we really need to repeat other?

Please explain.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 14:30
jurin wrote:
E. Not sure why other is necessary after any. It's understood that we are comparing Johannes Gutenberg technology influence to the influence of any other inventor's technology. So do we really need to repeat other?

Please explain.

If there is only "Any" in the sentence instead of any other, then Johannes Gutenberg's technology is also compared against his technology along with that of others so that's why i think any other is the correct option.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 09:40
A,D - Incorrect comparison, comparison of technology with inventor.
C - Verb missing for second part of the sentence, fragment.
(B,E) - B is more clear.

Hence, B is the answer.

Let's share some kudos together.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 11:20
Hi,

In this question what is the extra value that 'any' is adding. I had it zeroed down to B & E but haven't really been able to move ahead.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 11:33
jimmy6473 wrote:
Hi,

In this question what is the extra value that 'any' is adding. I had it zeroed down to B & E but haven't really been able to move ahead.

As we can see the difference between B and E is of 'any' and 'any other'. If we use 'any', it means that we are comparing Johannes Gutenberg's technology with itself.Hence we require 'any other' to convey that we need to compare Johannes Gutenberg's tech with other inventors tech of his time.

Now the relevance of 'any' here is: If we read the sentence without any it reads as -

was more influential than that of any other inventor.

Here the sentence now says that Johannes Gutenberg's invention is better than some other inventor, say Jacob, who now sounds as a single competitor, and not all of the inventors of his time.

'Any' helps focusing on all the inventors of his time and not just any single inventor.

Hope this makes sense. Please let me know if any clarification required.

Regards
AD
---------------------------------
A Kudos is one more question and its answer understood by somebody !!!

Intern
Intern
B
Born in Mainz in the late 14th century, Johannes Gutenberg is widely k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 11:43
adstudy wrote:

As we can see the difference between B and E is of 'any' and 'any other'. If we use 'any', it means that we are comparing Johannes Gutenberg's technology with itself.Hence we require 'any other' to convey that we need to compare Johannes Gutenberg's tech with other inventors tech of his time.

Thanks AD. Now when i compare than that of any investor v/s than that of any other investor - are you saying the former means comparing with self? In that case could you elaborate on it a little. Thanks mate
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 12:00
jimmy6473 wrote:
adstudy wrote:

Thanks AD. Now when i compare than that of any investor v/s than that of any other investor - are you saying the former means comparing with self? In that case could you elaborate on it a little. Thanks mate

Hey jimmy6473,

Yes, using only 'any' will include the investor himself.

Say for example we have three investors Aaron, Barry and Carol.

Now if I say that

Aaron's earnings are more than that of any investor ->

This means that Aaron's earnings are getting compared with Aaron, Barry and Carol's earnings, where Aaron is including himself also

and If I say,

Aaron's earnings are more than that of any other investor ->

This means that Aaron's earnings are getting compared with Barry and Carol's earnings, where Aaron is not including himself.

Hope this clarifies it better. Let me know in case of any clarifications.

Regards
AD
---------------------------------
A Kudos is one more question and its answer understood by somebody !!!

GMAT Club Bot
Born in Mainz in the late 14th century, Johannes Gutenberg is widely k &nbs [#permalink] 06 Aug 2018, 12:00

Born in Mainz in the late 14th century, Johannes Gutenberg is widely k

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap