Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS - Class of 2013
 Q49  V42
WE 1: Healthcare Strategy
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Schools:Darden 2013
 Q49  V38 GMAT 2: 750  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Darden (R1), Duke (R1), Kellogg 1Y (R1), Berkeley MBA/MPH (R2), Wharton (R2)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
Count me in for R1. I went to an admissions event in my local area and was really impressed. Chatting with a friend who is currently attending also pushed me in this direction.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I am also in for R1. The essays are killing me!! The first one I cant even make a basic outline!! I know what to write..I have spoken to tons of alumni and current students..But all my drafts come off as amateur..Is it necessary to jazz it up? Will essay consultants help?

For the second essay..I have written abt the recession(so original!) but have given a rather insiders view of the banking industry and the essay is full of big economic terms..will that be pushing my luck or should I go ahead with the assumption that the adcoms are aware of keynesian economics ? :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
Kudos
nikhilfotedar wrote:
I am also in for R1. The essays are killing me!! The first one I cant even make a basic outline!! I know what to write..I have spoken to tons of alumni and current students..But all my drafts come off as amateur..Is it necessary to jazz it up? Will essay consultants help?

For the second essay..I have written abt the recession(so original!) but have given a rather insiders view of the banking industry and the essay is full of big economic terms..will that be pushing my luck or should I go ahead with the assumption that the adcoms are aware of keynesian economics ? :D

essay consultants will probably help you but they can't write it for you.

My worry on your second essay is not that they aren't aware of economics, but that it will read like a page full of jargon. Jargon isn't good. I haven't seen your essay, but I'd also be concerned that an essay full of "big economic terms" would miss the "what do you think about leadership personally" in the two part prompt.

Just remember that jargon doesn't make you sound smarter, it makes you sound like you can't relate to other people.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Send PM
nikhilfotedar wrote:

I know what you mean! The essay 1 is tough.
My biggest problem is how to put all that I want to say in 500 words!!

I also updated the list!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
essay consultants will probably help you but they can't write it for you.

My worry on your second essay is not that they aren't aware of economics, but that it will read like a page full of jargon. Jargon isn't good. I haven't seen your essay, but I'd also be concerned that an essay full of "big economic terms" would miss the "what do you think about leadership personally" in the two part prompt.

Just remember that jargon doesn't make you sound smarter, it makes you sound like you can't relate to other people.

Makes sense! am toning down the second essay and putting more emphasis on my future goals more rather than showcasing my banking knowledge. Repped you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Count me in for Rd1. I had a question about the essays -since neither of the 2 essays asks for long/short-term goals specifically, are you guys alluding to them in essay 1 or 2?
The questions are undoubtedly tough...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
badgerboy wrote:
Count me in for Rd1. I had a question about the essays -since neither of the 2 essays asks for long/short-term goals specifically, are you guys alluding to them in essay 1 or 2?

I think you can slip in your career progression part in the first essay and somehow show how that along with your EC make u an ideal fit for Darden

For the second essay..its all abt Post MBA plans. The world economy is in the dumps, there is more oil than water in the atlantic..These things have affected you..how have they changed you? BUt most importantly you need to mention what impact these events had on your post MBA career goals!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Hey guys-

I am attending a darden reception and was wondering if I should bring anything besides my resume?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
nikhilfotedar wrote:
badgerboy wrote:

I think you can slip in your career progression part in the first essay and somehow show how that along with your EC make u an ideal fit for Darden

For the second essay..its all abt Post MBA plans. The world economy is in the dumps, there is more oil than water in the atlantic..These things have affected you..how have they changed you? BUt most importantly you need to mention what impact these events had on your post MBA career goals!

For the second essay..its all abt Post MBA plans. The world economy is in the dumps, there is more oil than water in the atlantic..These things have affected you..how have they changed you? BUt most importantly you need to mention what impact these events had on your post MBA career goals![/quote]

Just to share, I attended the Open House on 13 September. There was a session with Sara Neher, director of admissions at Darden, and she addressed this slightly. She advised that they are looking for our career goals in the elevator pitch (you willl find that somewhere in the personal details section of the application), while they are looking more for our thinking process and personality (basically who we are) from the 2 essays. Though most of us at the Open House found the space give for elevator pitch (150 words) too little to describe our career goals, Sara believed it should be sufficient.

Nonetheless, I guess it should be alright/good if you can squeeze your goals into the essays, if you can fit all that within the 500 word limit for each essay.

Hope this helps :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
kevintay wrote:
nikhilfotedar wrote:
badgerboy wrote:

Just to share, I attended the Open House on 13 September. There was a session with Sara Neher, director of admissions at Darden, and she addressed this slightly. She advised that they are looking for our career goals in the elevator pitch (you willl find that somewhere in the personal details section of the application), while they are looking more for our thinking process and personality (basically who we are) from the 2 essays. Though most of us at the Open House found the space give for elevator pitch (150 words) too little to describe our career goals, Sara believed it should be sufficient.

Nonetheless, I guess it should be alright/good if you can squeeze your goals into the essays, if you can fit all that within the 500 word limit for each essay.

Hope this helps :)[/quote]
great!
thank you for sharing it!
Roll call updated!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys I am facing a problem: On the application portal, when I input the test scores the checklist reflects it by showing a tick mark against test scores and its font color changes from red to green. However, when I have input the personal information and return to checklist, the cross does not convert to a tick mark and its color stays red. I have checked whether I have filled in all mandatory inputs multiple times. Is anyone else facing a similar problem? Did someone get a solution to this? I have already written to the admissions guys but they have not responded to my e-mail for 3 days now!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
ds7 wrote:
Guys I am facing a problem: On the application portal, when I input the test scores the checklist reflects it by showing a tick mark against test scores and its font color changes from red to green. However, when I have input the personal information and return to checklist, the cross does not convert to a tick mark and its color stays red. I have checked whether I have filled in all mandatory inputs multiple times. Is anyone else facing a similar problem? Did someone get a solution to this? I have already written to the admissions guys but they have not responded to my e-mail for 3 days now!

I know exactly what you're talking about; I finally got it to "green" after I clicked both Permanent Address and Preferred Mailing Address. I believe it needs both of these to make it a green. Double check yours and you should get it to change color.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Please also check this post:
A second year student @ Darden answer questions
ask-a-darden-second-year-101909.html

I am also including the link in the first post.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
im in r1 guys, Good luck all!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
ds7 wrote:

I know exactly what you're talking about; I finally got it to "green" after I clicked both Permanent Address and Preferred Mailing Address. I believe it needs both of these to make it a green. Double check yours and you should get it to change color.

That works, thanks a lot bakfed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Darden 2013
 Q49  V38 GMAT 2: 750  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
How are you all addressing the "Hours per month" field in the Employment section?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
some jobs, though "full-time", may require more than 40 hours per week (i.e. IB/MC). Simply put down what your job entails and the hour it requires of you per week, per month.

My job is a standard 40-hour-week job. Therefore, it would be 160 hours/month no matter how I spin it.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  86   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts