GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Jan 2020, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!!

Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 20:29
Any other west coast people out there still waiting? Any take on whether the game is over or we should keep sitting by the phone?

Let's just say I just put my anxiety on the rocks....
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 21:50
AtypicalMBA wrote:
sfmba2011 wrote:
Just found out I got in!! In CA. My phone didn't ring so he went straight to voicemail. Strange... Anyway, got it around 7:45pm PST.

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! You were a re-applicant, right? I'm so happy for you.

Any advice for re-applicants? I might be in your shoes come next year, as it looks like my chances are going the way of the dinosaurs. (Still holding out hope for WL).

Thanks so much!! Yes, I was a re-applicant so that message from Derrick made my year!

I don't know if any of my humble advice will be helpful (or original) but I'm certainly happy to share:
1. Don't give up hope until the decisions are posted and final! =)
2. Assess your application (ask family, friends or colleagues to provide their opinions) and try to reinforce your weakest areas. (i.e. more ecs, more leadership/teamwork, refining career vision-this was one of my weaknesses, etc.)
3. Forget what you wrote in your last application and start all over again as if you've never applied. I found the process much easier once I stopped trying to massage my old essays. With a blank slate, I was much more introspective and discovered different aspects of myself that pulled my story together better. As a result, the "what" part of my "what matters most" essay ended up different from last year (although the "why" came from the same place).
4. Demonstrate how you've changed or grown over the past year. I repeated very few of my essay topics/anecdotes from last year.

Feel free to PM me if you end up re-applying and have specific questions. I can also share in more detail my approach the second time around.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford(R2), Haas(R2)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 22:00
lennman1 wrote:
Any other west coast people out there still waiting? Any take on whether the game is over or we should keep sitting by the phone?
I am in the west coast and I got the call from Derrick about an hour ago. I am super excited. Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 22:06
IN!!!! Received call from DB at 6PM EST. On the East Coast. So pumped!!

Now planning a trip to SE Asia and Indo to travel + surf. If any other Stanford new admits want to get in on this trip. Shoot me a PM.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (Ding), Chicago (Ding), Columbia (Ding), Wharton-Lauder (Ding w/int), MIT (In!), & Stanford (In!!)
WE 1: Foreign HF 3yr
WE 2: Foreign IB 1yr
WE 3: Domestic NP 1yr

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 22:20
IN!!!

Anxiety has given way to elation! Congrats to all!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 22:39
sfmba2011 wrote:
AtypicalMBA wrote:
sfmba2011 wrote:
Just found out I got in!! In CA. My phone didn't ring so he went straight to voicemail. Strange... Anyway, got it around 7:45pm PST.

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! You were a re-applicant, right? I'm so happy for you.

Any advice for re-applicants? I might be in your shoes come next year, as it looks like my chances are going the way of the dinosaurs. (Still holding out hope for WL).

Thanks so much!! Yes, I was a re-applicant so that message from Derrick made my year!

I don't know if any of my humble advice will be helpful (or original) but I'm certainly happy to share:
1. Don't give up hope until the decisions are posted and final! =)
2. Assess your application (ask family, friends or colleagues to provide their opinions) and try to reinforce your weakest areas. (i.e. more ecs, more leadership/teamwork, refining career vision-this was one of my weaknesses, etc.)
3. Forget what you wrote in your last application and start all over again as if you've never applied. I found the process much easier once I stopped trying to massage my old essays. With a blank slate, I was much more introspective and discovered different aspects of myself that pulled my story together better. As a result, the "what" part of my "what matters most" essay ended up different from last year (although the "why" came from the same place).
4. Demonstrate how you've changed or grown over the past year. I repeated very few of my essay topics/anecdotes from last year.

Feel free to PM me if you end up re-applying and have specific questions. I can also share in more detail my approach the second time around.

Good luck!

Wow, thank you so much! These are great tips, and you are very kind to help me out, especially when you should be out celebrating! I'll certainly owe you a drink (or coffee) if I get in...this year or next. Congrats again, and best of luck on the Farm.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 22:49
Amerikanets wrote:
IN!!!

Congrats! What time did you find out PST?
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Corp dev @ internet co.
WE 2: M&A - investment banking

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 23:11
Got the call! Just after 8PM PDT
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS(R2 - IN!!!), Kellogg MMM (R2 - IN!!), Stanford GSB (R2-DING), MIT Sloan (R2-DING)
WE 1: 8.5 Yrs Microprocessor Design

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2011, 23:59
WOWEEE - Congrats to so many of you. That's fantastic news. Enjoy cloud-9 - it's a heck of a place. CHEERS
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 01:02
everyone else gone to bed?
any more calls expected????
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 04:25
Hi everyone,

I am a long-time lurker, first-time poster, and I have benefitted tremendously from the information shared in this forum, so thank you to all. I wanted to share my experience now that my MBA application process is thankfully over. I am a Mexican based in Madrid, and I got the call from Derrick yesterday at 6:30pm local time (9:30am PST).

Summary Stats:
From Tijuana, Mexico / 27 years old at Matriculation / 720 GMAT / High Undergrad GPA (MIT VI-XIV´06) / 2 year I-Banking (NYC) + 2 year PE (NYC) + 1 year Corporate Management (MAD) / Strong ECs

Process:
Submitted: 1/6/2011
Invited to Interview: 1/31/2011
Interview Date: 2/8/2011 (in Madrid)

Strong GSB community support: I have very good relationships with several alumni at my PE fund, including the co-founder. My peer recommendation was written by a former co-worker and good friend who is now a 1st year at GSB. I have a good relationship with the Mexican GSB community (current and former students).

Not sure how much of an impact it had on my process, but my sense is that the GSB has an open ear for what the “Standard-Bearer” alumni have to say about applicants. By “Standard-Bearer” I mean the alumni that personify what the GSB is about, and are very engaged with the school. My feeling is that there should be a handful in major U.S. cities, and one or two in most countries. I would advice future applicants to seek them out and listen to what they have to say. It shouldn´t be too hard, as I imagined that if you´re considering GSB, you´re a well-connected overachiever in whatever sphere of influence you live in. Something that really impressed me is how tightly-knit the Stanford community is (current students and alumni). The "Esprit-de-Corps" is extremely high, much more so than anything I have seen from my MIT alumni community, or the other top MBA programs I can now choose from. All you need is to connect with a current student or recent graduate, and you will be surprised how quickly you will be talking to one of these “Standard-Bearers.”

It is best to do this early, as it can have a significant impact in your appreciation of the Stanford experience, and thus have the most impact in your process. What I thought was a casual phone call with one of these alumni turned out to be a bona-fide interview (longer and “tougher” than my official interview). It became a very personal conversation, and it helped that we had a similar background (Mexico and MIT Undergrad). He made me question what I wanted out of the MBA experience, and motivated me to visit campus to see if the GSB experience was right for me. That conversation was the tipping point in my process, as it set off the change in my appreciation of Stanford vis-à-vis HBS, and I believe I was able to thoroughly communicate this in my application.

I cannot stress this enough. I think the litmus test is to ask yourself if you would go to Stanford if you had the choice to attend any business school, all other things being equal (i.e. fellowships, significant-other considerations, etc.). If you can honestly answer YES, and have good reasons for doing so, then you should be fine, as long as you have everything else in order (i.e. GMAT, GPA, Work Experience) and put in the time and effort for the application. What I believe Stanford is very concerned with, and tries to keep out, is the kind of person that looks stellar on paper, but is applying to the GSB because it is a top-ranked program, and is applying to H/S/W without an understanding of what each represents. The kind of person that ends up at Stanford by “default.” I was in this group when I began my MBA process, but am now very grateful that I figured out that GSB is where I want to be, and that I got the admit.

Regards,

Rodrisanz
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 04:35
By the way, Derrick mentioned that the GSB will be hosting a get-together in London for European-based admits on Saturday, April 9th, so hopefully I will be meeting some you there. Otherwise, I´m sure most of you will be at the Admit Weekend in Palo Alto a month or so from today.

Rodrisanz
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 05:06
rodrisanz wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am a long-time lurker, first-time poster, and I have benefitted tremendously from the information shared in this forum, so thank you to all. I wanted to share my experience now that my MBA application process is thankfully over. I am a Mexican based in Madrid, and I got the call from Derrick yesterday at 6:30pm local time (9:30am PST).

Summary Stats:
From Tijuana, Mexico / 27 years old at Matriculation / 720 GMAT / High Undergrad GPA (MIT VI-XIV´06) / 2 year I-Banking (NYC) + 2 year PE (NYC) + 1 year Corporate Management (MAD) / Strong ECs

Process:
Submitted: 1/6/2011
Invited to Interview: 1/31/2011
Interview Date: 2/8/2011 (in Madrid)

Strong GSB community support: I have very good relationships with several alumni at my PE fund, including the co-founder. My peer recommendation was written by a former co-worker and good friend who is now a 1st year at GSB. I have a good relationship with the Mexican GSB community (current and former students).

Not sure how much of an impact it had on my process, but my sense is that the GSB has an open ear for what the “Standard-Bearer” alumni have to say about applicants. By “Standard-Bearer” I mean the alumni that personify what the GSB is about, and are very engaged with the school. My feeling is that there should be a handful in major U.S. cities, and one or two in most countries. I would advice future applicants to seek them out and listen to what they have to say. It shouldn´t be too hard, as I imagined that if you´re considering GSB, you´re a well-connected overachiever in whatever sphere of influence you live in. Something that really impressed me is how tightly-knit the Stanford community is (current students and alumni). The "Esprit-de-Corps" is extremely high, much more so than anything I have seen from my MIT alumni community, or the other top MBA programs I can now choose from. All you need is to connect with a current student or recent graduate, and you will be surprised how quickly you will be talking to one of these “Standard-Bearers.”

It is best to do this early, as it can have a significant impact in your appreciation of the Stanford experience, and thus have the most impact in your process. What I thought was a casual phone call with one of these alumni turned out to be a bona-fide interview (longer and “tougher” than my official interview). It became a very personal conversation, and it helped that we had a similar background (Mexico and MIT Undergrad). He made me question what I wanted out of the MBA experience, and motivated me to visit campus to see if the GSB experience was right for me. That conversation was the tipping point in my process, as it set off the change in my appreciation of Stanford vis-à-vis HBS, and I believe I was able to thoroughly communicate this in my application.

I cannot stress this enough. I think the litmus test is to ask yourself if you would go to Stanford if you had the choice to attend any business school, all other things being equal (i.e. fellowships, significant-other considerations, etc.). If you can honestly answer YES, and have good reasons for doing so, then you should be fine, as long as you have everything else in order (i.e. GMAT, GPA, Work Experience) and put in the time and effort for the application. What I believe Stanford is very concerned with, and tries to keep out, is the kind of person that looks stellar on paper, but is applying to the GSB because it is a top-ranked program, and is applying to H/S/W without an understanding of what each represents. The kind of person that ends up at Stanford by “default.” I was in this group when I began my MBA process, but am now very grateful that I figured out that GSB is where I want to be, and that I got the admit.

Regards,

Rodrisanz

Congrats! Not sure if I agree with the standard bearer. I am close with my CEO, he wrote my letter of recommendation to the GSB, and he is also a very large donor and is extremely close with the GSB (he even teaches a course at the school as an adjunct). My profile and other ECs are good, but it looks like I will get my ding today.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Stanford

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 05:46
We can pontificate all we want about what we think got us in but I think that the beauty of Stanford is that you can't reduce the admissions process to a science. :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 06:03
cherrytulips wrote:
We can pontificate all we want about what we think got us in but I think that the beauty of Stanford is that you can't reduce the admissions process to a science. :)

It could not have been put any better.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 06:26
Good morning and good luck to everyone today!
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 06:27
Amerikanets wrote:
IN!!!

wow after almost striking out everywhere you get into the school with the lowest acceptance rate.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford GSB (R2), Kellogg (R2 in!!!), Stern (R2 WL)
WE 1: 4+

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 06:48
Those of you who have gotten the call- if you're comfortable sharing at this point- how much personal involvement with Alumni/admissions did you have throughout the process, and how much time did you spend on campus prior to applying?

Posted from my mobile device

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2013

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 07:14
Nerdtastic wrote:
Those of you who have gotten the call- if you're comfortable sharing at this point- how much personal involvement with Alumni/admissions did you have throughout the process, and how much time did you spend on campus prior to applying?

I had not visited nor did i talk to any significant alumni. I did chat with a few of my friends at the program to help target some of my essays to Stanford. I am located in the east though, so not sure if they expect us all to make the trek. My interviewer hammered me on WHY Stanford, why not HBS or wharton, and I think its important to have SPECIFIC and compelling reasons for why the GSB is right for you.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2011, 07:16
So theoretically we should have calls until 5PM PT, when the emails will be sent out.

Any calls reported today?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2011, 07:16

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  69   70   71   72   73   74   75  ...  81    Next  [ 1606 posts ] 

Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!!

Update application status  

Moderator: erlandgas