Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2011 Booth Applicants!! [#permalink]
thatsku wrote:
stormbringer wrote:
Just got this:

'As we outlined in our January Waitlist Update, some of you may receive a final decision on the mid-decision date of February 16 while others will continue to be on the waitlist. For those of you who will continue to be on the waitlist, decisions will be released as part of our Round 2 process on March 16. At this point, there will be the possibility of receiving a final decision or continuing to be on the waitlist into the next application round.'

Does decision mean rejects and admits or only admits, while others still remain in the list? Would be great if someone could clarify!

Word has it that the decision on 2/16 will likely be a rejection... much like a candidate hearing back on mid-decision date...

So essentially they've taken the waitlist and are treating it like a deferred decision situation. Now it's Dec 15 all over again. Excellent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Mortgage
Send PM
Kudos
stormbringer wrote:

So essentially they've taken the waitlist and are treating it like a deferred decision situation. Now it's Dec 15 all over again. Excellent.

Except it's like November 10 all over again, because we could get cut on the mid-decision date and then again on March 16th. I think I'm getting an ulcer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
wmcrockett wrote:
stormbringer wrote:

Except it's like November 10 all over again, because we could get cut on the mid-decision date and then again on March 16th. I think I'm getting an ulcer.

Yeah, I think it's more like November 10th with the reject or waitlist. From what I've heard (from Booth chat/emails), admits aren't happening.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
w103psp wrote:
wmcrockett wrote:
stormbringer wrote:

Yeah, I think it's more like November 10th with the reject or waitlist. From what I've heard (from Booth chat/emails), admits aren't happening.

So NO admits at all? Best case scenario is to be able to remain on the list with a greater chance of being admitted mid-March?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
stormbringer wrote:
So NO admits at all? Best case scenario is to be able to remain on the list with a greater chance of being admitted mid-March?
That's how I read the emails.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Schools:Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
Send PM
I'm going to be in Chicago next weekend for my Kellogg interview, think it's a bad idea to drop by the Harper Center? I know it's admit weekend so there's probably a lot going on, but not sure I'd be welcome.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Av wrote:
stormbringer wrote:
That's how I read the emails.

Fabulous! I am so excited, I cannot wait. Grr... why the hell didn't they just WL a reasonable number of people? Basically, they got greedy, WLed the whole damn world and now they're finding it a pain in the neck to handle so they're offloading those languishing at the bottom of their list at a random time under the guise of doing people a favour when in fact, it makes absolutely no difference because Round 2 deadlines are over.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I know it's frustrating, but earlycareermba did an excellent analysis earlier in this thread of the waitlist stats, and based on last year's data we're in a pretty good position. The percentage of people waitlisted this year is lower (based on gmatclub stats), and about half of the people on the waitlist last year ended up getting admitted. The waiting game is awful, but at least we're in a much better position than people on the Harvard or Stanford waitlists.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wmcrockett wrote:
I know it's frustrating, but earlycareermba did an excellent analysis earlier in this thread of the waitlist stats, and based on last year's data we're in a pretty good position. The percentage of people waitlisted this year is lower (based on gmatclub stats), and about half of the people on the waitlist last year ended up getting admitted. The waiting game is awful, but at least we're in a much better position than people on the Harvard or Stanford waitlists.

You are right. Our chances might be good relative to other schools but I feel like Booth is being slimy and not honouring the concept of a waitlist. They're treating it like a deferred decision, which is totally different. Making up the rules as you go along is not cool, regardless of the outcome.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
Send PM
I'm stilling wondering where all the applicants for R2 are and when they'll come out of the woodwork. R1 at 166 applicants vs. R2 at 59 applicants? Historically R2 is the largest pool, but maybe this year is different.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.95
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
stormbringer wrote:
wmcrockett wrote:

You are right. Our chances might be good relative to other schools but I feel like Booth is being slimy and not honouring the concept of a waitlist. They're treating it like a deferred decision, which is totally different. Making up the rules as you go along is not cool, regardless of the outcome.

All school's waitlists in R1 are have a deferred decision component. When they make R1 waitlist decisions, they still have two unknowns:
1) How strong R2 will be (this might be diminished slightly by schools whose R1 decisions are released after the R2 deadline)
2) What the yield of accepted applicants will eventually be

#1 above refers to your idea of a decision deferral. They want to compare the R1 waitlist with R2 applications. #2 is a pure waitlist idea. Schools need to to plan for the two unknowns above, and the waitlist is how they do it. If you are waitlisted, then you are qualified. At the end of the day, schools need to see how many spots are available, and that isn't clear after R1. Given this, I don't believe Booth is behaving any differently than any other school.

In R2, the waitlist is less of #1 above (a decision deferral) and more of #2 (waiting to see who matriculates or not).

Waitlists aren't fun, but kudos to Booth for releasing some decisions early. I don't think the mid-decision date is necessarily an indication that Booth is abusing the waitlist, if there is such thing as abusing the waitlist. Schools don't want waitlists to be any larger than they have to be because they have to keep track of that many more potential applicants and process updates from a larger pool of people.

Best of luck to those on the waitlist!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
 Q50  V34
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
In my application, the recommendations have been verified by the office, but I have not received an interview invitation yet. Can I understand this fact as my applications was already read and I will not get an invitation?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
jbharris88 wrote:
I'm stilling wondering where all the applicants for R2 are and when they'll come out of the woodwork. R1 at 166 applicants vs. R2 at 59 applicants? Historically R2 is the largest pool, but maybe this year is different.

Unless someone else has picked up where I left off, this might have something to do with the fact that I was meticulous in keeping the spreadsheet rollcall updated based on people's posts in the thread during R1 but I haven't done the same for R2 - there may be people who've identified themselves on the thread but not added their names to the spreadsheet.. also expect a lot of people to show up when admits get announced.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V40
Send PM
Yeah I'm R2 but haven't added name to SS yet or anything. Perhaps it's best for me to head to bed. but it's only short 3.5 hours till 9:05!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
 Q50  V34
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Anyone got an invitation today?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Ivy General
Schools:Booth R2, HBS R2 (w/o int), Sloan R2, Kellogg R2, LBS R2, GSB R2 w/o int
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
yeah - where was that deluge we were expecting?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
I suppose that the batches come out every morning at 9:05 from applications they reviewed the day before... since they missed the last few days due to the weather, its not really surprising that there aren't any invites that went out this morning.

I'm still waiting and hoping myself...

Best of luck to all.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  101   102   103   104   105  ...  185   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts