Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Concentration: General Management
WE:Other (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Prospective2016 wrote:
Can someone briefly touch on this program, vs the full time?

Is it 1 year? If so, how does job placement work? Do you basically step on campus, start taking some tech related classes, and then google hires you? I imagine Pre-MBA experience is extremely important, if that is the case.

And how does it compare to the cornell standard MBA? Which is 2 years, in ithaca, big network, etc

Based on my research, below are my findings. Also, keep in mind that I'm not a student but I did do a lottt of research.

Cornell Tech is a 1 year program
-There are only a handful of prestigious 1 year programs out there including Kellogg, Cornell, INSEAD and LBS (both international)

Cornell Tech vs Cornell 2 Year vs Cornell 1 Year
-Cornell actually offers 3 different type of MBAS
-There are 2, 1 Year programs, 1 based in Ithaca and 1 Based in NYC (Cornell Tech)

Cornell Tech Advantages:
-Personally, coming from the West Coast, it's been one of my dreams to live in the Big Apple
-Living in a big city such as NYC allows you to recruit easier especially since companies are close by
--You won't need to book a last minute flight to meet up with a hiring manager
--In fact, Cornell Tech is in the same building as Google and Accel Partner (VC firm), so it would be extremely easy to go upstairs for an intro
-If you're interested in tech for roles such as Product Manager, Marketing, Biz Ops, there should be a competitive edge since recruiters will naturally assume that you have strong quant skills given the brand of the program
-Recruiting for Venture Capital will be possible as well
--Most of the visiting professors are high ups in strong VCs (check the website)
-Social Life: there are much more to do in NYC than the surburbs
--Although I have heard that schools in the surburbs party the hardest
-Cornell Tech students spend 25% of their time in Ithaca
--This is a great opportunity to see what life is like in Ithaca without having to live there for 2 years
--You can still build strong relationships with the other 2 year students
--There is also a summer trip where all Cornell students (Tech, 2 Year, 1 Year) go together
--Lastly, Cornell has a "Big Red Family" saying, Cornell alums help each other out with any type of affiliation
-Entrepreneurship
--If your goal is to one day create a company, there are a lot of valuable resources
--The program has opportunities for "Demo Day", which is when teams present their ideas to VCs
--This would be a rare opportunity to network with potential VCs

Cornell Tech Disadvantages:
-Because the program is tech focused, if your goal is to get into management consulting (McKinsey, BCG, Boston Consulting, etc), I think you're better off in a traditional 2 year program
-For consulting, I know they usually hire full times from interns
-If your goal is to get into investment banking (Goldman, Morgan Stanley, Lazard, etc), I think you're better off in a traditional 2 year program as well (same reasons as above for consulting)
-Hedge Fund/PE/Investment Management - getting any jobs in this function will require a lot of previous work experience and connections. You will need to have a background in hedge fund or PE to get in regardless of school. I would still recommend HBS, Wharton, Columbia, or a more finance focused school
-Internship
--I think having an internship will not be a make or break for most jobs (excluding the above consulting or investment banking)
--Because the curriculum is "Immersive", which means you work with companies directly, there is a good chance you already meet the important people for large companies such as Google, Linkedin, eBay, etc
--If you network hard enough, the project can be an "unofficial job interview" since you are doing direct projects for these companies
--If you are using the internship as a job switching opportunity, I think you can use the company challenge projects to fulfill that hole
-Class Trips - this was one of my concerns about the program since I plan to travel to as many unique weird places as possible
--Talking to one of the alums, there are many opportunities such as Winter Break, Spring Break, random holidays for the class to go on trips
--People also take a large trip together when the program ends
--There is also that Israel Trek (Israel has some great beach parties)

Overall, those are all the factors that I took into consideration as Pro's and Con's. If other people have feedback please comment and add to the list. Also, if you have other questions, please respond or send me a direct message. Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.33 (UG), 3.61 (Grad)
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell NYC-Tech MBA Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
jmaul wrote:
To all you who got accepted, would you please share a brief description of what did you sent as "creativity essay". I am doing a mini-website showcasing my work and extracurriculars and personal characteristics, ... I don't even know if I'm in the ballpark with this.

i did a one-page click-to-scroll website photo list with captions, probably exactly what you're planning to do. they liked it.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
dLo wrote:
jmaul wrote:
To all you who got accepted, would you please share a brief description of what did you sent as "creativity essay". I am doing a mini-website showcasing my work and extracurriculars and personal characteristics, ... I don't even know if I'm in the ballpark with this.

i did a one-page click-to-scroll website photo list with captions, probably exactly what you're planning to do. they liked it.

Same here. Developed a smooth, clean and responsive static html5/js/css3 displaying my essay with related photos. For the 2nd interview I've prepared a cool presentation using https://www.slides.com. I got in :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
got my official letter and a good scholarship, now just to see what the rest of my apps turn out!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
dLo wrote:
got my official letter and a good scholarship, now just to see what the rest of my apps turn out!

For the scholarship, is it part of the official letter? I've received the official letter as well, but have not heard back about scholarships.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
drboom wrote:
dLo wrote:

For the scholarship, is it part of the official letter? I've received the official letter as well, but have not heard back about scholarships.

It would be in the official letter if anything. I think they're very limited according to the wording on the site, I have a pretty specific set of goals that meshes very well with the program so that may have contributed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dLo wrote:
drboom wrote:
dLo wrote:

It would be in the official letter if anything. I think they're very limited according to the wording on the site, I have a pretty specific set of goals that meshes very well with the program so that may have contributed.

Cool, thanks for the info.

dLo, out of curiosity, is your username related to Deangello Russell? I'm a lakers fan and that's the first thing I thought of lol
Manager
Manager
Send PM
drboom wrote:

Cool, thanks for the info.

dLo, out of curiosity, is your username related to Deangello Russell? I'm a lakers fan and that's the first thing I thought of lol

haha no it's just a shortening of my last name that I made up in middle school, and it's just stuck since :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
I see there are 5 people on the forum now admitted. I also got accepted and created a simple static website for my creativity portion. Would be good to connect with all of you off gmatclub, to get your thoughts on joining.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nikhilsw wrote:
I see there are 5 people on the forum now admitted. I also got accepted and created a simple static website for my creativity portion. Would be good to connect with all of you off gmatclub, to get your thoughts on joining.

Congrats nikhilsw! Looking forward to meeting you
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
So I created a Facebook group which has been given the greenlight by Cornell Tech. If you have gotten admission, please request to join https://www.facebook.com/groups/cornelltech.mba.2017
Manager
Manager
Send PM
i'm still deciding between this and anderson, so we'll see how things go. did anyone make it out to the studio event last friday?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dLo wrote:
i'm still deciding between this and anderson, so we'll see how things go. did anyone make it out to the studio event last friday?

I was out of town that weekend and didn't make it to the studio event. I'll attend the one in April.

DLo, I hope you join our Cornell Tech upcoming class! I'm a LA native, I'll setup a Trek for everyone to experience socal.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Has anyone from Round 2 received calls yet ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I've applied in Round 2, have not received a call yet - anyone else applied in R2? grandmaster, did you apply in R2?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nope, still waiting. yes, i applied in R2 as well, submitted on 15th
Manager
Manager
Send PM
it looks like R2 decision date is Feb 29th. if they're doing it like R1, you will hear on that day, no earlier.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts