Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entertainment & Media
Schools:USC (in!!!), NYU (Waitlist)
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2011 USC Marshall Applicants! [#permalink]
javatheboxer wrote:
If you are going to succeed in life it doesn't make a difference where you go to school. If you have the passion and the drive to do well then you will do well. Vision and passion is more important than a school name. It is because you have the drive to succeed that brought you to b-school and that same drive will make you successful in life. Yes connections help and school name helps but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a big difference. Read the book Outliers, people succeed because they want to.

aelsc wrote:
pkaran wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I applied to USC in Round 3 and interviewed a few weeks back. I understand that decisions are released on May 15th but I also have a full GRA from Georgia Tech. I went to GT for my undergraduate and master programs but a full ride to GT for MBA is kind of difficult to turn down. My deadline to accept at GT is May 15th and I dont know what to do. After the 15th they will not be able to hold my funding for me. Can anyone share light on how they decided between GT and USC. I plan on going into entertainment so USC seems better but financially GT makes more sense.

Thanks!

I don't know anything about Georgia Tech's MBA program but if you want to work in entertainment, especially in Southern California, USC is the way to go. In terms of holding onto your spot at GT - I wouldn't hesitate to either try and negotiate a few extra days or go ahead and put down the $$$. In the grand scheme of things, it isn't that much. Respectfully disagree with another poster that where you go to business school doesn't matter. Obviously recruiting is a key element of why people choose the school that they do. After your first job out of b-school, then yes, i agree it's less important, but this isn't an academic profession where all you need is a degree, it's about your connections.

I agree with Java although I do recongnize some valid points about the "it's who you know" concept. I do think the bottom line is- USC's MBA program is probably not worth 100K more than GT. Because that is essentially what you are looking at in loans for tuition and cost of living expenses. Avg. starting salary post grad is 85K for GT and 93K for USC...so although you will earn approx. 10K more per year starting out from USC, you will also be 100K in debt, so that is a huge consideration too. I think you should just focus on getting an entertainment industry internship in LA over the summer between your first and second year. Then you can make good business contacts and still get a free MBA. Plus most job opportunies separate qualifications between undergrad and graduate degrees. I have seen plenty of postings that specify MBA degree preferred. I have seen none that say MBA degree from top 25 school preferred. I would go to GT on a free ride if I were the one choosing, but that's me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've just been accepted to Marshall's PM program and UCI FEMBA. I've loved my experience at UCI so far but am conflicted now that I've gotten into Marshall which I wasn't expecting. Any suggestions/advice about making a decision?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You just got the call today? Congrats. I would go with your heart. If you like UCI then go to UCI. Just because marshall is a better name doesn't mean you should go. UCI is a smaller program and you can probably get closer with fellow students.

undecidedoc wrote:
I've just been accepted to Marshall's PM program and UCI FEMBA. I've loved my experience at UCI so far but am conflicted now that I've gotten into Marshall which I wasn't expecting. Any suggestions/advice about making a decision?
Intern
Intern
Schools:UCLA, USC, Haas, NYU
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 2 years M&A
WE 2: 5 years Equity Research
Send PM
undecidedoc wrote:

Congrats. No matter how difficult the decision its nice to have the options.

If you don't mind me asking when did you get your application in?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! Got my application in for R3 (think I submitted on March 30). Submitted the video on May 6th and got the phone call today. It's a great problem to have but it's such a tough choice for me!
Intern
Intern
Schools:UCLA, USC, Haas, NYU
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 2 years M&A
WE 2: 5 years Equity Research
Send PM
undecidedoc wrote:
Thanks! Got my application in for R3 (think I submitted on March 30). Submitted the video on May 6th and got the phone call today. It's a great problem to have but it's such a tough choice for me!

Cool thanks. And congrats again
Intern
Intern
Send PM
silverdana wrote:
javatheboxer wrote:
If you are going to succeed in life it doesn't make a difference where you go to school. If you have the passion and the drive to do well then you will do well. Vision and passion is more important than a school name. It is because you have the drive to succeed that brought you to b-school and that same drive will make you successful in life. Yes connections help and school name helps but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't make a big difference. Read the book Outliers, people succeed because they want to.
pkaran wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I applied to USC in Round 3 and interviewed a few weeks back. I understand that decisions are released on May 15th but I also have a full GRA from Georgia Tech. I went to GT for my undergraduate and master programs but a full ride to GT for MBA is kind of difficult to turn down. My deadline to accept at GT is May 15th and I dont know what to do. After the 15th they will not be able to hold my funding for me. Can anyone share light on how they decided between GT and USC. I plan on going into entertainment so USC seems better but financially GT makes more sense.

Thanks!

Quote:
I agree with Java although I do recongnize some valid points about the "it's who you know" concept. I do think the bottom line is- USC's MBA program is probably not worth 100K more than GT. Because that is essentially what you are looking at in loans for tuition and cost of living expenses. Avg. starting salary post grad is 85K for GT and 93K for USC...so although you will earn approx. 10K more per year starting out from USC, you will also be 100K in debt, so that is a huge consideration too. I think you should just focus on getting an entertainment industry internship in LA over the summer between your first and second year. Then you can make good business contacts and still get a free MBA. Plus most job opportunies separate qualifications between undergrad and graduate degrees. I have seen plenty of postings that specify MBA degree preferred. I have seen none that say MBA degree from top 25 school preferred. I would go to GT on a free ride if I were the one choosing, but that's me.

We are talking about Georgia Tech and not Georgetown, right? I just think that if you're looking to get into an industry that is so concentrated in one city, going to school across the country, without specific ties to that industry, puts you at such a disadvantage. Also, entertainment in particular is an industry where who you know and connections matter much more than others (consulting and banking being ones where school name is huge). I went to USC for undergrad and I have former classmates who've told me that a lot of jobs in entertainment are never posted online and are instead filled through a network of contacts. I'm obviously not saying school name is everything, clearly an individual's personal traits and drive will play a huge role throughout your career, but the drawbacks are enough to make you really think carefully. And, I have seen job postings that specify top MBA programs - besides, even if they don't specify, what makes you think people don't take that into consideration?
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Thank you everyone for replying. I just got a call from USC yesterday letting me know about my acceptance. I called the office to find out funding but it looks like most of that is taken up so late in the process. So now my dilemma is if USC is worth the $160K debt that I will incur in the course of 2 years vs a close to nothing since I do have a full tuition scholarship. I feel lucky that I have options but its a really tough decisions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats undecidedoc! I am still waiting for a decision, applied round 3 MBA.PM.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got the phone call, accepted for MBA.PM, R3! I applied in March.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.0
WE 1: 2 yrs of accountant at ad agency
Send PM
i guess they're now calling the admitted students... knowing that makes me check my phone every second. Just one question, USC vs. Pepperdine with full scholoarship, what would you do?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got the call an hour ago...admitted to the full time program!!

This has been a roller coaster of a day - first dinged by McCombs then an hour later USC saves the day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
WE 1: 5 years consulting
Send PM
Yayyy, congrats fellow MBA 2013 Trojan!

BMR21 wrote:

This has been a roller coaster of a day - first dinged by McCombs then an hour later USC saves the day.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.0
WE 1: 2 yrs of accountant at ad agency
Send PM
BMR21 wrote:

Hello BMR21, Do you mind sharing your profile, please?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jiyo7 wrote:
BMR21 wrote:

Hello BMR21, Do you mind sharing your profile, please?

US/29/Male, GMAT: 670, GPA: 3.6 from highly ranked liberal arts school. 5 years big 4 audit, 1 year financial reporting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got the call yesterday morning that I was accepted into the PM program!

I also got into Pepperdine and got a partial scholarship, but I'm leaning heavily towards USC.

Good luck to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)