GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 11:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

By integrating its two pharmaceuticals divisions, the firm

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
By integrating its two pharmaceuticals divisions, the firm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jun 2013, 05:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:05) correct 42% (01:11) wrong based on 206 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

By integrating its two pharmaceuticals divisions, the firm will increase their share of the nation’s $135 billion healthcare market from 5 percent to 9 percent, a market ranging from over-the-counter drugs to hi-tech medical equipment.

A) their share of the nation’s $135 billion health care market from 5 percent to 9 percent , a market ranging
B) from 5 percent to 9 percent its share of $135 billion health care market in the nation , which ranges
C) to 9 percent from 5 percent in their share of the $135 billion health care market in the nation, a market ranging
D) in its share , from 5 percent to 9 percent, of the $135 billion health care market in the nation , which ranges
E) to 9 percent from 5 percent its share of the nation’s $135 billion health care market, which ranges

Originally posted by kschow on 06 Jun 2013, 23:21.
Last edited by Zarrolou on 07 Jun 2013, 05:11, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question, renamed the topic and updated OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Re: modifiers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 23:34
By integrating its two pharmaceuticals divisions, the firm will increase their share of the nation’s $135 billion healthcare market from 5 percent to 9 percent, a market ranging from over-the-counter drugs to hi-tech medical equipment.
A) Their share of the nation’s $135 billion health care market from 5 percent to 9 percent , a market ranging
- Firm is Singular so use of THEIR is incorrect. ITS should be used. INCORRECT

B) from 5 percent to 9 percent its share of $135 billion health care market in the nation , which ranges
- This option uses a inverted sentence structure i.e. "the firm will increase from 5 percent to 9 percent its share" . This can be rewritten as "the firm will increase its share from 5 percent to 9 percent". Note- WHICH is correctly used & clearly refers to the MARKET. CORRECT

C) to 9 percent from 5 percent in their share of the $135 billion health care market in the nation, a market ranging
- Firm is Singular so use of THEIR is incorrect. ITS should be used. INCORRECT

D) in its share , from 5 percent to 9 percent, of the $135 billion health care market in the nation , which ranges - Fragment. INCORRECT

E) to 9 percent from 5 percent its share of the nation’s $135 billion health care market, which ranges
[/quote] - How can a firm increase to a Percent "the firm will increase to 9 percent" INCORRECT.

Hope this explanation helps many.
Express appreciation by pressing KUDOS button

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jun 2013, 01:38
- This option uses a inverted sentence structure i.e. "the firm will increase from 5 percent to 9 percent its share" . This can be rewritten as "the firm will increase its share from 5 percent to 9 percent". Note- WHICH is correctly used & clearly refers to the MARKET. CORRECT

Good explanation. "Which" can modify either the noun the immediately precedes the comma or the prepositional phrase that precedes the comma depending on the context. Option E would have been ideal if it hadn't been for the erroneous beginning "to 9 percent from 5 percent".

petrifiedbutstanding

Originally posted by petrifiedbutstanding on 07 Jun 2013, 00:21.
Last edited by petrifiedbutstanding on 07 Jun 2013, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2013, 01:13
can anyone tell me more convincingly why 'D' is not correct
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2013, 01:34
Here is the sentence combined with Option D:

By integrating its two pharmaceuticals divisions,in its share, from 5 percent to 9 percent, of the $135 billion health care market in the nation, which ranges from over-the-counter drugs to hi-tech medical equipment.

The blue portion indicates the non-underlined section. The green portion indicates option D.

Notice that the first comma in the sentence signals the beginning of the modifier in its share. So if you ignored that modifier the sentence would become By integrating its two pharmaceuticals divisions from 5 percent to 9 percent. This does not make sense. Also, what does "its" refer to? The original sentence at least talks about a "firm". So that's also a pronoun error in D.

Secondly, the entire former part of the sentence is very awkwardly phrased. The author is trying to say that after integrating the 2 separate phama divisions, the company will increase its share of the $135B market from 5% to 9%. This is not coming out clearly in D. Remember, the commas play a big role in differentiating each of the modifiers. You cannot ignore them and think the sentence is accurate.

petrifiedbutstanding

VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: By integrating its two pharmaceuticals divisions, the firm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2013, 02:48
My two cents

A) their share of the nation’s $135 billion health care market from 5 percent to 9 percent , a market ranging
Their usage is wrong
which modifies the noun touching it, hence incorrect
their usage is wrong
D) in its share , from 5 percent to 9 percent, of the $135 billion health care market in the nation , which ranges
which modifies the noun touching it, hence incorrect
Did not even checked the statement as this was the only one left,hence had to be correct

Can some one please point out mistakes in my method as to where am i going wrong ...

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2013, 03:27
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Can some one please point out mistakes in my method as to where am i going wrong ...

There is none, only the construct "to ... from" is a bit awkward. This sentence is similar to an official question
by-merging-its-two-publishing-divisions-the-company-will-45785.html?fl=similar

It has the same structure an B is wrong because "which" refers to the nation.
B) from 5 percent to 9 percent its share of $135 billion health care market in the nation , which (the nation) ranges

I just wanna point out that your method ankurgupta03 is not 100% correct.
"Which" can also modify noun that are not right next to it.

Example:
... the car of the year, which has a top speed of 300km/h.
Here which modifes car

Generally when you see: noun + modifer, which | in this kind of structure which refers to the noun.
If you look here for more about this topic noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

VP
VP
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:37
Zarrolou wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:

There is none, only the construct "to ... from" is a bit awkward. This sentence is similar to an official question
by-merging-its-two-publishing-divisions-the-company-will-45785.html?fl=similar

It has the same structure an B is wrong because "which" refers to the nation.
B) from 5 percent to 9 percent its share of $135 billion health care market in the nation , which (the nation) ranges

I just wanna point out that your method ankurgupta03 is not 100% correct.
"Which" can also modify noun that are not right next to it.

Example:
... the car of the year, which has a top speed of 300km/h.
Here which modifes car

Generally when you see: noun + modifer, which | in this kind of structure which refers to the noun.
If you look here for more about this topic noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Thanks a ton for the article, will give it a read. Can you modify the OA of the question, it might mislead some people

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Originally posted by ankurgupta03 on 07 Jun 2013, 04:26.
Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 07 Jun 2013, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2013, 12:34
kschow wrote:

Even over-headed by other explanations above, I still trust my gut and got the question right. ooh hoo............:)

Wrong. the firm is singular.

Wrong. which refers to nation.

Wrong. the firm is singular

Wrong. which refers to nation

Correct. which refers to health care market.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2013, 12:49
fameatop wrote:

Hi fametop.

I'm not 100% positive, but I just want to elaborate your idea. According to MGMAT, there are few exceptions to the Touch Rule. One of these is the OF-phrase.

For example:
The touch screen OF THE NEW IPHONE that was presented last month is very sensitive.
that refers to the touch screen, not the new iphone.

But IN-phrase like the one in this question does not follow the exception rules, hence B is wrong.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 18:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: By integrating its two pharmaceuticals divisions, the firm &nbs [#permalink] 15 Mar 2018, 18:30

By integrating its two pharmaceuticals divisions, the firm

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap