GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 02:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 354
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Haas EWMBA '17
By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2012, 00:46
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (00:58) correct 16% (01:18) wrong based on 221 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty population, the decline in college enrollment caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds could be offset.

(A) the decline in college enrollment caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds could be offset
(B) the college enrollment decline caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds could be offset
(C) college enrollment could offset the decline caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds
(D) colleges could offset the decline in enrollment caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds
(E) the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds that has caused a decline in college enrollment could be offset

_________________
Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE GMAT Practice Tests: Vote Here
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Finance your Student loan through SoFi and get $100 referral bonus : Click here
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1141
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty popu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2012, 00:56
PraPon wrote:
By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty population, the decline in college enrollment caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds could be offset.

(A) the decline in college enrollment caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds could be offset
(B) the college enrollment decline caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds could be offset
(C) college enrollment could offset the decline caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds
(D) colleges could offset the decline in enrollment caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds
(E) the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds that has caused a decline in college enrollment could be offset


All options other than D have misplaced modifiers. Easy pick D. IMHO not a 700 level question simply because no other answer choice is even a good contender.
_________________
Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 354
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Haas EWMBA '17
Re: By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty popu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2012, 01:00
Agreed not 700 question. Changed too 600 level.
_________________
Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE GMAT Practice Tests: Vote Here
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Finance your Student loan through SoFi and get $100 referral bonus : Click here
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2013
Posts: 4
GMAT 1: 480 Q32 V23
Re: By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2013, 10:10
could someone tell me why option C is wrong?
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1034
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2013, 10:13
Kyuss wrote:
could someone tell me why option C is wrong?


We can solve this question by looking at the initial modifier:

By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty population,

How is the subject of this action? Who/What is enhancing college programs to attract ...?

(A) the decline Wrong
(B) the college enrollment Wrong
(C) college enrollment Wrong
(D) colleges Correct
(E) the decrease in the population Wrong

Hope it's clear
_________________
It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.
Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 85
Location: India
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Re: By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 21:13
MacFauz wrote:
PraPon wrote:
By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty population, the decline in college enrollment caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds could be offset.

(A) the decline in college enrollment caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds could be offset
(B) the college enrollment decline caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds could be offset
(C) college enrollment could offset the decline caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds
(D) colleges could offset the decline in enrollment caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds
(E) the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds that has caused a decline in college enrollment could be offset


All options other than D have misplaced modifiers. Easy pick D. IMHO not a 700 level question simply because no other answer choice is even a good contender.



Just clarifying my logic here. The modifier is modifying the decision taken by the college folks rights?
So by default the correct answer should start with college?

Just let me know if my thinking process is correct in this.
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4573
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 12:49
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:
Just clarifying my logic here. The modifier is modifying the decision taken by the college folks rights?
So by default the correct answer should start with college?

Just let me know if my thinking process is correct in this.


By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty population, colleges could offset the decline in enrollment caused by the decrease in the population of eighteen to twenty-four year olds

The blue part modifies the green part , in my opinion...

So, Answer will be (D)

_________________
Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5234
Re: By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 22:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2019, 22:49
Display posts from previous: Sort by

By enhancing college programs to attract the over-fifty

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne