Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Re: Calling all CBS deferred ED applicants! [#permalink]
I have a suspicion a number of people here may be hanging around this thread during the day. If you find yourself bored - join the chat at https://gmatclub.com/chat . There may not be a big group at all times, but I suspect you will overlap with other applicants soon enough. This applies from now until decision day.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys, I just recieved the email... I'm out :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
california1 wrote:
Guys, I just recieved the email... I'm out :(

Sorry to hear that! :( Did your email offer any encouragement to reapply or provide a reason? This is such a nerve-wracking process...I sure hope your other apps fare better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Here's the email:

Thank you for applying to Columbia Business School. After careful review and consideration by the Admissions Committee, we are unable to offer you admission. We are sorry to disappoint you, but the number of qualified applicants who applied for admission makes this situation inevitable.

We did not make this decision easily. We appreciate the time and effort you spent preparing your application and your interest in Columbia Business School. While it is never pleasant to receive disappointing news, we hope that you will find other ways to achieve your professional goals.

Thank you again for your interest to Columbia Business School. We wish you much success in your future endeavors.
Current Student
Send PM
california1 wrote:
Here's the email:

Thank you for applying to Columbia Business School. After careful review and consideration by the Admissions Committee, we are unable to offer you admission. We are sorry to disappoint you, but the number of qualified applicants who applied for admission makes this situation inevitable.

We did not make this decision easily. We appreciate the time and effort you spent preparing your application and your interest in Columbia Business School. While it is never pleasant to receive disappointing news, we hope that you will find other ways to achieve your professional goals.

Thank you again for your interest to Columbia Business School. We wish you much success in your future endeavors.

Yea, it is a numbers game. Apply to 5 to 7, and hope you get into at least 1. Just gotta be positive dude. Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
california1 wrote:
Here's the email:

Sorry to hear that. When did you get deferred?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got deferred around December 10th
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
california1 wrote:
I got deferred around December 10th

Thanks. Been waiting since 1st week of October...I can't wait for Feb 1. No matter the outcome, I just want to know and move on with my life. CBS is my last school, been dinged / W/L everywhere else.
Current Student
Send PM
bluecollarhero wrote:
Thanks. Been waiting since 1st week of October...I can't wait for Feb 1. No matter the outcome, I just want to know and move on with my life. CBS is my last school, been dinged / W/L everywhere else.

I hear you. Though my deferral prompted me to apply to several additional schools in R2 (so there's still hope regardless of the outcome), I really need some closure - it's been five long months since I submitted my application, and I want to move on. Here's hoping that we get some news by COB tomorrow.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I hear classes at Columbia are cancelled today.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dinged. Finally the misery is over. Best of luck to all of you!
Current Student
Send PM
bluecollarhero wrote:
Dinged. Finally the misery is over. Best of luck to all of you!

Likewise. Kind of disappointing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Columbia ED (Deferred), Yale SOM (Accepted), Stern (WL), Tuck, Wharton (Ding)
Send PM
carriedinterest wrote:
bluecollarhero wrote:

I hear you. Though my deferral prompted me to apply to several additional schools in R2 (so there's still hope regardless of the outcome), I really need some closure - it's been five long months since I submitted my application, and I want to move on. Here's hoping that we get some news by COB tomorrow.

I hear you on the closure. Thats all i need at this point. CBS is all upside for me. If I get in, I'll likely go as it was my first choice. If i dont, Ill go somewhere else. I just need to know whats up already!
Current Student
Send PM
I also got a ding email (looks like they're cleaning house today). They suggested that I apply to the EMBA program, which makes me wonder whether they actually read my essays(!). I was very clear that I am looking to change career tracks, and clearly outlined the reasons why I need a full-time MBA to achieve my goals.

On the bright side, the deferral period gave me a chance to look into other schools and led me to the realization that CBS probably wasn't the best fit for me. I'm looking forward to the next couple of months and doing my best to remain optimistic about my prospects for admission elsewhere.

Best of luck to you all with your other apps. I'd genuinely like to know how things turn out, so do keep me posted!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
carriedinterest wrote:
I also got a ding email (looks like they're cleaning house today). They suggested that I apply to the EMBA program, which makes me wonder whether they actually read my essays(!). I was very clear that I am looking to change career tracks, and clearly outlined the reasons why I need a full-time MBA to achieve my goals.

On the bright side, the deferral period gave me a chance to look into other schools and led me to the realization that CBS probably wasn't the best fit for me. I'm looking forward to the next couple of months and doing my best to remain optimistic about my prospects for admission elsewhere.

Best of luck to you all with your other apps. I'd genuinely like to know how things turn out, so do keep me posted!

Hi folks, same here, basically, except without the EMBA.

Like you, I realized, after applying, that it wasn't the best fit. The alumnus I interviewed with was rude and hostile, as was the adcom member who interviewed me later on. Both gave me a very poor impression of the school, which I will carry with me.

It's all for the better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
osbornecox wrote:
carriedinterest wrote:

Like you, I realized, after applying, that it wasn't the best fit. The alumnus I interviewed with was rude and hostile, as was the adcom member who interviewed me later on. Both gave me a very poor impression of the school, which I will carry with me.

It's all for the better.

To me, the fact that it took them 5 months to give us a response, significantly changed my view about the school, especially about the importance the admin office gives to our time and piece of mind. But anyway, since it was the first school I applied to, the experience learned (resume, essays, interviews, etc) has helped me a lot on my other applications. Best of luck to all of you!
Current Student
Send PM
california1 wrote:
osbornecox wrote:
carriedinterest wrote:

It's all for the better.

To me, the fact that it took them 5 months to give us a response, significantly changed my view about the school, especially about the importance the admin office gives to our time and piece of mind. But anyway, since it was the first school I applied to, the experience learned (resume, essays, interviews, etc) has helped me a lot on my other applications. Best of luck to all of you!

Agreed. I know I did everything I could. 700+ GMAT, great recommendations, continual updates, promotion, campus visits, spoke with waitlist manager, awesome feedback from recommender, alumni support, employer sponsorship, etc.

AdCom, including waitlist manager, remained impersonal and detached, which only made me doubt their sincerity and interest. This deferral process should be banned in my opinion as it conflicts with the philosophy of the Early Decision process.

Nevertheless, this experience helped me improve my other applications. I look forward to hearing from other schools.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts