GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

'Buffer' in the word count of essays

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
'Buffer' in the word count of essays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 03:02
Hello,

I was wondering if schools allow a 10% 'buffer' on the word count limit of essays. So if the word count limit is 1000, we can write up to 1100. Does anyone know if this is the case, or should we strickly stick to 800 words?

Thanks,
Valentin
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: 'Buffer' in the word count of essays [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 07:26
vmelgargalan wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if schools allow a 10% 'buffer' on the word count limit of essays. So if the word count limit is 1000, we can write up to 1100. Does anyone know if this is the case, or should we strickly stick to 800 words?

Thanks,
Valentin

Hi,

It is always preferable to stick to the limit, as you should not provide them any excuse of rejecting your application.

Some of the schools are very strict to work count such as LBS while others allow you to remain within limits. If not 10%, then 2-5% is acceptable.

Personally, I feel try to cut those extra words.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - Click here.

NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - Click here.

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 08:17
It also depends on the exact wording of their prompt. If they say "write an essay of 1000 words" or "about 1000 words," then, yes, you'd be safe to go a little over. But, as abhimahna suggests, 2-5% over is better If they provide both word count and page count guidelines, make sure you're within both. So, it might still be okay to go a little over 1000 words if you're not going over 3 double-spaced pages. But, yes, some programs will use things like going over the word count by even a single word as an excuse to reject you. They do this for one of two reasons: 1.) They get so many applicants that it's an easy way to cull the pile they have to read. 2.) It shows that you can't follow directions, and that you can't write concisely. If they think you should only need 1000 words to address their prompt thoroughly and you need more, it's probably because you're going beyond what they're asking for, or because your writing is wordy/awkward. Now they might not be right in thinking that; it could be you have extenuating circumstances and you really do need more words to explain them. But as someone who has graded a lot of essays, I'm telling you this is what's going to be going through their head. If you do have a situation where you think you need more than 1000 words for a GOOD reason, email admissions and ask if it's okay given your situation.
Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 22:38
vmelgargalan wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Valentin

Hi Valentin,

Unfortunately, the right answer is yes, you should stick to the word limit.

Firstly, most applications are hosted on online portals with in-built word counters, which would simply knock off the words that exceed the word count. Secondly, one of the most important aspects of an application is the ability to showcase a structured thought process, which means sticking to the word limit! The essays can make or break your application. We recommend you take the help of friends or family or an alumnus of the targeted B-school to help you put up exceptional essays. You can even reach out to admission experts, in case neither are available.

Feel free to reach out in case of more queries.

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy
-----------------------------------------------
Confused about MBA application strategy? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP
Phone: +91 9871354580
Email: info@apphelp.co.in
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2017, 23:46
vmelgargalan wrote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Valentin

You can comfortably go over 10% (or under) without any problems. If you do so, though there should be a reason (i.e. you REALLY are getting more out of that extra 10%)

Best,
Jon

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: 'Buffer' in the word count of essays   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2017, 23:46

'Buffer' in the word count of essays

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap