Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing/Brand Management
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2011
 Q47  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
rca215 wrote:
Question on the app (1 of many, I'm sure) - did you put down details of your English proficiency in the online app where they ask about languages or can I assume that they assume an American-born citizen is fluent in English?!?

Dont mention english! that would be silly!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
nadtrans wrote:
rca215 wrote:
Question on the app (1 of many, I'm sure) - did you put down details of your English proficiency in the online app where they ask about languages or can I assume that they assume an American-born citizen is fluent in English?!?

Dont mention english! that would be silly!

Me gud speke Americaish!

(I'm torn on whether considering my Spanish skills fair or good. Tough call :()
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Just got the rejection call! Too much emotional distress they put me through! You can't even imagine.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Mclaughlin wrote:
Just got the rejection call! Too much emotional distress they put me through! You can't even imagine.

Sorry to hear that...did you at least try to arrange feedback. I hear that some people are being very successful with that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Berkeley Haas
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Mclaughlin wrote:

Sorry to hear that...did you at least try to arrange feedback. I hear that some people are being very successful with that.

Yes river...thanks for the tip yest...they are willing to provide a feedback to me as well in a few weeks...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
suntaurian wrote:
riverripper wrote:
Mclaughlin wrote:

Yes river...thanks for the tip yest...they are willing to provide a feedback to me as well in a few weeks...

Yeah me too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Sorry to hear guys. That's just terrible.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
Wow, things travel fast these days! From Wikipedia:

The Kellogg School of Management (The Kellogg School or Kellogg) is the business school of Northwestern University located in Evanston, Illinois ,downtown Chicago, Illinois and Miami, Florida . Kellogg offers full-time, part-time, and executive programs, as well as partnering programs with schools in China, India, Hong Kong, Israel, Germany, Canada, and Thailand, granting the M.B.A and Ph.D.

Founded in 1908 in downtown Chicago as a part-time evening program, the school was chartered to educate business leaders with "good moral character."[3] Kellogg pioneered the use of group projects and evaluations and popularized the importance of "teamwork" and "team leadership" within the business world.[citation needed]

Kellogg has historically been ranked as one of the top business institutions in the world by BusinessWeek, U.S. News & World Report, The Economist Intelligence Unit, and other business news outlets. Alumni from the Kellogg school hold leadership positions in for-profit, nonprofit, governmental, and academic institutions around the world.

On December 15 2008, Kellogg's admissions office accidentally emailed hundreds of its Fall 2009 applicants with offer of admissions. However, minutes later, each applicant's online status page showed that he/she was rejected. On December 16 2008, it was reported that Beth Flye, Kellogg's Director of Admissions, made a phone call to each affected applicant with apology
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
zmfatla wrote:
Wow, things travel fast these days! From Wikipedia:

On December 15 2008, Kellogg's admissions office accidentally emailed hundreds of its Fall 2009 applicants with offer of admissions. However, minutes later, each applicant's online status page showed that he/she was rejected. On December 16 2008, it was reported that Beth Flye, Kellogg's Director of Admissions, made a phone call to each affected applicant with apology

I agree, how fast they spread. Note "hundreds". I don't think they were in 100's :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Wow. I think the only person who had a worse day than those guys who got those e-mails is Beth Flye herself. Can you imagine having to make so many horrible phone calls?

I really feel bad for her - she seems so nice.

Of course, this does not make what happened OK and I am truly sorry for those who got the conflicting messages.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
If Beth Flye is personally calling everyone to apologize (acc to the wikipedia post), does this mean no one's gonna be receiving any admit calls in the upcoming few days? :D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
mehreenz wrote:
If Beth Flye is personally calling everyone to apologize (acc to the wikipedia post), does this mean no one's gonna be receiving any admit calls in the upcoming few days? :D

Beth Flye usually doesnt make admit calls except for people getting fullrides and stuff like that. Usually its the assistant adcoms making the calls. So no worries.

I do believe she is making all the calls...however, wikipedia seems to be overstating the numbers by saying hundreds. Maybe a hundred or so but you arent talking about 500 calls being made. Plus they are probably 5 minutes or less each (though I am sure they feel like forever for both parties).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
mehreenz wrote:

Beth Flye usually doesnt make admit calls except for people getting fullrides and stuff like that. Usually its the assistant adcoms making the calls. So no worries.

I do believe she is making all the calls...however, wikipedia seems to be overstating the numbers by saying hundreds. Maybe a hundred or so but you arent talking about 500 calls being made. Plus they are probably 5 minutes or less each (though I am sure they feel like forever for both parties).

After this entire fiasco, are we back to the status change to 'unknown' meaning your just moments away from a ding and only a phone call means you're in? Are there people who have been admitted and did not receive phone calls? I think there were...on the BW forum at least! Sigh...so confused. and restless.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Internationals in timezones very different than central time will often get emails. Usually those emails specify they didnt call you because of the time change (I believe Gil got one of those). However, if you are in the US you will get calls. Unknown status 95% of the time means ding but occasionally someone does get in after that (no change in that).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
mehreenz wrote:
riverripper wrote:
mehreenz wrote:

After this entire fiasco, are we back to the status change to 'unknown' meaning your just moments away from a ding and only a phone call means you're in? Are there people who have been admitted and did not receive phone calls? I think there were...on the BW forum at least! Sigh...so confused. and restless.

I bet they get really careful now, start double checking everything.

I no longer think past behavior correlates with present behavior.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Man, I feel really bad for you all. I hope everything else works out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Sorry to hear the news guys. That must have been a horrible experience for you. Good luck with the rest of your apps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  61   62   63   64   65  ...  115   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts