Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
I have a question on Essay #1...

Quote:
If you could change one thing you've done in your life, what would it be, and how would you do it differently? (250 word maximum)

Is the adcom looking for a specific event/action or could it be, for example, a lifestyle choice. I would like to talk about how I wish I would have gotten involved in volunteering at a younger age, but not sure if they want a more specific mistake/regret scenario.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
TL wrote:
I have a question on Essay #1...

Quote:
If you could change one thing you've done in your life, what would it be, and how would you do it differently? (250 word maximum)

Is the adcom looking for a specific event/action or could it be, for example, a lifestyle choice. I would like to talk about how I wish I would have gotten involved in volunteering at a younger age, but not sure if they want a more specific mistake/regret scenario.

We didn't get this question last year, but I would approach it the same way as any essays. You can talk about a lifestyle choice, but just make sure you support it with concrete and specific examples, and why you would have changed it. That is the meat of the essay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
Hi kryzak,

I had a quick question regarding the average age of students at Haas. I am currently 28/F/Taiwanese-American, and had thought about applying this year. I wouldn't be able to make R2 (still pending on taking the GMATs), and had contemplated R3, although I'm not sure how that would fare given this year's competitive pool.

I'm interested in pursuing a career in non-profit technology. I worked 5 years in corporate IT (systems developer/project manager) for a large pharmaceutical company, and I just finished a year as an AmeriCorps volunteer in NYC (working with the anti-hunger community via soup kitchens/food pantries --- I know, huge change from pharma!). I've just signed on to be an independent systems consultant for a non-profit IT consulting org next month.

Will it hurt if I push back another year?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
slsu wrote:
Hi kryzak,

I had a quick question regarding the average age of students at Haas. I am currently 28/F/Taiwanese-American, and had thought about applying this year. I wouldn't be able to make R2 (still pending on taking the GMATs), and had contemplated R3, although I'm not sure how that would fare given this year's competitive pool.

I'm interested in pursuing a career in non-profit technology. I worked 5 years in corporate IT (systems developer/project manager) for a large pharmaceutical company, and I just finished a year as an AmeriCorps volunteer in NYC (working with the anti-hunger community via soup kitchens/food pantries --- I know, huge change from pharma!). I've just signed on to be an independent systems consultant for a non-profit IT consulting org next month.

Hi there,

Round 3 is generally more competitive, but with your pretty unique experience and goals, I think you could probably make a good case and have a good chance of getting an interview. Of course, moving it back one year (and getting more non-profit experience) will definitely help (and won't hurt) your chances. Berkeley's average age is somewhere around 28, and there are quite a few of us 30+ people here (over 15%).

hope that helps!
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
bostonsparky wrote:
The key is to show something about you that is as unique as that concert pianist or marathoner. If not, can you really blame them for dinging you?

Oh yeah of course, I just reiterated it on the board because a lot of people focus too much on the GMAT score. So it just served as proof that yes, the whole package is what matters most. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
I thought the rest of the applicant pool was about 13% too?

I think it ended up around 11.7% this year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Cornell '11
Send PM
I'm pretty much set w/ my essays but am really struggling to come up with something for short essay #1 about what my biggest regret is. Anyone care to share what they wrote?
Current Student
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
 Q48  V47
Send PM
glettian wrote:
I'm pretty much set w/ my essays but am really struggling to come up with something for short essay #1 about what my biggest regret is. Anyone care to share what they wrote?

Great place to address whatever is the weakest part of your app I think rather than the optional essays. Obviously don't write it about 'I wish I had done better on my GMAT' but maybe for example out of work extra curriculars once you graduated college. I know a lot of people who didn't do much for that when they started their 1st job out of work because they (understandably) wanted to see how much of their schedule work would take up before committing to anything else. Easy to then transition into the out of work activities you've done as you got more settled.

This is spoken from a 27-year old's perspective so if you are younger forgive me if the above doesn't help much.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I uploaded this scrappy footage I took of Haas when I visited campus last year. Sorry for the shakiness...there was some event going on and I didn't want to look like a total tourist. Anyway it should give you a look at the campus if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw28AdJpaX0
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Seasick....so, so, so seasick....... :wink:

TL wrote:
I uploaded this scrappy footage I took of Haas when I visited campus last year. Sorry for the shakiness...there was some event going on and I didn't want to look like a total tourist. Anyway it should give you a look at the campus if you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw28AdJpaX0
Manager
Manager
Send PM
raabenb wrote:
Seasick....so, so, so seasick....... :wink:

Okay maybe I should title the video "walking Haas in a drunken stupor"...since who knows, maybe this is how it will look to most students at some point anyway? :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll have a better assessment when I visit campus next week!

Do you happen to know of anyone in the MOT program? I am trying to see if I can speak to one of their students during my visit.

Thank you!

kryzak wrote:
slsu wrote:
Hi kryzak,

Hi there,

Round 3 is generally more competitive, but with your pretty unique experience and goals, I think you could probably make a good case and have a good chance of getting an interview. Of course, moving it back one year (and getting more non-profit experience) will definitely help (and won't hurt) your chances. Berkeley's average age is somewhere around 28, and there are quite a few of us 30+ people here (over 15%).

hope that helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Well, I'm not technically *in the program*, but I attended (and currently attend) several courses that go into the certificate. Feel free to PM me with questions, and/or we can meet on campus if time allows.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Hi slsu,

Also let me know when and where you'll be on campus. I may have 10-15 minutes to meet up too.

But braindancer would probably be a much better person to speak with since he's taking those classes.

slsu wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the information. I guess I'll have a better assessment when I visit campus next week!

Do you happen to know of anyone in the MOT program? I am trying to see if I can speak to one of their students during my visit.

Thank you!
Current Student
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Hey all-

pretty much got all my essays done. The only one I have left is:

(Optional). If you wish to be considered for a Haas Achievement Award (for individuals who have achieved success in spite of significant economic, educational, health-related and/or other obstacles), please use this space to address the obstacles you have overcome. (750-word maximum)

My question is - how many students normally receive this award each year? Just a couple, or a decent amount of the program? As a peace corps volunteer Im thinking about applying for this but don't want to spend the time cranking out a huge essay if it only goes to 1 person who came from some war-torn nation or grew up paralyzed from the waist down. I don't say the above in a condescending tone, just wanted to state that I'm sure there'll be a couple more deserving people than I.
Current Student
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Another app question while Im at it:

>>
'Sponsorship

Check here if your MBA education will be funded by an organization other than yourself, your family, loans, or an employer, such as Fulbright, Muskie, etc. Do not check this box if your source of funding is yourself.
<<

Confused about this one. I plan on applying for Federal loans, does that mean I should check the box?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
Another app question while Im at it:

>>
'Sponsorship

Check here if your MBA education will be funded by an organization other than yourself, your family, loans, or an employer, such as Fulbright, Muskie, etc. Do not check this box if your source of funding is yourself.
<<

Confused about this one. I plan on applying for Federal loans, does that mean I should check the box?

Sounds like you check the box.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  32