Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE:General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: break in career...help needed.. [#permalink]
Hi,

Thank you very much for the replies...I am currently in UK and have also done certification in SAP Financial accounting. I am feeling a lot better now after looking at the replies...would get in touch with the admissions dept.

Thanks for the suggestion...:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Hi Prathima,

I agree with the suggestions made above. To be fair 5 years is a long time. But it can be realistically justified.

My suggestion will be to do the following to maximise your chances for admission.

1. Keep a larger set of schools to target (maybe 8)
2. Speak to the admissions officers of your target set of schools
3. Please highlight your experience (full time) and the initiatives that you took in the last 5 years (part time / freelancing / consulting / advisory...)
4. Make an appropriate judgement on your post-MBA career path in your essays.

I am sure you will hear this and other suggestions when you speak to the admissions officers. All the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hi Anshul,

Thank u very much for the reply.. I now have a much clear picture in regards with my approach...

Thank u once again...
MBA Prep School Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thanks for making this a topic again - it's one that definitely deserves a good deal of attention.

I agree with the tactical advice that has been given thus far but I would like to stress that you (or anyone in a similar situation) do not need to apologize for the decisions you've made.

Part of what I love about working with applicants in your shoes is that they are often the most driven, most passionate people, people who know what is truly important to them. They are also some of the most committed students, students who have learned how to juggle many balls and many roles, and who know exactly why it is that they are pursuing their MBAs. Fortunately, I believe that admissions committees also know this.

The key to your application will come down to your essays and the ways in which you tell your stories, both those from your previous professional life and those from your life as a caregiver. If you think about it, running a household is much like running a small business. And I'm guessing your small child has given you some of the best management lessons you'll ever learn!

In short, own your experiences -- all of them -- and be proud of them. Your presence will bring a richness to the MBA classroom. Do not be intimidated by the application process.

Please utilize the link below if you are interested in a free consultation with regard to your story and, in the meantime, best of luck.

Sincerely,
MBA Prep School
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, I absolutely think it will impact your application negatively. Especially if you weren't doing any kind of work or volunteering during that time. My recommendation to you would be to go find a job and restart the process. Spend two or three years working in a career you enjoy. During that period begin studying for the GMAT. Remember your score is good for five years. Make sure you have some great experiences at work that you think will make you a compelling candidate. Look for leadership opportunities, etc.
GMAT Club Bot