GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 13:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Building Blocks of an Argument

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V50
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests
Building Blocks of an Argument  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 06:26
While studying the building blocks of an arguments, I came across the following passage in the Manhattan books (5th edition, page 45).

The Chinese White Dolphin is a territorial animal ghat rarely strays far from its natural habitat in the Pearl River Delta. In recent years, increasing industrial and agricultural runoff to the Delta's waters has caused many white dolphins to perish before they reach breeding age. Unless legislation is enacted to ensure there is no further decline in the Delta's water quality, the Chinese white dolphin will become extinct.

The official answer states that these three sentences are Premise, Premise, and Conclusion. While I believe the first sentence is more of a background. Can someone explain how that first sentence is not background but the premise?

Posted from my mobile device

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Practice makes you perfect.

Kudos are appreciated.

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Building Blocks of an Argument  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2018, 11:45
HinaTabassum wrote:
While studying the building blocks of an arguments, I came across the following passage in the Manhattan books (5th edition, page 45).

The Chinese White Dolphin is a territorial animal ghat rarely strays far from its natural habitat in the Pearl River Delta. In recent years, increasing industrial and agricultural runoff to the Delta's waters has caused many white dolphins to perish before they reach breeding age. Unless legislation is enacted to ensure there is no further decline in the Delta's water quality, the Chinese white dolphin will become extinct.

The official answer states that these three sentences are Premise, Premise, and Conclusion. While I believe the first sentence is more of a background. Can someone explain how that first sentence is not background but the premise?

Premise

Part of the core of the argument; present in every argument
Supports the author's conclusion
Can be a fact or an opinion; can be a description, historical information, statistical or numerical data, or a comparison of things

Background

Not part of the core; often present, but not always Provides context to help understand the core
Almost always fact-based; can be in almost any form: historical information, numerical or
other data, descriptions of plans or ideas, definitions of words or concepts, and so on

Back to the question, try to eliminate the first sentence (Considering it as Background information)

The Chinese White Dolphin is a territorial animal ghat rarely strays far from its natural habitat in the Pearl River Delta. In recent years, increasing industrial and agricultural runoff to the Delta's waters has caused many white dolphins to perish before they reach breeding age.Unless legislation is enacted to ensure there is no further decline in the Delta's water quality, the Chinese white dolphin will become extinct.

Now without the first sentence, the arguement becomes shaky as the first question that will come to mind is , Why cant they move away from the Delta waters and continue breeding ?

The first sentence acts as the authors Arguement to this question hence it is a premise not a background information...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

BSchool Forum Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V50
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Building Blocks of an Argument  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2018, 07:54
Abhishek009 wrote:
HinaTabassum wrote:

Premise

Part of the core of the argument; present in every argument
Supports the author's conclusion
Can be a fact or an opinion; can be a description, historical information, statistical or numerical data, or a comparison of things

Background

Not part of the core; often present, but not always Provides context to help understand the core
Almost always fact-based; can be in almost any form: historical information, numerical or
other data, descriptions of plans or ideas, definitions of words or concepts, and so on

Back to the question, try to eliminate the first sentence (Considering it as Background information)

The Chinese White Dolphin is a territorial animal ghat rarely strays far from its natural habitat in the Pearl River Delta. In recent years, increasing industrial and agricultural runoff to the Delta's waters has caused many white dolphins to perish before they reach breeding age.Unless legislation is enacted to ensure there is no further decline in the Delta's water quality, the Chinese white dolphin will become extinct.

Now without the first sentence, the arguement becomes shaky as the first question that will come to mind is , Why cant they move away from the Delta waters and continue breeding ?

The first sentence acts as the authors Arguement to this question hence it is a premise not a background information...

Thank you Abhishek. That was really helpful.

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Practice makes you perfect.

Kudos are appreciated.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Building Blocks of an Argument &nbs [#permalink] 01 Sep 2018, 07:54

Building Blocks of an Argument

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap