It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 02:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2008, 23:43
When you preview your whole app, does it cut off stuff if you go beyond 400 chars (or some similar limit)? I remember having some issues with formatting when I previewed my app, so I went back and changed things to roughly 250-350 chars.

In general, I've been pretty anal about word/character limits in all of my apps. Not sure if going over by a few words/sentences really matters, but I'd prefer to be on the safer side and follow adcom's instructions closely.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 09:35
I am having this problem as well. Has anyone contacted admissions about this?
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 10:17
levfin2003 wrote:
I am having this problem as well. Has anyone contacted admissions about this?

Here's how to do it:

1. save your word doc as a .txt (plain text) document
2. copy and paste to the activities, essays, etc.
3. save the work without making any edits (it will probably look clean at this point)
4. after saving your pasted work, go back and edit--words will be cut off at the end and punctuation will have errors.
5. after your edits are complete, save it again.
6. go back to double check but it should be clean at this point.

FYI--I used about 750 characters for one of my activities sections. 400 just wasn't enough and I'm willing to risk it.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2008, 11:59
does anyone know if we're allowed to upload our transcript in PDF? I can't tell. it says we can't upload in jpeg or any other image format, but then it mentions something about a pdf, but I have no idea. I dont want to enter every single class i've taken in the self reported excel worksheet if i can just upload them in PDF. Can people comment on how they've addressed the transcript issue?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 18:45
Although CBS follows a rolling admission, Jan 7th is the deadline for submitting the application for Fall'09 to be considered for scholarships. The progress I am making in writing my essays, its going to be hard meeting the Jan 7th deadline (for me). Does anybody know of other disadvantages of submitting the app late (from Jan 7th) by a couple of weeks?

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 20:13
leonidas wrote:
Although CBS follows a rolling admission, Jan 7th is the deadline for submitting the application for Fall'09 to be considered for scholarships. The progress I am making in writing my essays, its going to be hard meeting the Jan 7th deadline (for me). Does anybody know of other disadvantages of submitting the app late (from Jan 7th) by a couple of weeks?

The biggest disadvantage is the rolling admission. From what I've heard, they recieve close to 50% of their RD apps around the deadline date (Jan 7th). I'm pretty sure they recieve a significant chunk of apps before the deadline date also. So, the later you submit your app, the less spots are available in the incoming class since they've already been filled up, the lower the odds of admission. I would think the biggest disadvantage is for people who are already part of an overrepresented group to apply late. For people with unique profiles, it shouldn't matter too much.

Although, if your essays are going to be much better, then I would suggest take your time and don't worry about Jan 7th. A friend of mine did turn in his app last February and he is now matriculating at Columbia.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2009, 10:48
yellowjacket wrote:
leonidas wrote:

The biggest disadvantage is the rolling admission. From what I've heard, they recieve close to 50% of their RD apps around the deadline date (Jan 7th). I'm pretty sure they recieve a significant chunk of apps before the deadline date also. So, the later you submit your app, the less spots are available in the incoming class since they've already been filled up, the lower the odds of admission. I would think the biggest disadvantage is for people who are already part of an overrepresented group to apply late. For people with unique profiles, it shouldn't matter too much.

Although, if your essays are going to be much better, then I would suggest take your time and don't worry about Jan 7th. A friend of mine did turn in his app last February and he is now matriculating at Columbia.

Thanks. Though I am in the overrepresented group, a good essay few days late is much better than a lousy one before 7th. I recently found about the EC essays from the application so was a little startled.

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 08:49
hi all,

are you guys actually writing essays for EC section? it is a bit confusing: on the top it says "list upto 3 activities" and below that it says "add essay"...also on the top it says (400 character limit) which i think means 400 words based on the size of the text box....

i find it hard to believe one would have to write an essay here....never seen it on any of the other apps? how can you write so much about ECs? what say?

thanks in advance.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 12:08
tarunmalik wrote:
hi all,

are you guys actually writing essays for EC section? it is a bit confusing: on the top it says "list upto 3 activities" and below that it says "add essay"...also on the top it says (400 character limit) which i think means 400 words based on the size of the text box....

i find it hard to believe one would have to write an essay here....never seen it on any of the other apps? how can you write so much about ECs? what say?

thanks in advance.....

I am pretty sure this section is just used to list/briefly describe your ECs. I stuck to the character limit.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 13:04
that's what i thought foodstamp...the thing that surprised me was after i had listed the ECs in the text box, below the text box it said "59640 characters left"....made me think something was wrong...
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 17:12
Can anyone please comment on how they handled the transcript! I'm still unclear if we have to use the excel spreadsheets or we can upload a pdf.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 18:47
I submitted RD application yesterday. Please update on first page.
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: HBS, Columbia, Wharton, BU ($$)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 20:31
Mclaughlin wrote:
Can anyone please comment on how they handled the transcript! I'm still unclear if we have to use the excel spreadsheets or we can upload a pdf.

In the instructions they say:
Quote:
UPLOAD TRANSCRIPT ONLY IN THE EXCEL FILE 97-2003 FORMAT. AN ERROR WILL OCCUR UPON UPLOADING AN EXCEL 2007 FILE (.XLSX). IF YOU HAVE OFFICE 2007, WHEN SAVING YOUR FILE MAKE SURE TO SELECT 'EXCEL 97-2003 WORKBOOK (*.XLS)' FROM THE SAVE AS TYPE DROP DOWN.

SCANNED TRANSCRIPTS IN JPG OR OTHER IMAGE FORMATS ARE NOT SUPPORTED

You can find the excel spreadsheet for the self-reported transcript at this link
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 20:45
Yes thank you. I obviously read that, and did not need the both bold AND caps copy and paste from their site however, it also says further down that you can submit transcripts via uploading in PDF if you can't upload the excel sheet. I was curious to know if anyone had done that, as it doesn't seem like the preferred way to do it and I wouldn't want points against me.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 20:53
I submitted PDF transcripts and was invited to interview earlier in the ED cycle, so PDF is fine.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2009, 22:55
hey solaris1..did you list your ECs or write essays/detailed descriptions....there seems to be a problem with the word limits specified
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern '11

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 07:47
With a 400 character limit, there's not much you can besides simply listing your ECs, including a very brief description, any offices held, and dates.

And that's just what I did.

tarunmalik wrote:
hey solaris1..did you list your ECs or write essays/detailed descriptions....there seems to be a problem with the word limits specified
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 07:51
solaris1 wrote:
I submitted PDF transcripts and was invited to interview earlier in the ED cycle, so PDF is fine.

Thanks! Good to know!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 17:08
Submitted!!!

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: HBS, Columbia, Wharton, BU ($$)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 18:15
Recs are in, essays are proof-read, fee is paid... consider me applied! :-D
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2009, 18:15

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  40   41   42   43   44   45   46  ...  59    Next  [ 1168 posts ] 

Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap