GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 22:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE '22 (A)
GPA: 4
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2015, 06:06
hoplite67 wrote:
gcforumuser wrote:
indiejoe1 wrote:
Anyone knows what is the dress code for the reception?

Interested to know the same.

Hey guys, went to the TBD today in Philly. Everyone was in suits. Full business attire here.

As far as the TBD itself: it was pretty informal. Just be prepared to be flexible and go where the conversation goes. Most of all, have fun. Don't be afraid to joke and banter in the discussion. They want to see how you work in a team, not what answer you come up with to the prompt. Good luck to all!

Thank you hoplite. Do they have a reception in Philly ? I wanted to know the dress code for the reception.

Also, are they strict about the 1 minute intro or do they allow it to go over the limit ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Wharton '17 (M$)
GMAT 3: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.21

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2015, 10:36
There isn't a reception in Philly. At least not for when I interviewed.

You have one minute to pitch and its best you do that since if you go over, it takes time out of the whole team allocated time to discuss and deliver. In my TBD, my pitch was less than a minute but some people went over. It didn't hurt but you just want to be mindful of others since the pitch is included in the total time allocated.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2015, 11:27
Are we allowed to refer to notes during the TBD when making our pitch?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.96
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge
Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2015, 21:17
KMH72 wrote:
Are we allowed to refer to notes during the TBD when making our pitch?

I think it's totally fine to make notes during the TBD of other people's ideas, so that you can talk more intelligently about them over the course of the TBD. However, I think it would be a bit overboard to bring in typed up notes or something that was pre-done. To each their own though.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.9
WE: Business Development (Other)

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2015, 22:03
they provided paper and pens in the room for you to take notes. Some people brought prior notes of their own as well - I personally didn't. I did however, make ample use of the paper and pens in the room as our group formulated our idea.

I also recommend staying under 1 min for your pitch. It's really an inconvenience to you and everyone else to go over as it eats up the rest of your already limited time.

They also have a separate coat room where everyone put their coats, luggage, briefcases etc.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 12:26
Thank you to those who already interviewed for providing us feedback.

I have some questions: how many observers in each TBD team? Are they the same persons that give one-on-one interview? Have they read your resume before the TBD and the one-on-one?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 12:46
2 people observe the TBD. In Philly, they are second year students and off site, you have admissions personnel. The one on one will be with one of the 2 people.

They will have a copy of your resume although the conversation isn't really about your resume.

lightfall wrote:

I have some questions: how many observers in each TBD team? Are they the same persons that give one-on-one interview? Have they read your resume before the TBD and the one-on-one?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (UC Berkeley) - Class of 2017

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 17:36
gcforumuser wrote:
hoplite67 wrote:

Hey guys, went to the TBD today in Philly. Everyone was in suits. Full business attire here.

As far as the TBD itself: it was pretty informal. Just be prepared to be flexible and go where the conversation goes. Most of all, have fun. Don't be afraid to joke and banter in the discussion. They want to see how you work in a team, not what answer you come up with to the prompt. Good luck to all!

Thank you hoplite. Do they have a reception in Philly ? I wanted to know the dress code for the reception.

Also, are they strict about the 1 minute intro or do they allow it to go over the limit ?

Sorry, I thought the reception and the TBD were the same thing. There was no separate reception in Philly apart from the TBD, so I can't speak to the reception dress code.

As others said, they're not strict about the 1-min intro at all. But those intros are counted as part of the entire team's 30 (or 35?) TBD time limit, so the longer you talk, the less time that gives the group to develop your idea. I would err on the side of less rather than more. You can definitely bring notes to refer to, but you're not expected to make some sort of formal presentation pitch. It's more of just your suggestion in a group discussion.

As to someone's resume question, they had our resumes for the 1-on-1's, but only because we provided them when we walked in the door. I don't think the TBD moderators know anything about you before you walk in the door. Seemed to be a blind interview in that way.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 00:09
Just curious - for the TBD did you print your resume on resume paper or standard white paper?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 06:12
I printed on standard white paper.

cliff1127 wrote:
Just curious - for the TBD did you print your resume on resume paper or standard white paper?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.57
WE: Other (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 07:59
pway wrote:
Hi,

Anyone who has been invited planning to take services of a consultancy firm for mocks? Any feedback from Round 1 admits?

Thanks!

pway - I did not use a consultancy firm, and I don't think it would be worth it. The only thing you can do is prepare your one minute idea, everything else will be dependent on your group and where the collective decides to take the conversation. If you participate in meetings on a regular basis you are preparing for this exercise. I would not recommend additional prep as it is probably going to be largely a waste of money.

happy to give more details of my TBD experience for anyone who wants to know more.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 08:33
Bella20 wrote:
2 people observe the TBD. In Philly, they are second year students and off site, you have admissions personnel. The one on one will be with one of the 2 people.

They will have a copy of your resume although the conversation isn't really about your resume.

lightfall wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you for the info!
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.93
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 09:23
Anybody drive to campus for the TBD? What's the parking situation like?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (UC Berkeley) - Class of 2017

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 09:40
cgottuso wrote:

I drove. Stayed in the Sheraton University City and just paid for parking there. It's $25 for 24 hours (well, I arrived about 10pm and was allowed to leave my car until 6pm the next day). Based on my 5 minutes of research beforehand, that was the best deal for me. I think there are garages all over campus but you have to pay for all of them. My understanding is that most of the street parking is not allowed overnight.
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.93
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 09:45
hoplite67 wrote:
cgottuso wrote:

I drove. Stayed in the Sheraton University City and just paid for parking there. It's $25 for 24 hours (well, I arrived about 10pm and was allowed to leave my car until 6pm the next day). Based on my 5 minutes of research beforehand, that was the best deal for me. I think there are garages all over campus but you have to pay for all of them. My understanding is that most of the street parking is not allowed overnight.

Thanks for the response!

I live only about 30 miles away so I won't be staying overnight. I'm interested in half-day parking. I suppose the garages around campus will be my best option.
Intern
Intern
Schools: ESADE '22 (A)
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 10:03
hoplite67 wrote:
gcforumuser wrote:
hoplite67 wrote:

Sorry, I thought the reception and the TBD were the same thing. There was no separate reception in Philly apart from the TBD, so I can't speak to the reception dress code.

As others said, they're not strict about the 1-min intro at all. But those intros are counted as part of the entire team's 30 (or 35?) TBD time limit, so the longer you talk, the less time that gives the group to develop your idea. I would err on the side of less rather than more. You can definitely bring notes to refer to, but you're not expected to make some sort of formal presentation pitch. It's more of just your suggestion in a group discussion.

As to someone's resume question, they had our resumes for the 1-on-1's, but only because we provided them when we walked in the door. I don't think the TBD moderators know anything about you before you walk in the door. Seemed to be a blind interview in that way.

Thank you for the details, very helpful :)
Intern
Intern
Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Feb 2015, 18:08
There is always Thursday nights at the pub. Is that what you mean by Reception? It was a great chance to talk more with your teammates and ask questions to your interviewers.
A few people brought notes.

I didn't do a admissions counseling service, but in hindsight I wish I had since this was one of the schools I really want to attend. It was slightly harder than I thought since everyone was so type A. I expected that but it think it brought out the more aggressive nature of trying to get a word in. It wasn't as collaborative, friendly, and productive as I thought it would be.

Originally posted by tangt16 on 23 Feb 2015, 14:15.
Last edited by tangt16 on 23 Feb 2015, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 17:17
tangt16 wrote:
There is always Thursday nights at the pub. Is that what you mean by Reception? It was a great chance to talk more with your teammates and ask questions to your interviewers.
I brought in typed notes, one other person brought notes. A few we're hoping to hash out the details in the session. We picked my idea mostly because mine was the most thought out idea.
I didn't do a admissions counseling service, but in hindsight I wish I had since this was one of the schools I really want to attend. It was slightly harder than I thought since everyone was so type A. I expected that but it think it brought out the more aggressive nature of trying to get a word in. It wasn't as collaborative, friendly, and productive as I thought it would be.

That's too bad to hear that it wasn't collaborative. Was it challenging to get a chance to speak?

Also, did you your whole group go to Pub together afterwards?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 18:00
Well it's a 30 minute session with 6 people so it's very limited time for anyone to really speak up.
We did all go to pub together. Had we bonded before, I'm sure the session would have been easier.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 18:11
tangt16 wrote:
I brought in typed notes, one other person brought notes. A few we're hoping to hash out the details in the session. We picked my idea mostly because mine was the most thought out idea.

The Philly interviews sound rough compared to the off sites. I did mine in SF and it was really chill, collaborative, and easy to get my thoughts in. The 5 of us had about 20 minutes to hang out and talk before anything began, fully knowing we'd all be in the same group since there was only one group at our scheduled time. I think the fact that before the interview we were in a huge and nice looking room with a view of the bay and just 5 of us compared to actually at Wharton waiting with a ton of people (I assume it's a ton but do not actually know) helps tone down the competitiveness. It was definitely a "we're all in it together" kind of feel. The adcom member we had was really cool too. Maybe my experience was an outlier though.

best of luck to everyone!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2015, 18:11

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  55    Next  [ 1093 posts ] 

Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: xprometheusx, SageJiraiya