Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [5]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all April 2014 GMAT Test Takers! [#permalink]
bb wrote:
utkmittal1 wrote:
Hi bb

My GMAT is scheduled on 15th April in New Delhi.

I am currently facing a big issue of accuracy in Verbal. I have improved my RC accuracy a lot (Not more that 2 incorrect in any of the last 3 practice tests I have solved). Earlier it was not even 40 percent. Strategies on GMAT CLUB discussions have helped a lot. But I am facing a lot of trouble in CR. I have solved a lot of official questions in timed mode ( The whole GMATprep question bank). Was doing pretty well there. But when I solve a practice test, the accuracy drops. I just solved a Veritas Prep's CAT and god 9 out of 16 wrong. Having solved the whole question bank, I cannot judge my performance through GMATprep tests.

I want to know, are the CR questions in Veritas, Kaplan and MGMAT little a little off from the official questions...I knid of feel so. Will solving so many CR questions be any helpful in the actual GMAT? Can I count on that or should I start solving more CR questions? If you could please advise.

Hi! Sorry I have been traveling last week and missed the reply.
That's really impressive results with RC - this is the hardest area to improve and you should grab on that gain as much as you can.
My suggestions would be to stick with the official prep materials - CR is a tough topic/question type to replicate by test prep companies (there are a lot of subtleties related to scope, logic, and relationship). So stick to the official questions as much as you can (i.e. GMAT Prep and such).

P.S. I can recommend working on your mistakes still - see this post offering more insights: how-to-review-and-analyze-your-mistakes-167118.html

Thanks for the response bb. GMAT is over. Scored 760 (Q50, V42) but bombed IR...just 3. I am in a bad situation...really bad. Have no idea what to do now. In the GMAT prep test I scored 8 in both the tests and thus neglected the IR section during preparations. Probably that was the reason I could not handle my nerves during those 30 minutes. I have no idea how such a poor score is going to impact my applications. I plan to apply in 2015 and I feel that by that time Universities will start considering IR scores to some extent. Should I take GMAT again? I am well prepared right now and I feel that if I continue my preparations and book the next possible date, I can manage 760 again. Please help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
And bb you were right... sticking to the official questions is the best. It helped a lot in verbal. I solved some 850 SC 450 CR questions and around 140 RCs...everything official. I used the unofficial practice tests just to improve my timing, accuracy and concentration level. After solving so many official questions I was able to judge whether a concept tested by an unofficial question could be tested by GMAT and I used to ignore such questions. Solving official questions, as many as one can, is the best strategy...I can recall 3-4 SC questions which tested the same concepts as those tested by the questions in GMATprep question bank. I was able to solve those questions within 20 secs each and the best thing...i knew i marked them right :) I was so confident and fast during the 75 minutes of verbal section that I knew what my scores were going to be even before I was on 30th question :)

I just wish I did not lose my nerves in the IR section :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Congratulations on your impressive 760 score.

Please, where can I get those OG questions you said you solved? Or did you mean the ones on the OG text book?

I need those OG questions bank inorder to strengthen by preparation for the gmat coming up in june.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
deevick246 wrote:

Please, where can I get those OG questions you said you solved? Or did you mean the ones on the OG text book?

I need those OG questions bank inorder to strengthen by preparation for the gmat coming up in june.

Thanks

Thanks deevick246

U can find those question pools in Gmatclub downloads. Just google GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE SC/RC/CR. There are three different PDFs. Official answers are also available...search GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE SC/RC/CR OA. But caution: These questions are from the GMATprep Exams' pool. If you solve these questions, the official practice tests will be spoilt for you... every question in the tests is from these PDFs only. You will not have any official source to judge your actual progress. So, I would advise you to stay away from these questions until you are done with all the 4 GMATprep tests. And make sure you utilize those tests properly...dont waste even a single one. they are really important. I wasted 3 of them by solving the question pool...but luckily it was my second attempt and I had a decent idea of what i would face during GMAT. If you are a first timer...solve all the OGs, GMAT prep question pack(available on mba.com), GMAT prep tests (2 free and 2 paid ones). Then you can devote 15-20 days to these question pools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
utkmittal1 wrote:
deevick246 wrote:

Thanks

Thanks deevick246

U can find those question pools in Gmatclub downloads. Just google GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE SC/RC/CR. There are three different PDFs. Official answers are also available...search GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE SC/RC/CR OA. But caution: These questions are from the GMATprep Exams' pool. If you solve these questions, the official practice tests will be spoilt for you... every question in the tests is from these PDFs only. You will not have any official source to judge your actual progress. So, I would advise you to stay away from these questions until you are done with all the 4 GMATprep tests. And make sure you utilize those tests properly...dont waste even a single one. they are really important. I wasted 3 of them by solving the question pool...but luckily it was my second attempt and I had a decent idea of what i would face during GMAT. If you are a first timer...solve all the OGs, GMAT prep question pack(available on mba.com), GMAT prep tests (2 free and 2 paid ones). Then you can devote 15-20 days to these question pools.

what do u mean by 2 free and 2 paid gmatprep test.
are there any test that we have to buy separately.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMAT Club Bot