Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:50 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4101 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 801 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Break your ceiling - 680 to 730 in a month [#permalink]
Kudos
amollkhugshal wrote:
"Life is a sine wave" - I had heard this phrase from my physics teacher when I was in school. I lived through it during my GMAT preparation.

I gave the official GMAT mock exam 1 in August and got a 680 (Q47 V36). I started my preparation in late August to take the exam in mid-October. I started practising from the OG during my after-office hours and gave the 2nd mock. Got a 690(Q48V36), but I had to take breaks in between and didn't realise that might've inflated my score.
Verbal was guesswork at this point, I was never confident about the answer choice. I knew I had concept gaps.
I needed at least Q50 and V40 for my target score. I also needed to be sure of my answers in Verbal. For those reasons, I decided to buy the eGMAT 2-month course. A friend recommended eGMAT and Gmatclub and she got a 720. Solid advice.

I gave the eGMAT mock test and got a 670. My SC was poor, and CR was still trial and error. But I got a personalised plan to start studying. The plan: 2-3 hours of study after office, with questions from eGMAT, OG and Gmatclub.
The SC course in eGMAT is brilliant, with minimal jargon and a focus on meaning and grammar. The CR section comes with a Pre thinking approach, but more on that later. I followed the plan and saw the next eGMAT score at 710.
But in the following mock, I got a 670 again. Then 700.
Sine wave much?

I believed this score was an aberration and it won't happen. It happened again. In my first official GMAT exam in October. 680. Q49 V34. I was shocked. 2 months of hard work down the drain. Was 700 my ceiling? Alexa play 'Way Down We Go".

My mock scores were peaks and valleys but I did not maintain a proper error log or identified why my V scores are not stable.
Around the same time, I contacted the eGMAT for the last mile push program for which I could get a mentor and a personalised plan.
Rida was a great mentor throughout, doing the dirty work of figuring out my strengths and weaknesses using the data in the eGMAT platform. It was all there, I just didn't look for it!
We analysed my ESR and I found out how Murphy's law hits you in the face in real life. "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong". The reason my scores fluctuated was that I did not cover all bases in CR. The assumptions, weakening and boldface questions were my weaknesses. And GMAT killed me in those. My CR accuracy was 25% :lol:

I started again in November. Rida gave me weekly plans and targets to achieve, and follow-up calls to assess my performance. I started maintaining an error log and reviewed it before any sectional tests or mocks. I did not want the dreaded sine wave scores again, and she helped me solidify my CR to be stable. Pre-thinking did not work for me, but what worked was identifying the links in CR arguments. And those were the key to any answer.
I had to remove the word 'silly mistake' from my vocabulary for Quant, and drilled down to find another weakness - Word Problems.
The month went by fixing my weaknesses, and suddenly it was stable. I got 720 in my official mock 3, and 740 in the 4th one.
I gave my exam on 6th December and got a 730 (Q50 V38). GMAT threw a curveball at me again in Verbal, and I suffered from time management issues, else I am sure I could've gotten a 740. But I am happy and relieved!

Final Thoughts:
I would like to thank everyone who helped me in this journey. A special shout-out to Rida & eGMAT for the prep, chineseburned for a solid AWA format and gmatclub for the wonderful live sessions. Also a huge thank you to the community here which comes up with great shortcuts and techniques.

Key learnings:
- Don't give official mocks first. Save them for when you are ready. Give a free mock from any GMAT prep site
- Make mistakes fast, learn from them, and make them your strengths
- OG is a sacred resource. Treat it like one. Don't solve questions mindlessly.
- Quality over quantity when practising. Work smart.
- Maintain an error log and review it religiously
- Whatever course you select, tailor it to suit yourself
- Not all techniques taught would work for you. But something would work. Note it and make it repeatable
- If you are giving mock in a test centre, make sure it's near and comfortable to reach. No random variables should affect your score
- If your exam time is 8-12, take mocks at that time during prep. Don't drink water in between the sections and only take 8 min breaks. Replicate the exam atmosphere the closest you can
- Be aggressive on time while solving questions, but be accurate.
- For the day before the exam, chill. Don't study too much. Watch a movie, go for a run. Let your brain breathe.
- Have fun, take it as a game. You can always retake the exam!

Don't believe in ceilings. Shatter them. If you put your mind to it, you can do it.
Yes, the preparation phase might be a sine wave, but if all the valleys come during preparation, you are bound to hit the peak in the exam.

-------
Have a great one!
Amol

Wow, what a debrief. Congrats man. All the best for your next journey.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30819 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi amollkhugshal,

Congratulations on achieving a 50-point improvement to 730 in just 30 days!

This is your mentor Rida- I am so glad to have been a part of your journey to GMAT success. I am sure that this is the first in a long line of other achievements.

Thank you for taking the time to pen down your GMAT experience. I am sure that your words will inspire others to break ceilings and touch the stars.

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

These words sum up the attitude any student must take when preparing for the GMAT. With an adaptive exam, you need to ensure that you have identified and tackled every weakness, improved upon every strength and have every weapon you need in your arsenal to get to success.

When you prepped for your second attempt, this was your mantra. I can see from the attempts data on Scholaranium that you worked on tackling weaknesses and using your error log to ensure that you didn't face a sine curve on your attempts again. In SC, I can see how hard you worked to improve not just your accuracy, but your timing as well.

You used your error log and constant review process not just to improve, but also to maintain the proficiency you worked so hard on achieving. In RC, once we rooted out and worked on those weak areas, your accuracy on hard questions was solidly above the threshold and even reaching 90th percentile ability up until test day -

After all the work you put into Verbal, your mocks and Scholaranium stats indicate that you were on a predictable path to success!

But for me, what truly stands out when we talk about breaking ceilings, is the work that you put in for WP. I remember how much of a sore spot this was. But you refused to settle for an average score- working together, we dug deeper into the real reason for your low scores. You discovered that you were weak in some core skills, thus holding you back from high accuracy on WP questions.

This lightbulb moment truly shows how much time and energy you put into strategic review and analysis. This allowed you to reach the 80th percentile ability in WP and also improve your Quant score to Q50.

I particularly like your key learnings – it's extremely important to deescalate the test day and an especially important way to achieve that is by recreating the test environment at home, ensuring that you work on your mindset right before the exam and not taking the test too seriously.

I am sure that you will absolutely kill it when you apply to B-Schools. I can't wait to hear from you once you decide where to go-any cohort would be lucky to have you 😊.

All the very best!

Regards,
Rida
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37321 posts