Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1106 [0]
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wonder if we can apply for MBA and MSc. at the same time... I wanna apply for both. :D

Today is the first time I try to apply online for MBA Cornell. Just being curious, I read this thing. What's it for?

Additional Information:
"Is your spouse or significant other applying to the Johnson School this year?"

For Employment History, could anyone please verify what they mean by "week hours" and "number of supervised"?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Cornell is so quiet...
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
solidcolor wrote:
I wonder if we can apply for MBA and MSc. at the same time... I wanna apply for both. :D

Today is the first time I try to apply online for MBA Cornell. Just being curious, I read this thing. What's it for?

Additional Information:
"Is your spouse or significant other applying to the Johnson School this year?"

For Employment History, could anyone please verify what they mean by "week hours" and "number of supervised"?

This is so they don't ding your spouse meaning you probably won't accept the offer. In that case, they'll just ding both of you!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
10 more days.

Coming up on the home stretch.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
The spouse question is so they consider you as a team so to speak, several schools do this (Tuck does it too). If one is a very strong candidate and the other is borderline then it will really help the weaker applicant. Unfortunately this also works if one is borderline and one is a poor candidate. They do this so if they wont accept you and ding your spouse, though that may happen on a rare occasion.

At the Tuck event, I was told generally it helps your application because they like to have some married couples there. Its a good stat to help recruit students.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks riverripper.

My significant one is doing his PhD degree in Cornell (Computer Science). To be honest this is so far the most important reason for me to apply into Cornell. Anyway he's not in the Johnson School. Hmm...

I am considering 3 choices:
1. MSc in RE (PRE - Program in Real Estate)
2. MBA
3. Dual Degree (PRE and Johnson)

It would be nice if I can apply for (1) and (2) at the same time. (If no one here has any clear idea about this, I'm gonna email the AdCom tomorrow).

Dual Degree sounds interesting. Does it mean the application is double challenging (need admissions from both schools) and the course will be too heavy?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
solidcolor wrote:
Thanks riverripper.

My significant one is doing his PhD degree in Cornell (Computer Science). To be honest this is so far the most important reason for me to apply into Cornell. Anyway he's not in the Johnson School. Hmm...

2. MBA

It would be nice if I can apply for (1) and (2) at the same time. (If no one here has any clear idea about this, I'm gonna email the AdCom tomorrow).

Dual Degree sounds interesting. Does it mean the application is double challenging (need admissions from both schools) and the course will be too heavy?

This will definitely help your chances.

I think I read somewhere that they accpet 10-12 PHD students out of 500 applicants.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
solidcolor wrote:
Thanks riverripper. This is a favorable answer.

My significant one is doing his PhD degree in Cornell (first year). To be honest this is so far the most important reason for me to apply into Cornell.

2. MBA

Have you read about the 2 year accelerated program for the MS in RE and MBA? It sounds like a nice option for those with a clearly defined RE goal.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe you are talking about the Dual Degree. I need to apply for both schools and need to be admitted by both schools to get in.

Anyway I am more of a research type rather than business type, by nature. So I tend to lean toward the PRE... Plus, acceptance rate for PRE is 45%, while that of the MBA is 15%! I am risk-adversed.

:D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
solidcolor wrote:

I think I read somewhere that they accpet 10-12 PHD students out of 500 applicants.

Well he's not applying for MBA. (PhD battlefield is enough.) :)

Then will this fact has any effect on my application anyway?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
solidcolor wrote:
I believe you are talking about the Dual Degree. I need to apply for both schools and need to be admitted by both schools to get in.

Anyway I am more of a research type rather than business type, by nature. So I tend to lean toward the PRE... Plus, acceptance rate for PRE is 45%, while that of the MBA is 15%! I am risk-adversed.

:D

Where'd you get 15%?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe the 15% is if you use enrolling / applications. If you look at acceptance %, it's more like 30%
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
The 15% figure, I found here:

https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/academic ... q.html#a15

However the USNews gives another statistics:

https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... _brief.php

How would you guys explain this discrepancy?

To jjanders: A lot of admitted students didn't actually make their way to Johnson?

Then shouldn't the school raise its acceptance rate?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmmm.

The quoted number by Cornell seems wrong.

https://www.johnson.cornell.edu/prospect ... facts.html

If you look here the enrolled number/applicants is ~15%, meaning the actual admit rate is much higher than 15%.

Could they have fudged the number in order to market themselves and appear selective?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
solidcolor wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
solidcolor wrote:

Well he's not applying for MBA. (PhD battlefield is enough.) :)

Then will this fact has any effect on my application anyway?

Just so I'm clear... your spouse is a PHD student in Computer Science at Cornell and you're the only one that will be applying to the MBA program?

So do you also live in Ithaca? I think it helps your chances because the odds of you accepting an offer are really high. If you're on the fence, then the fact that you will accpet could push you over the edge.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
Hmmm.

If you look here the enrolled number/applicants is ~15%, meaning the actual admit rate is much higher than 15%.

Could they have fudged the number in order to market themselves and appear selective?

I'm pretty sure their acceptance rate is somewhere around 35-40% and their yield is around 50%
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
Hmmm.

I'm pretty sure their acceptance rate is somewhere around 35-40% and their yield is around 50%

I'm hoping their acceptance rate really is as high as 35-40%. (as I'm sure all of you are too)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  43