Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [9]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.8
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Bossy verbs [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
gordonf35 wrote:
Hi,

I saw the following from Manhattan GMAT SC book:

They demanded that the store be closed.

Could anyone identify the sentence structure of the above?

I suspect "be close" is a passive voice. What does it actually mean? I suspect it means they are demanding the store should be closed by someone. Is the word "be close" a verb or a phrase? To be honest, I have lived in the UK for more than 10 years but I haven't heard or seen someone use the above structure in conversation or email. Is it commonly used in the States?

More examples below, which makes me even more confused. They seem to have their own sentence structure:

The Agency required that Gary be ready before noon.
We propose that the school board disband. - Where is "be"
We require that he be here. - Should we treat "be" equals to "is"?
His demand that he be paid full severance was not met. - ???? totally confused

Many thanks for your help! I will give out Kudo for sure!

Gordon

Dear Gordon,
I'm happy to help. :-) The "be closed" in that sentence is passive but it is also in the subjunctive, which sounds odd even to native speakers, because even most native English speakers don't understand the subjunctive and don't use it correctly. See this blog:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... ive-tense/

You see, every verb has four qualities:
1) tense
2) number (i.e. singular vs. plural)
3) voice (i.e. active vs. passive)
4) mood

There are three verb "moods"
a) indicative
b) imperative
c) subjunctive
Most language, ordinary factual statements, are in the indicative. Anything purely descriptive is in the indicative. Most of the sentence in newspapers and most of the sentences in the GMAT Verbal section are in the indicative. This is such a default state that people don't even know that it's there.

The imperative is used purely for giving commands: Come here! Go there! Sit down! Buy this! Don't be late! When the verb is used in the command form, without a subject, this is the imperative form. This form appears frequently in advertising. The imperative is not going to appear on the GMAT SC.

Those two count for 99% of the sentences in every day life. A tiny fraction are in the subjunctive. The subjunctive mood is used for wishes, hypotheses, contrary-to-fact statements, and it appears in "lest" clauses and in the "that" clause of certain "bossy" verbs. Here are some sentence involving the subjunctive.
May the Force be with you.
If I were President, I would veto that bill.
He should pay the bill now, lest he owe a fine later.
If I had dropped out of high school, I wouldn't be a GMAT expert now.
If I were to tell her about that incident, she probably would be embarrassed.

The form for the present subjunctive is simply the infinitive of the verb, with no modification for singular or plural. For many verbs, the plural present tense is the same as the subjunctive, so the subjunctive would not look any different from the ordinary indicative. The difference is most pronounced with the verb "to be", because the infinitive form ("be") is very different from any of the present tense forms.
Present indicative: he is, they are
Present subjunctive: he be, they be

The sentences you quote:
The Agency required that Gary be ready before noon.
With this bossy verb, "required", inside the "that" clause we need the subjunctive.
Factual statement (indicative): "Gary is ready
Command in subjunctive: "that Gary be ready."

We propose that the school board disband.
The verb "to disband" means to break up, to go separate ways. This verb is used predominately in the passive, and what's a bit unusual is that this sentence uses in the active voice. Another bossy verb, "propose", with a "that" clause, so this also requires the subjunctive.
Factual statements (indicative): "The school board disbands" or "The school board is disbanding."
Subjunctive, active "that the school board disband."
Factual statement (indicative passive): "the school board is disbanded."
Subjunctive, passive "that the school board be disbanded."
In the active formulation, we are proposing that the folks on the school board active break up the school board: as a group, they themselves decide to disband. Taht would be very different from a passive formulation, in which some other authoritative figure would come in and break up the school board, possibly against their wills.

We require that he be here[/color
Another bossy verb with a "[color=#0000ff]that
" clause.
Factual statement (indicative): "he is here."
Subjunctive: "that he be here."

His demand that he be paid full severance was not met.
This one is tricky. The overall independent clause is in the indicative: "His demand was not met." The noun "demand" is modified by a relative clause beginning with the word "that," and inside this subordinate clause, the verb is subjunctive.
Indicative statements, various tenses, all factual statements:
He is paid in full.
He was paid in full.
He has been paid in full.

Here, the contents of the "that" statement have a contrary-to-fact feeling, which also justifies the use of the subjunctive. In point of fact, he has NOT been paid, so his demand was for something that, so far, has not materialized in the real world. The subjunctive is required for the "that" clause, but it also emphasizes that hasn't-happened aspect.

You will not hear the subjunctive used correct in ordinary conversation. You will not see it in email. Most native English speakers butcher it and do not speak it correctly at all. You have to do very high brow sophisticated reading to see the subjunctive used properly.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Awesome, that is extremely useful! It is out of my expectation to have such a professional advice like yours! :-D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts