GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 13:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Hitotsubashi ICS 2015 Applicants

new topic post reply Update application status  
Hitotsubashi ICS Thread Master
Calling all Hitotsubashi ICS 2015 Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2014, 21:14

Based in Japan, Hitotsubashi is along side all the other Schools in Japan, like Waseda or Tokyo University are very self contained in terms of ranking and have a very unique perspective to Management Education and MBA. They generally refrain from rankings, is what I understand. For example, Hitotsubashi University has only a class of 50 students max. The students can choose between a 1 year program or a 2 year program. The class has more than 30 nationalities, in fact Japanese form only 10 students. The course curriculum is a unique blend Western Management Philosophies like Marketing and Finance and Eastern Management Philosophies like Operations Excellence and Quality and Innovation. The median salaries are also equivalent to Chicago Booth and LBS. The fees is very affordable and the class has admits through the Japan Government Scholarship. I would like to take your help in starting a discussion on this.

Links and Resources about the Program:

http://www.touchmba.com/category/asian- ... mba-japan/
http://www.hit-u.ac.jp/eng/

Program Brochure

Attachment:
ICSMBABrochure_view.pdf [3.32 MiB]
Downloaded 40 times
To download please login or register as a user

Contact

Attachment:
School_Address.png
School_Address.png [ 29.64 KiB | Viewed 5110 times ]

Video

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Oct 2015, 19:26
RameshKrishnan1 wrote:

Based in Japan, Hitotsubashi is along side all the other Schools in Japan, like Waseda or Tokyo University are very self contained in terms of ranking and have a very unique perspective to Management Education and MBA. They generally refrain from rankings, is what I understand. For example, Hitotsubashi University has only a class of 50 students max. The students can choose between a 1 year program or a 2 year program. The class has more than 30 nationalities, in fact Japanese form only 10 students. The course curriculum is a unique blend Western Management Philosophies like Marketing and Finance and Eastern Management Philosophies like Operations Excellence and Quality and Innovation. The median salaries are also equivalent to Chicago Booth and LBS. The fees is very affordable and the class has admits through the Japan Government Scholarship. I would like to take your help in starting a discussion on this.

Links and Resources about the Program:
http://www.touchmba.com/category/asian- ... mba-japan/
http://www.hit-u.ac.jp/eng/

Photos

I am interested in Hitotsubashi ICS MBA.
10 yrs of experience in IT,. Recently appeared in GMAT, but not able to score well. My GMAT score is 630.
I am still thinking of appearing for GMAT one more time to improve my chances.

Originally posted by jrymbei on 20 Dec 2014, 03:22.
Last edited by jrymbei on 08 Oct 2015, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Hitotsubashi ICS 2015 Applicants  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2014, 07:02
Thank You Ramesh Krishnan for starting this thread. Should we create a separate sub-forum for Japanese MBA Programs?

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 09:40
Narenn wrote:
Thank You Ramesh Krishnan for starting this thread. Should we create a separate sub-forum for Japanese MBA Programs?

Thanks Narenn,

I think Japanese B Schools deserve their own section. The list is endless:

* Hitotsubashi
* Waseda
* Tokyo University
* Keio University
* Temple University
* International University of Japan
* Meiji University
* Nagoya University
etc etc

The best perks of doing MBA in Japan are:

1) Secure business environment- good mix of indigenous Japanese companies and MNCs in Japan
2) Costs of living are subsidized to a good extent by universities
3) Tuition fees affordable ~ 6000 $ to 10000 $
4) GMAT scores are more on the affordable side 620+
5) Good exposure to technology, sustainability, banking, environment, production, manufacturing, steel and metals, trade etc.

I think overall, it is a good option. And best, same ROI or even better ROI than schools which are popular.
So case for separate section on Japanese Schools definitely exists.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Oct 2015, 19:24
RameshKrishnan1 wrote:
Narenn wrote:

Thanks Narenn,

* Hitotsubashi
* Waseda
* Tokyo University
* Keio University
* Temple University
* Meiji University
* Nagoya University
etc etc

1) Secure business environment- good mix of indigenous Japanese companies and MNCs in Japan
5) Good exposure to technology, sustainability, banking, environment, production, manufacturing, steel and metals, trade etc.

I think overall, it is a good option. And best, same ROI or even better ROI than schools which are popular.

My GMAT score is 630, TOEFL score is yet to receive. What are my chances in Hitotsubashi? Shall I retake GMAT? I am specifically interested in doing MBA from Japan as I had brief experience of working at Japan and looking for a long term career in ASIA Pacific or in Japan itself.
Exp - 10 yrs in IT services and currently working as a Project Lead.
Academics - Average.
Age - 34

Originally posted by jrymbei on 04 Jan 2015, 23:32.
Last edited by jrymbei on 08 Oct 2015, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2015, 06:59
jrymbei wrote:
RameshKrishnan1 wrote:
Narenn wrote:

Thanks Narenn,

* Hitotsubashi
* Waseda
* Tokyo University
* Keio University
* Temple University
* Meiji University
* Nagoya University
etc etc

My GMAT score is 530, TOEFL score is yet to receive. What are my chances in Hitotsubashi? Shall I retake GMAT? I am specifically interested in doing MBA from Japan as I had brief experience of working at Japan and looking for a long term career in ASIA Pacific or in Japan itself.
Academics - Average.
Age - 34

jrymbei,

I think with your score you could look at some of the other universities in the list mentioned above. I think they would balance a good work ex with the score and acads.

Hitotsubashi ICS is majorly a small classroom. So I guess applying to other universities automatically increases your chances (probability) eg: Kieo, Tsukuba etc.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Oct 2015, 19:27
RameshKrishnan1 wrote:
jrymbei wrote:
My GMAT score is 630, TOEFL score is yet to receive. What are my chances in Hitotsubashi? Shall I retake GMAT? I am specifically interested in doing MBA from Japan as I had brief experience of working at Japan and looking for a long term career in ASIA Pacific or in Japan itself.
Academics - Average.
Age - 34

jrymbei,

I think with your score you could look at some of the other universities in the list mentioned above. I think they would balance a good work ex with the score and acads.

Hitotsubashi ICS is majorly a small classroom. So I guess applying to other universities automatically increases your chances (probability) eg: Kieo, Tsukuba etc.

I am also considering IUJ as I want to apply for English MBAs. What do you suggest about IUJ or can you suggest some other courses (english MBAs)?
I am very much interested to work in Japan after MBA, I don't know Japanese much but will start learning it (very much focused about about it) as soon as I am done with GMAT.

I am preparing again to retake the GMAT in Feb, if I can score high probably will apply in Hitotsubashi ICS. Besides, do you have any idea what would be a competitive score for ICS?

Originally posted by jrymbei on 09 Jan 2015, 04:39.
Last edited by jrymbei on 08 Oct 2015, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2015, 00:46
jrymbei,

IUJ has an interesting course "Leveraging on Emerging Asia" as their focal point. I wouldn't be able to comment how the integrate this aspect with that of regular MBA Coursework to make it so specific. The fee and other details are definitely comparable to other universities (some universities like Nagoya etc. would have cost advantages as they are removed from Tokyo). Keio also has a good program.

The Hitotsubashi score cut-off generally tends to be around 620+ as we understand from last years'.

There are very high score getters also in the class as would be the case with any good B School program.

The type of B School would depend on what you are interested in and are looking for.

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2015, 08:57
Anybody applied to Hitotsubashi ICS and heard from them in R1? Please reply.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 21:17
RameshKrishnan1 wrote:
jrymbei,

IUJ has an interesting course "Leveraging on Emerging Asia" as their focal point. I wouldn't be able to comment how the integrate this aspect with that of regular MBA Coursework to make it so specific. The fee and other details are definitely comparable to other universities (some universities like Nagoya etc. would have cost advantages as they are removed from Tokyo). Keio also has a good program.

The Hitotsubashi score cut-off generally tends to be around 620+ as we understand from last years'.

There are very high score getters also in the class as would be the case with any good B School program.

The type of B School would depend on what you are interested in and are looking for.

I am planning to apply for Japanese programs, particularly in English. So can you describe more about the program of Hitotsubashi? The academic courses? The student life? the teaching method?
Thank you very much
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 08:15
Hi,
I'm not sure if you ended up applying to any schools in Japan. As for working opportunity after MBA, while its getting far easier than before for foreigners to knock on the doors of companies in Japan, it is still extremely challenging for anybody to actually advance their career and treated like a normal person. Not to discourage you, but Japanese proficiency test level 1 is just a start and that by itself can't do anything. I got mine 15 years ago and I always hear like I'm almost not distinguishable to native person, but unfortunately it is very rare for somebody like me to do an improtant projects facing important clients, because I "might" make mistakes and I'm a foreigner. Foreign entities are the best chance for you if you want to work in Japan, with a great track record and high proficiency of Japanese, you could have a chance. One point that works for foreigners is that Japan is lacking young talents who can speak good English with sufficient knowledge in their own industry.

As for schools, try to go to Hitotsubashi, Keio and Waseda for your Japanese business network. But remember those who are exceptionally good go to the MBAs in the US. There are foriegn schools like Temple University and McGill who are running MBA programs in Japan as well, and they may have more recognition if you want to work in other countries later.
Best of luck and let me know if there is any other questions. I've lived in Japan for a long time.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 08:20
Oh and regarding Hitotsubashi, they seem to have a small class and the students are likely to be higher level.
I only went to an open campus and a party but people attended there seem to be competitive. In terms of teachers, I don't know.
Keep in min that they have exchange programs to well known MBA programs which you can attend for 3 months and could help you build network in those schools as well.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2016, 22:06
Gerbilies wrote:
Oh and regarding Hitotsubashi, they seem to have a small class and the students are likely to be higher level.
I only went to an open campus and a party but people attended there seem to be competitive. In terms of teachers, I don't know.
Keep in min that they have exchange programs to well known MBA programs which you can attend for 3 months and could help you build network in those schools as well.

I have joined IUJ 2 year MBA program. So far I am okay with the program, besides there are lot of Japanese students and they are pretty good. Only concern is the job opportunity, however there are some companies visiting IUJ regularly for internships and job. Internship success rate is pretty good but not much job offers are rolled out. Can you PM me your email ID? I can get in touch with you offline.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Hitotsubashi ICS 2015 Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2016, 22:06

new topic post reply Update application status