It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 13:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Indian Applicants - 2017 Intake!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Indian Applicants - 2017 Intake!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 21:09
Dear sir,

Can you please evaluate my profile and suggest me whether i should target IIM-A for pgpx in 2018?

Indian female, age 31, work experience = 8 years

10th exam 86.4% (state board)
12th exam 77.8% (state board)
B.Tech in computer science & engineering 8.86 GPA (state university)
expected GMAT score: 680-720 (not taken yet)

work experience details:
administrative officer (IT) in a government owned insurance organization for 5 years, then promoted to assistant manager (IT) in the same organization after that (continuing to the same cadre till date). Work experience in reinsurance and allied actuarial field.

professional qualifications:
- fellow of general insurance from Insurance Institute of India
- student member of Faculty of Actuaries, UK [cleared CT1 (financial mathematics), CT3 (mathematical statistics), CT5 (contingencies) each one at first attempt]

achievements:
- qualified GATE exam with 94.62 percentile, all India rank 2251 (category - general)
- received certificates of merit from Indian Insurance Society for scoring distinction marks in 6 papers of fellowship exam
- nominated delegate to attend Global Insurance Rendezvous 2015 on SAARC perspective
- secured 5th rank in all India essay competition organized by Asia Insurance Review and GIC Re, essay got published in their book

publications:
wrote essays, articles in various blogs and journals (one in an international journal)

certifications:
undergone several certifications on R and Python to do data cleaning, student's t-test, ANOVA

volunteering:
helped an entrepreneural venture named 'Klathrate' on developing reinsurance portal through Micromentor

Posted from my mobile device

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 0

Calling all Indian Applicants - 2017 Intake!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 01:08
This post received
KUDOS
chandu31 wrote:
Dear sir,

Can you please evaluate my profile and suggest me whether i should target IIM-A for pgpx in 2018?

Indian female, age 31, work experience = 8 years

10th exam 86.4% (state board)
12th exam 77.8% (state board)
<<snip>>

volunteering:
helped an entrepreneural venture named 'Klathrate' on developing reinsurance portal through Micromentor

Consider the following points chandu31:
  1. The exact nature of your work is not clear. It is purely IT or you also work very closely with business (read insurance) side? Your certifications shows that you have the theoretical knowledge but it will be important to evaluate if you can showcase practical skills. That can make your profile stand out well.
  2. On the GMAT, aim for the higher end (of even beyond) the range you have mentioned. There's a lot of time and you should try your best to make that happen - it will help the overall chances.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. That said, if you are looking at GMAT based programs, why not ISB as well as IIMC and IIMB 1 year programs. Targeting only one program is not a great idea in general.
  4. The other thing to understand would be your post-MBA plans. That, together with the past experience will dictate the overall attractiveness of your profile.

Hope this help some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 02:14
Dear sir, thank you for your reply. My working nature is functional and not actually technical. I worked on core insurance project for 4-5 years where I had to do requirement specification, SRS preparation, testing and roll out activities. I worked as SPOC for reinsurance module. HCL and TCS used to co-ordinate with me for all the matters related to core insurance project. (My insurance related certifications were almost compulsory for quick/fastrack promotional purpose. My actuarial certifications were just a reflection od my interest since I wanted to go deep how the pricing is done for insurance products, how reinsurance layers are actually priced). My post MBA plan is to remain in insurance sector only, but to rise at the top management cadre where I can justify my qualification to align with my working profile.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2017, 23:54
chandu31 wrote:
Dear sir, thank you for your reply. My working nature is functional and not actually technical. I worked on core insurance project for 4-5 years where I had to do requirement specification, SRS preparation, testing and roll out activities. I worked as SPOC for reinsurance module. HCL and TCS used to co-ordinate with me for all the matters related to core insurance project. (My insurance related certifications were almost compulsory for quick/fastrack promotional purpose. My actuarial certifications were just a reflection od my interest since I wanted to go deep how the pricing is done for insurance products, how reinsurance layers are actually priced). My post MBA plan is to remain in insurance sector only, but to rise at the top management cadre where I can justify my qualification to align with my working profile.

It's good that you are more on the functional side. Do some more research though. Insurance sector in general is not a big recruiter of Tier 1 MBA grads. Specialized courses in insurance might be better from a career advancement perspective. Make sure you know what you are getting into with the MBA investment.

Cheers,

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 00:36
Dear sir, thank you for your reply. In fact, I have not seen any insurance company in the list of recruiers in PGPX/EPGP webpages of IIMs and ISB. Can I look forward to join any consultancy or IT organisation in some leadership role that requires looking after insurance vertical? If I consider pursuing domain specific higher studies, then only good option is completing actuarial science which has enormous value, but I do not think I have that much patience or tenacity to complete it fully. This apart, I wanted a management degree that would help me commensurating with a higher designation fast. Honestly, I'm bored working with static government sector and if I want to jump to private sector in a higher designation, a management degree from a reputed institute will be desirable. Do the institutes consider the students' background before calling the recruiters?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 03:38
This post received
KUDOS
chandu31 wrote:
Dear sir, thank you for your reply. In fact, I have not seen any insurance company in the list of recruiers in PGPX/EPGP webpages of IIMs and ISB. Can I look forward to join any consultancy or IT organisation in some leadership role that requires looking after insurance vertical? If I consider pursuing domain specific higher studies, then only good option is completing actuarial science which has enormous value, but I do not think I have that much patience or tenacity to complete it fully. This apart, I wanted a management degree that would help me commensurating with a higher designation fast. Honestly, I'm bored working with static government sector and if I want to jump to private sector in a higher designation, a management degree from a reputed institute will be desirable. Do the institutes consider the students' background before calling the recruiters?

The ITES related role might be a possibility but you shouldn't restrict yourself to the insurance sector focus necessarily. The article here may help.

Cheers,

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 04:09
Hello,

Indian/ Male/30 years

B.Tech - Mechanical Engineering - SRM University - 8.857/10
PGPHRM -MDI Gurgaon - 6.45/10

Work Ex
6+ years in EY in People Advisory Services as a Consultant and Asian Paints as Factory HR

Pros
Good international exposure due to office visits and clients
2. Good communication and people skills
3. Will be able to get good recommendations
4. Good academic record
5. Pre MBA Start up experience in BYJU's- Bangalore

International Experience - UAE, UK

Received various awards at work place and now a senior consultant with EY.

GMAT- 720

ECR
Active Volunteer with Make a Difference
Vice President ToastMasters
DELF L1 (French)
During MBA active member of clubs and committees and event management activities

Target Schools
Kellogg
ISB
NUS
Cornell
INSEAD
Judge
Ross

Kindly Evaluate my chances and suggest few safe schools to apply in US and suggest if a one year or 2 year MBA would be a better fit.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2017, 08:33
prats92 wrote:
Hello,

Indian/ Male/30 years

B.Tech - Mechanical Engineering - SRM University - 8.857/10
PGPHRM -MDI Gurgaon - 6.45/10

Work Ex
6+ years in EY in People Advisory Services as a Consultant and Asian Paints as Factory HR

<<snip>>

Judge
Ross

Kindly Evaluate my chances and suggest few safe schools to apply in US and suggest if a one year or 2 year MBA would be a better fit.

Consider the following points prats92:
  1. Your profile in the HR space will help you differentiate. But that is also going to be tricky as you will have to be clearer and firmer in articulating your post-MBA plans. That will also dictate your preference for the 1 vs 2 year program. In general, the latter will be better for a bigger career change.
  2. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. That said, the overall list seems a bit on the aggressive side.
  3. If you consider one year programs, the article here will be useful to read.
  4. Given your target list and the non-common nature of the profile, a GMAT bump would be pretty handy.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 00:30
Hi all!

I am a recent Wharton MBA graduate and available to help anyone considering GMAT and applying for top business schools (think H/S/W, Booth, Kellogg, ISB etc. ). I had acceptance offers from 4 top schools in the US (had applied to 5 only) and have helped many of my friends (and their friends) get into top schools in US.

My background has been very typical - Indian, IT, Male, engineering background (went to a non-IIT), and experience at an Software compay. So, totally understand what it takes to differentiate yourself from rest of the pool.

Please reach out to getivymba@gmail.com if you are looking to get into a top US school and looking for help on any aspect of the application.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3801 [0], given: 2448

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2017, 00:03
Just came to know that SBI has launched new education loan option for Indians studying abroad - SBI Global Ed-Vantage. Its interest rate is higher than that of leading international load providers such as ProdigyFinance and the loan requires collateral but can be a good option for those who can't qualify for international loans. http://www.indiainfoline.com/article/ne ... 394_1.html

• Eligible Courses: Full time graduate/post graduate/doctorate courses offered at top foreign colleges/ universities
  • Countries: USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Europe, Singapore, Japan and Hong Kong.
  • Loan amount: 20 Lakh - 1.5 Cr INR
  • Margin: Financing up to 80% of cost of course. Not sure whether course cost covers just tuition or other expenses.
  • Interest rate: Base Rate + 1.70% = 11% p.a. (0.5% concession for female students)
  • Repayment period: Upto 15 years post completion of the course.
  • Collateral: Fully collateralized loan; Security equivalent to the loan amount has to be pledged to the Bank.
  • Moratorium: Student will be provided upto 6 months post completion of the course to begin re-paying the loan via EMIs. Simple Interest will be charged during Course Period + Moratorium Period.

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3801 [0], given: 2448

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 21:58
Bumping this post for any new evaluations before R1 :)

Chat Moderator
G

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 09:02
Profile Evaluation Request from user: shruti Chhalani

Please evaluate my profile for ISB ,

X-91%.

XII-91%.

Bcom-77%,Scholarship from college.

CA (cleared in 3 attempts),

CS,

1.5 yrs worked in KPMG assurance,1 yr E&Y assurance.5 ms Hewlett PAckard Senior financial analyst.

Currently working in PWC SDC.

Dont have much extracurriclar activities.

Yet to sit for GMAT. 29 yr Female

1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [1], given: 140

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2017, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
Profile Evaluation Request from SMD

SUMMARY
A six sigma certified professional with domain knowledge of banking and financial services. During the 7+ years of my experience have developed experience in building
understanding of client and people management

WORK PROFILE - May 2008 till Sep 2014
Backend processing for secured home loans (From Document Preparation-Doc Verification-Funding) for an Australian Bank
Process strength: 224 FTE's

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Assistant Manager/Manager – National Australia Bank-(Mortgage) Genpact, Jaipur-India (May 2010 - September 2014)

Workflow management of the team on daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis to ensure no misses on turn around time as per the service level agreement.
Drive customer service-centric operational effectiveness through continuous process improvements, handling escalations to the bankers and the client and timely follow up on the concern areas through emails/calls.
Meeting targets (No misses on service level agreement) ensuring the promises made to the client in terms of productivity and quality (Accuracy, Throughput and TAT) are met.
Monitor performance of the staff ,refresher sessions for them,arrange for appropriate training and cross training of staff when needed.
Make regular business development calls related to Quality, Projections and Forecast, improve services to clients.
Assist in special projects as required.

Process Developer/Management Trainee – National Australia Bank-(Mortgage) Genpact, Jaipur-India (June 2008 - April 2010)

Work on urgent/escalated loans for the customers to ensure settlement goes through as per the scheduled date and time
Prepare urgent settlement work report for the team and take follow ups with onshore team to meet the requirements of the loans
Ensure no misses on settlement date by priortizing the work on daily basis
Maintain the updates tracker of the process
Take refresher session as and when needed
Quality checker for the team

Process Developer – USA-(Mortgage loan processor) Genpact, Jaipur-India (March 2007 – May 2008)
Assemble loan package and take each file from pre-approval to closing.
Input proper loan information into the system and obtain Property Appraisal, Flood Certificate, Title Commitment, and payoff information.
Perform a thorough analysis of loan documents and financial data, including income, bank statement, credit reports, verification of employment,verification of deposits and purchase agreement and review of the appraisal.
Obtain missing documents and verify document accuracy by communicating directly with the onshore counter parts and any 3rd parties involved in the transaction.
Work on conditions for loans that come out of underwriting.
Maintain an active pipeline of 45-50 loans and meet closing date.
Work within guidelines set forth by regulatory bodies of USA.

Process Associate – DELL -(Technical Support) Genpact, Jaipur-India (November 2006 – Feb 2007)
Interact with customers by telephone for assisting with problem determination and problem resolution
Use of electronic tools and communication to support customer.
Assist and educate customers on the availability of internal and external resources designed to help resolve support issues.
Ability to comprehend functions and features to effectively troubleshoot and resolve issues by providing continuous quality service to clients.

PROFESSIONAL Trainings & Achievements
Won Customer Award for Settlement Coordinator role.
Won Silver Award for managing work with no lending losses for the NAB process.
Won 3 annual Gold award for maintaining 0% attrition rate.
Six Sigma, Green Belt (Trained, Tested and certified(Certification#122001-402174-703017842))
People Management
Banking Domain(KESDEE)

PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Travelled Onshore (Melbourne - Australia) for knowledge transitioning of Document Verification work type which was transitioned smoothly and stabilized well as per the client agreement and requirements

EDUCATION
Master of International Business
University of Rajasthan, India, July '08

Bachelors of Arts (Psychology-HONORS)
University of Rajasthan, India, July '06

Kudos [?]: 92 [1], given: 140

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 192

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 00:48
Hi.

Indian Male
- GMAT 700
- total Work ex 8 yrs
- currently 1 yr international exp.
- working in Japan
- working for top automotive company
- operations expertise
- working on international projects

I was looking for 1yr MBA, applied to INSEAD, IMD and IE. Got an admit only to IE. Still interested in IMD and INSEAD . Now considering top US schools too.

What should be my approach ?
Retake GMAT?
Should I reapply to IMD?
Should I apply to top US b schools if I get 720-730?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 192

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Schools: HEC Montreal '20
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 01:02
What value do you think IT engineers can give to an MBA classroom? Are there any specific courses where a background in IT can help? Some area where we can help the other non tech students?

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Indian Applicants - 2017 Intake!!   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2017, 01:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Calling all Indian Applicants - 2017 Intake!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap