GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2008, 17:53
sterny wrote:
I honestly think my interview went good. I had prepared for the questions that were asked - leadership, teamwork, ethical, why cbs, why mba. It was a conversational interview, and I don't recall any awkwardness or difficult conversation pieces. It went fairly smoothly.

The recommender even said he would recommend me for admission - so I don't think the interview was the problem.

As I said before in a separate thread, maybe our fates are sealed before we even walk into the interview...I guess there is some truth to it.

I got Wharton and Cornell interviews next - hoping my fate is sealed the right way there :)

Sorry to hear that sterny.

My opinion is that the interviews can go three ways:
i) Consistent with the application - which probably happens in majority cases
ii) Screw up - i think this happens in some cases and keep people from getting in
iii) Way better than the application - e.g. we show some amazing aspect of our candidacy not shown in the application - a small number of cases

Assuming most of us fall in category (i) the decision rests on where we fall relative to competition. It sucks that we have no control over that.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2008, 08:31
Done with the interview, Nov 18th.

Now waiting for the interviewer to submit the feedback form...

... it annoys me that every day that passes, it's just time being wasted. :-/

Ok... I'll try and keep busy...

Best of luck to everyone.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2008, 09:57
levfin2003 wrote:

Sorry to hear that sterny.

My opinion is that the interviews can go three ways:
i) Consistent with the application - which probably happens in majority cases
ii) Screw up - i think this happens in some cases and keep people from getting in
iii) Way better than the application - e.g. we show some amazing aspect of our candidacy not shown in the application - a small number of cases

Assuming most of us fall in category (i) the decision rests on where we fall relative to competition. It sucks that we have no control over that.

I agree, and I often feel that if #3 doesn't happen for people, it's not necessarily because you had a bad interview, it's just because you did a thorough job describing yourself in the application. I would definitely advise against trying to bring up a bunch of random factoids about yourself(I went to Iceland once! I have a friend who's cousin once played basketball with Obama etc etc) if it prevents you from properly describing the things you have involved yourself with on a longterm basis. That's not to say you shouldn't bring up some interesting experiences, but make sure they help illustrate an important goal, characteristic or achievement of yours.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2008, 10:27
bostonsparky wrote:
it's not necessarily because you had a bad interview, it's just because you did a thorough job describing yourself in the application. I would definitely advise against trying to bring up a bunch of random factoids about yourself(I went to Iceland once! I have a friend who's cousin once played basketball with Obama etc etc) if it prevents you from properly describing the things you have involved yourself with on a longterm basis. That's not to say you shouldn't bring up some interesting experiences, but make sure they help illustrate an important goal, characteristic or achievement of yours.

Definitely. The application/essays are much more detailed descriptions of my candidacy. Its difficult to present everything in complete DEPTH during a 30 minutes interview. Though someone told me that I can take the interview in a direction where my passions are discussed.

BTW- This might have been asked before. But how is everyone showing their personal side given that Columbia does not have a personal/passion essay anymore?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2008, 10:31
good question...I am struggling with the same exact issue...any takers?

msday, sterny?? any suggestions?

levfin2003 wrote:
bostonsparky wrote:
it's not necessarily because you had a bad interview, it's just because you did a thorough job describing yourself in the application. I would definitely advise against trying to bring up a bunch of random factoids about yourself(I went to Iceland once! I have a friend who's cousin once played basketball with Obama etc etc) if it prevents you from properly describing the things you have involved yourself with on a longterm basis. That's not to say you shouldn't bring up some interesting experiences, but make sure they help illustrate an important goal, characteristic or achievement of yours.

Definitely. The application/essays are much more detailed descriptions of my candidacy. Its difficult to present everything in complete DEPTH during a 30 minutes interview. Though someone told me that I can take the interview in a direction where my passions are discussed.

BTW- This might have been asked before. But how is everyone showing their personal side given that Columbia does not have a personal/passion essay anymore?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2008, 15:10
Just came back to say..this ding still hurts! I worked on this app the longest, and columbia was my best researched school.

Almost feels like i wish i had got dinged without an interview, cos the getting an interview call raised up my hopes and me feel like I was 'almost there'.

I am hoping this doesn't become a recurring theme for me - dinged with interview. Cos that will be just torturing me.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2008, 15:21
sterny wrote:
Just came back to say..this ding still hurts! I worked on this app the longest, and columbia was my best researched school.

Almost feels like i wish i had got dinged without an interview, cos the getting an interview call raised up my hopes and me feel like I was 'almost there'.

I am hoping this doesn't become a recurring theme for me - dinged with interview. Cos that will be just torturing me.

Sorry to hear, again sterny. I feel (almost) the same way about Wharton, except now I'm falling madly for chicago Booth. Hope I don't get dinged again :(
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2008, 16:10
sterny wrote:

dinged without interview is worst. But same way, columbia was my best researched school and my longest app. Interviewing lets you know you were in the game, if you don't get an interview you just wonder did you ever have a chance.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2008, 10:06
My application is now complete: 11/20

Submitted: 10/7
Under review: 10/9
Interview invite: 11/12
Interviewed: 11/18
Complete: 11/20
Final decision: ??

I will let you know how it goes...

Best of luck everyone.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2008, 23:54
Submitted for RD! Woo.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 10:13
Sounds as if I should turn mine in pretty soon(I pretty much finished it as I did my other apps back in Oct). Considering the deadline's still 40+ days away I hate to rush myself but I get the idea that a big bulge of apps will be flooding in over turkey day when people have some time off. Anyone else in my boat?
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 10:25
deadline is not 40 days away, the deadline is in mar/april ! They start reviewing apps 40 days away.
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 10:30
terp26 wrote:
deadline is not 40 days away, the deadline is in mar/april ! They start reviewing apps 40 days away.

indeed you are correct. but since a lot of the places I'm applying to R1 require deposits in March or so, it's essentially a deadline for me since I can't wait until May to hear from these guys. Though from the feedback on the ED apps it seems as if the 12 week maximum window actually ends up being much shorter.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 11:04
BostonSparky - I had a similar thought process. I figured that a lot of folks would be submitting apps over Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. Since the apps are read in the order they're received, I wanted to get my app in before that holiday rush...

I wouldn't rush your app though - if you think it'll be better if you submit it in mid-Dec, then do that...
Manager
Manager
Recommendation Letter for Columbia  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 12:53
Hi Guys,

I had a quick question... does anyone know what would be the guideline that I should give to my recommenders in terms of length of letter and specific content guidelines?

I ask b/c some schools (e.g. Haas) goes as far as asking recommenders to address specific questions that they provide. Recommenders are discouraged to submit an all encompassing single letter.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 22:33
Sorry everyone for not posting on here lately. I just got home from the library, and that pretty much sums up every day since I have started school. First semester is a grind to say the least, but it will get easier. Balancing classes, recruiting, clubs, and deliverables due every day is tough. Being so close to Wall Street allows for much more face time with bankers, traders, and the like. The semester is winding down though, so I will have only recruiting to focus on over the break. Hopefully in January I will land a job for the summer, and then I can enjoy second semester with just classes, clubs, homework, and something to fill the void left by recruiting. Almost forgot, if I do land a summer internship, I will spend second semester praying that bank does not fail.

If all goes to plan, I will nail my summer internship, get an offer at the end of the summer, and cruise for my entire second year. Most second years in that situation are living la vida right now.

All said and done, I love it! Columbia is a blast! The people, the courses, the opportunities, the knowlege, the camraderie...it's all great! If you have questions, please PM me because sometimes valuable information gets lost in these threads. If the question can benefit everyone, I will post the answer in the thread. I am an ambassador for prospective students at school, so if you decide to visit I can give you the grand tour. I will also be at accepted students events, so you if you have been accepted you can find me there.

Too all those who have been dinged or WL, I am sorry, and I hope that you get into another one of your choice schools. One thing that GMATClub has shown is that everything does happen for a reason. Seriously, history has proven so on this website. To all those who have been accepted, congrats and get ready, it will be here before you know it!

Back to the books!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 23:35
Columbia was my first application! I submitted on 10/30 :)
Current Student
Schools: Tuck

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2008, 04:13
Hi, I applied to Columbia ED close to the deadline (around half an hour before). I still have not got any feedback on my application. Is that normal? should I worried? Is there anyone in my situation?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2008, 04:23
hi llest,

You are not alone - feel free to check out the CBS ED BW spreadsheet. It shows that quite a few who submitted on the deadline are still waiting.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... y3_t4PVPHw

Hang in there, the committee is reviewing applications till Wed this week, before the long weekend.

Best of luck
Current Student
Schools: Tuck

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2008, 11:26
Thanks for your reply. I have seen the the gmat average for the dinged ones is higher, I guess GMAT is not as important at the end :D

I have seen only 3 users that applied on october 8th and any have received feedback. Wednesday (tomorrow) is the las day to know anything?
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! &nbs [#permalink] 25 Nov 2008, 11:26

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  59    Next  [ 1168 posts ] 

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap