GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2015, 20:14
ellebeedee wrote:
pway wrote:
Hi,

Anyone who has been invited planning to take services of a consultancy firm for mocks? Any feedback from Round 1 admits?

Thanks!

pway - I did not use a consultancy firm, and I don't think it would be worth it. The only thing you can do is prepare your one minute idea, everything else will be dependent on your group and where the collective decides to take the conversation. If you participate in meetings on a regular basis you are preparing for this exercise. I would not recommend additional prep as it is probably going to be largely a waste of money.

happy to give more details of my TBD experience for anyone who wants to know more.

Thanks for the reply!!

I had my TBD yesterday and think that it went okay. Everyone seemed quite collaborative and helpful. I am not sure how the adcom would make its decision though as I didn't think any of us were either exceptional or bad. The one-on-one was less than 5 minutes for all of us.

Fingers crossed!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 05:07
Anyone interviewing in Shanghai, China 3rd March in the afternoon?
PM me! Would love to chat beforehand :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Wharton '17 (M$)
GMAT 3: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.21

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 07:53
May be too late but here goes:
Parking

University Parking is available directly across Huntsman Hall at 38th and Walnut. Rates are variable, averaging $7-12/day. Metered street parking is also available (limit 2-4 hours).

cgottuso wrote:
hoplite67 wrote:
cgottuso wrote:
Anybody drive to campus for the TBD? What's the parking situation like?

I drove. Stayed in the Sheraton University City and just paid for parking there. It's $25 for 24 hours (well, I arrived about 10pm and was allowed to leave my car until 6pm the next day). Based on my 5 minutes of research beforehand, that was the best deal for me. I think there are garages all over campus but you have to pay for all of them. My understanding is that most of the street parking is not allowed overnight.

Thanks for the response!

I live only about 30 miles away so I won't be staying overnight. I'm interested in half-day parking. I suppose the garages around campus will be my best option.
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.93
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 07:55
Bella20 wrote:
May be too late but here goes:
Parking

University Parking is available directly across Huntsman Hall at 38th and Walnut. Rates are variable, averaging $7-12/day. Metered street parking is also available (limit 2-4 hours).

Not interviewing until March 5 so it was perfectly timed! This is exactly what I was looking for - thanks so much!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2015, 11:18
Bella20 wrote:
2 people observe the TBD. In Philly, they are second year students and off site, you have admissions personnel. The one on one will be with one of the 2 people.

They will have a copy of your resume although the conversation isn't really about your resume.

lightfall wrote:
Thank you to those who already interviewed for providing us feedback.

I have some questions: how many observers in each TBD team? Are they the same persons that give one-on-one interview? Have they read your resume before the TBD and the one-on-one?

Thanks!

Thank you for the info! This is very helpful.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.68
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 11:36
pway wrote:

Thanks for the reply!!

I had my TBD yesterday and think that it went okay. Everyone seemed quite collaborative and helpful. I am not sure how the adcom would make its decision though as I didn't think any of us were either exceptional or bad. The one-on-one was less than 5 minutes for all of us.

Fingers crossed!

pway Chances are is that it went well for your entire group then. It's a unique kind of interview, and unlike a formal one on one interview, it's really hard to walk away knowing that you aced it or bombed it. I felt just "okay" leaving mine, and I saw 3/5 of my group teammates at admit weekend a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck and hope to see you in the Fall!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 19:08
KMH72 wrote:
tangt16 wrote:
There is always Thursday nights at the pub. Is that what you mean by Reception? It was a great chance to talk more with your teammates and ask questions to your interviewers.
I brought in typed notes, one other person brought notes. A few we're hoping to hash out the details in the session. We picked my idea mostly because mine was the most thought out idea.
I didn't do a admissions counseling service, but in hindsight I wish I had since this was one of the schools I really want to attend. It was slightly harder than I thought since everyone was so type A. I expected that but it think it brought out the more aggressive nature of trying to get a word in. It wasn't as collaborative, friendly, and productive as I thought it would be.

That's too bad to hear that it wasn't collaborative. Was it challenging to get a chance to speak?

Also, did you your whole group go to Pub together afterwards?

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, while most TBDs will go well and take place in a collaborative atmosphere, it only takes one person to derail the discussion and hurt the entire team. No matter what, there is always an opportunity to do a good enough job, even in hostile environments. Good luck for decision day !
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/

Prepare for your HBS interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/hbs-round-one-interview-invites/
Prepare for your Wharton TBD: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/registrations-for-the-wharton-team-based-discussion-simulation/
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 20:47
rapidt wrote:
pway wrote:

Thanks for the reply!!

Fingers crossed!

pway Chances are is that it went well for your entire group then. It's a unique kind of interview, and unlike a formal one on one interview, it's really hard to walk away knowing that you aced it or bombed it. I felt just "okay" leaving mine, and I saw 3/5 of my group teammates at admit weekend a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck and hope to see you in the Fall!

Thanks, I really hope you are right and the phone rings on the D-day! :-D
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.27

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 11:47
My TBD had 2 admissions personnel running the show. 6 people interviewing, 1 minutes each to discuss their idea, 20 minutes to brainstorm, and 5 minutes to present final decision. Then each admin takes 3 prospectives and interviews them 1:1 for 10 minutes each.

I interviewed Friday, February 27th in Philly. Attended the casual lunch prior in a classroom. Full business attire all around.

Bella20 wrote:
2 people observe the TBD. In Philly, they are second year students and off site, you have admissions personnel. The one on one will be with one of the 2 people.

They will have a copy of your resume although the conversation isn't really about your resume.

lightfall wrote:

I have some questions: how many observers in each TBD team? Are they the same persons that give one-on-one interview? Have they read your resume before the TBD and the one-on-one?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.27

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 11:47
My TBD had 2 admissions personnel running the show. 6 people interviewing, 1 minutes each to discuss their idea, 20 minutes to brainstorm, and 5 minutes to present final decision. Then each admin takes 3 prospectives and interviews them 1:1 for 10 minutes each.

I interviewed Friday, February 27th in Philly. Attended the casual lunch prior in a classroom. Full business attire all around.

Bella20 wrote:

lightfall wrote:

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.58

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 19:14
It's so hard to judge how you did on these things. My group was very collaborative, but it was hard for me to get a word in at the beginning. I started talking on a couple occasions on a lull when it turned out that the person wasn't done speaking and had to back off. No one seemed offended by it, and it's common enough in a regular meeting, but I don't know if it came off looking bad. Eventually the group landed on my idea as the go to and I helped flesh out some of the details and helped connect it with a couple points others had brought up. We finished right on the buzzer and the one adcom in presence seemed to really love the idea. But I have no idea what she's grading on and the one on one was pretty short for me (though perhaps I just had a couple fewer questions).

All in all, unless there are sessions where the group crashes, I don't see how we can all get in. I don't know how she could remove 3, 2 or even 1 person from my group(unless it's me!). My other interviews were all less nerve wracking afterwards.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2015, 09:02
merper wrote:
It's so hard to judge how you did on these things. My group was very collaborative, but it was hard for me to get a word in at the beginning. I started talking on a couple occasions on a lull when it turned out that the person wasn't done speaking and had to back off. No one seemed offended by it, and it's common enough in a regular meeting, but I don't know if it came off looking bad. Eventually the group landed on my idea as the go to and I helped flesh out some of the details and helped connect it with a couple points others had brought up. We finished right on the buzzer and the one adcom in presence seemed to really love the idea. But I have no idea what she's grading on and the one on one was pretty short for me (though perhaps I just had a couple fewer questions).

All in all, unless there are sessions where the group crashes, I don't see how we can all get in. I don't know how she could remove 3, 2 or even 1 person from my group(unless it's me!). My other interviews were all less nerve wracking afterwards.

Think of it like this. For some schools, I think that the point of the application is to determine whether to grant you an interview or not, and if you do, your chances of being admitted ride completely on how that interview goes.

For Wharton, I think (totally just a guess) that the TBD is just another data point to your app, and as a whole they would review the entire app after the interview and then make decisions. I am guessing it works this way because I'm guessing that around 70-80% "pass" the TBD while only ~50% of interviewees are admitted.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.58

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2015, 09:19
rapidt wrote:
merper wrote:

Think of it like this. For some schools, I think that the point of the application is to determine whether to grant you an interview or not, and if you do, your chances of being admitted ride completely on how that interview goes.

For Wharton, I think (totally just a guess) that the TBD is just another data point to your app, and as a whole they would review the entire app after the interview and then make decisions. I am guessing it works this way because I'm guessing that around 70-80% "pass" the TBD while only ~50% of interviewees are admitted.

That's probably true. I know Chicago pretty much said that they use the interview as another data point and they operate at roughly the same size as Wharton. However, it does make the wait all the more tense as an applicant.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Wharton '17 (M$)
GMAT 3: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.21

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2015, 10:08
merper wrote:
rapidt wrote:
merper wrote:

That's probably true. I know Chicago pretty much said that they use the interview as another data point and they operate at roughly the same size as Wharton. However, it does make the wait all the more tense as an applicant.

I think this is true. I was wait listed my first time around with Wharton and I kept blaming it on my interview. The advice I got this time around was not to put too much weight on just the interview. It is just another element of the application process and for most people performance on the TBD is another piece of the whole package
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 01:33
Finally done with my TBD in Philly on this Monday. As said my most of us here, the TBD went fine. That is the mystery of this process. The way it is designed makes it difficult to say whether it was good or bad. Usually everybody feels that it went fine. And since the outcome depends more on group dynamics rather than how good was your idea or how well you designed your content, it makes the thing even more trickier for the participants to understand.
Anyways, good luck to all of us everywhere. :)
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 05:53
Do you guys know when we get news? (offer & dings?) ~march 25th?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 05:55
March 24th - Working hours Eastern time
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 06:03
YumBeeA wrote:

Do you happen to know if they call? or is it an email at the same time for everyone? I hope is the latter.
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.93
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Mar 2015, 07:49
rog45 wrote:
YumBeeA wrote:

Do you happen to know if they call? or is it an email at the same time for everyone? I hope is the latter.

I've been led to believe that admit calls go out the day before and all status changes (admit/deny/WL) will occur on the published release date (3/24). Is this incorrect?

On an unrelated note, I' have my TBD tomorrow. Philly is expecting 6"-10" of snow. I have no problem getting there no matter the conditions but is anybody aware of the protocol if others can't get in (specifically 2Ys that will be observing)?

EDIT: nevermind, I just got an e-mail with the contingency plan.

Originally posted by cgottuso on 04 Mar 2015, 06:08.
Last edited by cgottuso on 04 Mar 2015, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2015, 07:12
rog45 wrote:
YumBeeA wrote:

For R1 calls came about 3-4 hours before the decisions were made official online. It's a nice touch but it could be stressful when others get that phone call 1-2 hours before you.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2015, 07:12

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45  ...  55    Next  [ 1093 posts ] 

Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: SageJiraiya, xprometheusx