It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 12:52
jrob30 wrote:
suv8080 wrote:
jrob30 wrote:
Just got the interview invite. It looks like they are only doing interviews for 3 days and there were only 4 available on campus slots when I signed up (there may have been 6 to start with, and I signed up 25 minutes after I got the email). It looks like right now there are 16 open Skype spots.

Thank you for the information jrob30. When did you submit your application and when did you actually complete the application by submitting the responses for the video-questions?

I sent in my app a couple of days before the deadline, and finished the video questions on Saturday April 25th.

Hey jrob30, where are you applying from? West coast, central, east coast, international? Do you mind sharing your profile little bit? Appreciate it.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 13:24
suv8080 wrote:

Hey jrob30, where are you applying from? West coast, central, east coast, international? Do you mind sharing your profile little bit? Appreciate it.

Sure. I'm currently living/working in the mid west. I have 3 years of work experience in a rotational talent development program at a fortune 500 retailer.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 13:46
jrob30 wrote:
suv8080 wrote:

Sure. I'm currently living/working in the mid west. I have 3 years of work experience in a rotational talent development program at a fortune 500 retailer.

Gotcha. Thank you for sharing your information!

Current Student

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 06:40
I had my interview on campus yesterday with an adcom. I thought it went pretty well so we'll see. It was mostly about my resume which the interviewer had carefully reviewed before hand. It was my first time in New Haven and it was great; the facilities are the nicest I've seen at the 6 schools I visited. I'm pretty excited.

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 572 [0], given: 345

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 18:54
For any early lurkers or those looking to reapply next year, Bruce just announced the application dates for next year. And yes, there will only be 1 essay again!

http://som.yale.edu/blog/2015/05/direct ... -announced

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 572 [0], given: 345

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 66 [1], given: 23

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2015, 05:02
This post received
KUDOS
aerien - Congratulations on graduating as part of Yale SOM Class of 2015! You have been a great ambassador for the school on these forums! :band

Kudos [?]: 66 [1], given: 23

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 0

Business School Rankings by Industry - Top MBA Programs in Finance for [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2015, 22:17
By Paul Lanzillotti, Amerasia Consulting Group
Today's blog post is going to be the first in a series that covers business school rankings. More specifically, it's Amerasia's attempt at ranking top MBA programs by industry and based on publicly available data. Our motivation for doing this is quite simple - business school rankings differ quite drastically from publication to publication. US News seems to be the most consistent and widely followed. After Businessweek ranked Fuqua at number one, they decided to change their methodology.  Whether the two are correlated is up for debate. John Byrne over at "Poets and Quants" covered the change quite extensively here.

Regardless, we've never felt completely comfortable with the rankings because (to our knowledge) the raw data that drives the rankings has never been fully disclosed. Yes, we do know that the methodology (ranking model) has been discussed on relevant websites, but it's a cursory explanation of the process in our opinion. Also our opinion - that the process is still very much a black box.  So we decided to start over and see what we could come up with.  Most importantly we started with the very numbers that the school's career centers are reporting via their respective employment reporting.

Our opinion is that recruiting (i.e. who's hiring) drives most programs "investment" decisions - in students, faculty, courses, experiential initiatives, alumni outreach, etc.  So to know to what a specific MBA program is really all about, you need to see the end result. In other words, what industries are hiring MBA graduates and from what schools?

Now before we get into the numbers, a few words of caution. What we have done is our first attempt at a numerically based ranking and its not perfect. It's based on our interpretation of the numbers put forth by top business schools. Let us explain. Most MBA career centers report employment numbers according to the categories that we use in our rankings. Some schools break "industry" categories into further sub-categories. Other programs - i.e. Michigan Ross - roll up their industry categories under more general headers like "manufacturing". So you could be a "marketing" professional but be within the manufacturing industry. To be forthright, it's a little confusing. (This is why we have decided to exclude Michigan Ross from some categories until we gather a little more insight into their self-reported numbers.)

None-the-less, we have tried to make sense of it all and to do this we did combine some categories in order to get an apples-to-apples comparison across schools. Clear as mud?  That being said, we welcome any constructive feedback you may have. Either post your comments below or email us at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com.

Top MBA Programs in Finance (2015)
AKA THE RANKING OF BUSINESS SCHOOL PROGRAMS BY PERCENTAGE OF GRADUATES ENTERING THE FINANCE INDUSTRY IN 2014.
Our first ranking is "Finance" and Chicago Booth comes out on top.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="408"]Image
Top MBA Programs in Finance by Percentage of Graduates Entering the Industry (2015)[/caption]

Source Data:

We compiled this ranking based on information taken directly from the following MBA employment reports.
Haas

http://haas.berkeley.edu/groups/careercenter/reports/14-15ReportSummary.pdf

UCLA Anderson

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/Documents/areas/adm/cmc/2014%20PARKER%20CMC%20Employment%20Report%2002.10.15%20LR.pdf

Stanford GSB
https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/documents/Stanford%20GSB%20Employment%20Report%202013-14.pdf

MIT Sloan

http://mitsloan.mit.edu/pdf/Class_of_2014-intern_employment_report.pdf

HBS

http://www.hbs.edu/recruiting/mba/data-and-statistics/recruitingreport/

http://www.hbs.edu/recruiting/mba/data-and-statistics/employment-statistics.html

Wharton

http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/your-career/career-statistics.cfm

Kellogg

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/career_employer/employment_statistics.aspx

Chicago Booth

http://www.chicagobooth.edu/employmentreport/

Columbia

https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/recruiters/employmentreport

NYU Stern
http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admissions/full-time-mba/career/employment-statistics

Tuck

http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/careers/employment-statistics

Yale SOM

http://som.yale.edu/yale-som-connect/recruiting/employment-statistics

Michigan Ross

http://michiganross.umich.edu/our-community/recruiters

Duke Fuqua

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruiting/recruiting_duke/employment_statistics/

Cornell Johnson

http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Career-Management/Employment-Report-for-Two-Year-MBAs

UVA Darden

http://www.darden.virginia.edu/recruiters-companies/hire-an-mba/employment-reports/

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 19:37
So I got an update today that I am still on the summer waitlist. This is surprising as I assumed that as an international applicant I'd be given a clear "yes" or a "no" in order to arrange finances and sort out the visa requirements. In light of this and the outreach that Tuck has shown towards me since my admit, I might withdraw and head towards Hanover. I would have loved to be in New Haven with the awesome Yale community, but I guess SOM and I are not ready for the commitment! I enjoyed my time here getting to know you all fellow applicants and interacting with really helpful Yale alumni such as aerien.
Good luck to everyone waiting for a decision!

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2015, 00:54
I have been put on the summer waitlist as well. When is the round 3 deposit deadline ? Hope there will be some movement on the list post that.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Director
Director

Yale SOM 2015-2016 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 11:13

While the online application won’t go live until early July, Yale School of Management‘s Director of Admissions Bruce DelMonico has previewed the upcoming application deadlines for the MBA Class of 2018.
Round 1
Application Deadline: September 16, 2015
Decision Release: December 7, 2015
Enrollment Deadline: February 12, 2016
Round 2
Application Deadline: January 7, 2016
Decision Release: March 25, 2016
Enrollment Deadline: May 6, 2016
Round 3
Application Deadline: April 21, 2016
Decision Release: May 20, 2016
Enrollment Deadline: May 31, 2016

DelMonico also notes the SOM will again have a single essay prompt this season, which the school will share in early June to allow Round 1 candidates to get a head start on their applications.

For more information, visit the Yale SOM admissions website.

If you are looking for guidance on your Yale MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Director
Director

Yale SOM 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 03:56
Yale has retained its one essay from last year with no change. As Bruce DelMonico explained in a blog post, "this question really gets to the core of what Yale SOM is about and embodies our founding mission of educating leaders for business and society. So we decided that we would keep this essay question in place for another year."

As you did last year, you need to make the most of that single essay, but you also need to take the time to make every box in the application a home run.  They are not after-thoughts. Your job descriptions and activity history are very important. Write and edit them carefully. Focus on achievements. Quantify when possible and keep in mind Yale's commitment to "educating leaders for business and society."

My tips are in blue.

Essay Question:
The Yale School of Management educates individuals who will have deep and lasting impact on the organizations they lead. Describe how you have positively influenced an organization as an employee, a member, or an outside constituent.

This essay would do really well with an anecdotal response telling the story of how you positively affected your department, team, club, company, client or any entity that benefited from your contribution.  You can start with a moment of challenge or triumph. Then go back, provide context, and tell your story of contribution, hurdles overcome, and complexity handled. If your impact has lasted, say so.

Video Questions:

As part of your application, you will be asked to answer three video questions. These questions are intended to give you another opportunity to tell us about yourself. These questions are not meant to be difficult and should not require extensive preparation or special knowledge to answer. After hearing each video question, you will have 20 seconds to formulate a response, followed by up to 60 seconds to respond.

After August 15th, you will see a link in your applicant status page checklist that will allow you to complete the video questions once you have submitted your application and fee. To answer the questions, you simply need an internet connection and a webcam. These questions will take roughly 15 minutes to complete, and you will have the opportunity to test your connection and respond to a sample question before answering the questions. Once you have completed the questions, your responses will be added to your application and we will begin the review process.

To prepare for your webcam session, you need to practice for the experience of talking to a video camera with no responses from another human being. It is a weird experience. For tips on how to prepare and behave during the webcam session, please see: Tips for Video MBA Essay Questionsand listen to this interview with Yale's Bruce DelMonico, Assistant Dean and Director of Admissions at Yale SOM.

Optional Information:

If any aspect of your candidacy needs further explanation (unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance, promotions or recognitions, etc.), please provide a brief description here. (200 words maximum)

You can use the optional essay to explain or provide context as Yale SOM suggests, or you can use your optional essay to highlight something in your experiences, background, personal or professional life that didn’t fit into the required essay and that you want the admissions committee to know about. Consider relating a diversity element, a unique area of interest, or an accomplishment that you don’t feel is adequately described elsewhere.

Don’t use this optional essay as a grand summary of your application or reasons for wanting to attend Yale. Make sure the optional adds value.

Required for Reapplicants Only: 

Since your last application, please discuss any updates to your candidacy, including changes in your personal or professional life, additional coursework, or extracurricular/volunteer activities. (200 words maximum)

This is the key question that every re-applicant has to answer. Why should Yale SOM admit you this time around? What's changed? What's improved?

If you would like professional guidance with your Yale SOM MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Yale MBA application.  

Yale SOM 2015 Deadlines:

Application Deadline
Decision Release

Round 1
 September 16, 2015
 December 7, 2015

Round 2
 January 7, 2016
 March 25, 2016

Round 3
 April 21, 2016
 May 20, 2016

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsYale SOM Zone Page
• Bruce DelMonico on The Yale School of Management
• Tips for Video MBA Essay Questions

​​

This article originally appeared on blog.accepted.com, the official blog of Accepted.com.
​​Accepted.com's experienced admissions consultants can help you create the most impressive application possible with comprehensive packages, or provide targeted assistance from picking perfect programs to designing a dazzling resume, constructing engaging essays, or preparing for intense interviews…and more! Accepted.com has guided thousands of applicants to acceptances at top programs since 1994 – we know what works and what doesn't, so contact us to get started now!

Director
Director

Tuesday Tips: Yale School of Management MBA Essay Tips [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 14:46
Yale SOM’s essay question has remained unchanged this year. Yale has found that the answers to the essay question are insightful and demonstrates whether a candidate fits with the Yale core mission.

With only one essay question, and no specific career goals essay, make sure your resume and recommendations showcase your key accomplishments. You may want to highlight specific projects at work that have most excited you and shaped your future goals and discuss why. Strategically designing additional application components can add some insight to your background and enhance your candidacy.

The Yale School of Management educates individuals who will have deep and lasting impact on the organizations they lead. Describe how you have positively influenced an organization as an employee, a member, or an outside constituent.

Impact and leadership are key components to this question. Impact could range from driving business results for your company to starting an affinity group for an underrepresented employee population. Overall the impact story should be one that you are proud of and that showcases both your values and your leadership traits. Remember the type of MBA student Yale is most interested in admitting. Ideally you are coming across as an intellectually curious student with a diverse background deeply interested in the integrated curriculum.

Behavioral questions like this one seek to understand how you actually operate in various situations. Try to be as specific as possible about how you positively influenced the organization. What did you think or say when you were determining what to do? What did you actually do? How did you feel about the result? Start by describing each step in detail in terms of what you did, the reaction of others and your own reaction. From there you can cut out anything that is too detailed or too superfluous to the story to maintain the 500 word maximum.

You may decide to focus on a key solo accomplishment at work, and that may be entirely appropriate since most MBA applicants are individual contributors. However, ideally you can demonstrate how you work with others as a leader. Regardless of whether you choose an individual or team accomplishment it should show a significant positive impact on the organization or people within the organization.

If you are looking for guidance on your Yale MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Director
Director

Yale SOM 2015-2016 MBA Essay Question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 14:50
Yale School of Management has confirmed that the essay question for this upcoming admissions season remains unchanged from last year. The 2015-2016 MBA essay prompt is:

(500 words maximum)
According to Admissions Director Bruce DelMonico, the admissions committee decided to stick with this question because it, “…really gets to the core of what Yale SOM is about and embodies our founding mission of educating leaders for business and society.”

The online application will go live on July 1, 2015, and DelMonico says the school will continue to offer a sliding scale application fee for applicants whose total annual compensation is less than US $20,000, and a further reduced fee for applicants whose compensation is below US $10,000.

For more information, please visit the Yale SOM admissions website.

Yale SOM 2015-2016 MBA Essay Question   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2015, 14:50

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   [ 1013 posts ] 

Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aerien, BrushMyQuant

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap