Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Calling all McDonough Applicants:(2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: For three weeks at the beginning of August, our Full-time MBA...

For three weeks at the beginning of August, our Full-time MBA students kick things off with the Opening Term. These intense weeks set the stage for the entire MBA curriculum, introducing you to the issues and industries you will focus on during your core coursework and the Global Business Experience. You will learn what you want to know and what you’ll need to know. Lauren John, Full-time MBA student and Student Ambassador, shares her experience with the Opening Term.
Georgetown McDonough’s Opening Term was much talked about before I started the Full-time MBA Program, and it turned out to be a rewarding experience. Once my class was done with Orientation during the first week of August, we were off!  After being out of school for almost seven years, the thought of sitting in the classroom every day for three weeks seemed daunting.  However, the intense classes helped knock off the rust quickly.
The Opening Term curriculum consists of two courses: Financial Accounting, and The Structure of Global Industries (SGI). SGI is the first foray into the integrated global curriculum. Through case studies and the final group presentation, I began to think from a more global perspective, which is woven throughout future classes. The accounting course also helps build the foundation for the entire program. Even though I had some prior accounting exposure, I found my classmates to be very helpful for going through problem sets and impromptu review sessions.
The Program Office formed study groups within each cohort, and my group was comprised of five classmates from all over the world. I worked with them to complete most assignments and the final presentation for SGI. My study group from Opening Term has become some of my best friends from the program after spending many hours together studying and preparing our presentation.
Taking 4.5 credits in three weeks is a tall order, but it helped knowing my study group and other classmates were all in it together. The Opening Term is a unique way to get everyone on the same page and prepared me for the core curriculum that encompasses most of the first year. The capstone presentation enabled my study group to demonstrate what we learned over the three weeks. Although we didn’t win the competition for the best presentation chosen by the professors, we learned so much about the course content and each other in the process. The presentation day ended with a reception where we got to interact more with the professors and other classmates followed by an after party. After completing the term, I felt like I climbed a mountain and gained great friendships along the way!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: Meet Evening MBA student, Pia Trivedi. As an Evening Program...

Meet Evening MBA student, Pia Trivedi. As an Evening Program student, Pia takes the concepts she learns each day at Georgetown McDonough and applies them directly to her job as a Strategist at the International Finance Corporation - World Bank Group. Pia shares her defining moment - the moment when her team successfully pitched an idea to a real estate firm in Shanghai.

Hometown: Boston, MAInvolvement at McDonough: President, Evening Student Government Association
On the McDonough Experience
Georgetown McDonough provides a globally-focused MBA program. But to have a global program in a global city, like Washington, D.C. is unique. You’re at the heart of a melting pot of world leaders and policy makers where working at the intersection of business and policy is a way of life. You’re also in class with other students who work for some of the world’s largest organizations and contribute relevant and current information to class discussions. The richness of the discussion here is remarkable.
The community and network is also very strong. Many of my classmates have found job opportunities through other student colleagues. It’s this ethos of Hoyas Helping Hoyas throughout the world that I know will be a huge benefit for my career.
Defining Moment
One of my defining moments was the Global Business Experience, a required consulting experience of both Full-time and Evening students. We were consulting for an alumnus at a prominent global real estate firm in Shanghai to create a housing solution for the aging Chinese population. We’d been working for months. The defining and most rewarding moment came when we pitched our solution to the client and saw his eyes light up; he actually liked our idea. In a short amount of time, we were able to assess a problem and provide a solution that added value. It was at that moment that I knew that all this learning that had come from our classes over the last few years had paid off and that I could actually pitch a valuable solution in an industry in which I had no previous experience.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM McDonough Admissions Blog: Meet Full-time MBA graduate, Aditya Kapur. Aditya joined the...

Meet Full-time MBA graduate, Aditya Kapur. Aditya joined the Full-time MBA Program in 2014 after a career in marketing, and jumped into the student experience by joining: Graduate Student Consulting Group, Graduate Marketing Association, Out@MSB LGBT organization, Student Corps. Aditya shares his defining moment - the moment when he connected with cross-functional teams at his summer internship.
Hometown: New Delhi, IndiaCurrent Job: General Mills, Associate Marketing Manager
On the McDonough Experience
From the time we stepped foot on campus in August with Opening Term, our core courses were very rigorous. This academic rigor is challenging, but it gave us the ammo we needed, preparing us for the job market and making us more competitive. I feel lucky to have learned from professors like Associate Dean Prashant Malaviya (marketing), Sandeep Dahiya (finance), and Ken Homa (strategy). Not only did they and other Georgetown McDonough professors provide me technical and functional knowledge, but they also equipped me with the soft skills in leadership and teamwork that I needed to succeed in my new career.
Defining Moment
The culmination of all I learned during my first year really came to life and was put to the test during my summer internship at General Mills. I was expected to work in cross-functional and diverse teams. Coming from India, I started the program really wanting to gain global exposure. McDonough really exposed me to this diversity and I was able to bring this knowledge and perspectives to my internship and now my full-time job. The growing and influential diverse McDonough network is one that I’ll have forever access to and is an asset for life.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All McDonough Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All McDonough Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All McDonough Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated McDonough Forum to dive into all things related to McDonough's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts