It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 157

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 05:26
GK_Gmat wrote:
Hey Guys -

Rejected without interview.

Profile:
730 GMAT (Q 79%, V 97%, Total 96%), GPA 3.21 Economics
Work ex: 5 yrs, 4 yrs mgt. consltng (US) + 1 yr M&A (India) both with globally well known, reputed firms
ECs: Decent
Leadership: Decent
Origin: Indian

Applied ED on Sep 24. Thought I submitted a top-notch application but obviously not. This was a dream school for quite some time so the rejection is disappointing to say the least.

Congrats to those who are in. Good luck to those waiting. And f*ck this shit for us who got rejected.



May be your age did you in ( if thats true)..what I am finding is that Columbia is heavily following its "peer schools" ( I love the way they always place this word)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2008
Posts: 36

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Location: France
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2008, 08:57
Has anyone who applied on Oct 7th received some kind of notification?
(aside from the one dude on BW)

Still waiting...

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 12:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
deckardbr wrote:
Has anyone who applied on Oct 7th received some kind of notification?
(aside from the one dude on BW)

Still waiting...


I submitted 10/7 and just received the interview invite.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2008
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 12:50
Hi, I submitted on 10/7 as well and am starting to feel nervous about not hearing anything. How has everyone been receiving their interview invitations? Through phone? Email?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 316

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 3

Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 13:36
Quick transcript question:

Current GPA - this is the GPA for the specified semester?
Cumulative GPA - this is the cumulative GPA for all of the semesters thus far?

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 3

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 348

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Schools: Fuqua '11
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 13:42
foodstamp wrote:
Quick transcript question:

Current GPA - this is the GPA for the specified semester?
Cumulative GPA - this is the cumulative GPA for all of the semesters thus far?


Yes, aka:

Fall 2002
Math-A
Psychology-A
History-B
Gym-B

Current GPA 3.5
Cumulative GPA 3.5

Spring 2003
Social Studies-A
Physics-A
Art-B
Speling-D

Current GPA: 3.0
Cumulative GPA: 3.25

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 850

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 14:18
bostonsparky wrote:
Speling-D


:lol:

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 316

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 3

Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 14:46
thanks

nice catch soni lol

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 3

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1263

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 14:47
bostonsparky wrote:
foodstamp wrote:
Quick transcript question:

Current GPA - this is the GPA for the specified semester?
Cumulative GPA - this is the cumulative GPA for all of the semesters thus far?


Yes, aka:

Fall 2002
Math-A
Psychology-A
History-B
Gym-B

Current GPA 3.5
Cumulative GPA 3.5

Spring 2003
Social Studies-A
Physics-A
Art-B
Speling-D

Current GPA: 3.0
Cumulative GPA: 3.25



I don't know if I agree with that. I think current and cumulative is the same thing. Since people usually don't have a current GPA, since their grades are always from the previous semester (hence not current). I think current and cumulative are the same!
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 348

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Schools: Fuqua '11
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 15:09
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/sas/acad ... bation.htm

>>
What is The Difference Between A Current GPA And A Cumulative GPA?

The current GPA is the grade point average for a given semester; the cumulative GPA is the grade point average of all semesters at Calvin combined.
<<

and I'm glad someone picked up on my transcript humor :)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1263

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2008, 15:25
bostonsparky wrote:
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/sas/academic_probation.htm

>>
What is The Difference Between A Current GPA And A Cumulative GPA?

The current GPA is the grade point average for a given semester; the cumulative GPA is the grade point average of all semesters at Calvin combined.
<<

and I'm glad someone picked up on my transcript humor :)



wow never knew that. Hmm I've always used them interchangably, only difference is that for current is when I say it, cumulative is for resume.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1632

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2008, 12:38
Has anyone at all been waitlisted in the ED round this year? I swear that I haven't seen anyone get a WL either here or on the BW forums.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1499

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Schools: NYU Stern '11
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2008, 13:59
I've wondered about that myself, there haven't been any WLs or Deferrals reported so far. Perhaps CBS expects their yield to be that sky high this year that they don't expect any movement on the WL at all? It's still too early in the application season however.

terp06 wrote:
Has anyone at all been waitlisted in the ED round this year? I swear that I haven't seen anyone get a WL either here or on the BW forums.

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1632

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2008, 14:04
There were several WLs on GMATClub last year. Are they expecting to fill their class with laid-off finance people and other last minute applicants to the RD round?
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2008, 19:39
So I'm working on essay 2 and am looking for advice. I understand that the question is asking about an example where you learned more from an experience than a theory but...do you have to reference a particular theory? Do you have to lay out what you thought would happen based on that theory? And then what was different?

My current draft describes something I did and what I learned from it, but it doesn't reference anything in particular...

I just want to make sure I don't miss a major component of the essay!!
thanks for your help,
ac.

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 31

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1263

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2008, 10:56
ac8706 wrote:
So I'm working on essay 2 and am looking for advice. I understand that the question is asking about an example where you learned more from an experience than a theory but...do you have to reference a particular theory? Do you have to lay out what you thought would happen based on that theory? And then what was different?

My current draft describes something I did and what I learned from it, but it doesn't reference anything in particular...

I just want to make sure I don't miss a major component of the essay!!
thanks for your help,
ac.


I like their explaination the best
http://www.mbamission.com/blog/2008/07/ ... 2008-2009/

it seems to give more direction than clear admit, but you can also try clear admit.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 20

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 157

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2008, 11:15
Received an interview invite...phew

Totally gave up any hope of getting one...

Interview is on 9th with an adcom officer

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 316

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 3

Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2008, 12:33
congrats filmcity!

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 3

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2008, 14:42
GoBruins wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
So I'm working on essay 2 and am looking for advice. I understand that the question is asking about an example where you learned more from an experience than a theory but...do you have to reference a particular theory? Do you have to lay out what you thought would happen based on that theory? And then what was different?

My current draft describes something I did and what I learned from it, but it doesn't reference anything in particular...

I just want to make sure I don't miss a major component of the essay!!
thanks for your help,
ac.


I like their explaination the best
http://www.mbamission.com/blog/2008/07/ ... 2008-2009/

it seems to give more direction than clear admit, but you can also try clear admit.


thanks!!

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 31

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Posts: 367

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2008, 12:59
i don't know if any of you have looked at the columbia ed google spreadsheet on the BW forums...but how come some applicants were accepted without an interview? how does that work? I thought interviews were required...

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2008, 12:59

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40  ...  59    Next  [ 1168 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.