It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 572 [0], given: 345

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 12:19
Info on Housing for Admitted Students

First, a HUGE Congratulations to everyone admitted in Round 2, including you all admitted from the Round 1 Waitlist!! Super excited to have you all join the SOM community. As always, post here or send me a PM if you have any questions.

I did want to call your attention to the on-campus housing options that are available at Yale. Especially if you're an international student (or even a domestic student) who doesn't want to have to figure out buying/moving furniture and wants an option to meet a lot of graduate students across the Yale graduate student community, I'd encourage you to check out the Yale on-campus options. There are both dormitory and apartment-style housing, most of which are located really close to SOM.

The on-campus options run on a lottery system that opens up at midnight ET on April 1 (so if you're on the east coast, that's about 9 hours from now). It's more or less first-come, first-serve, so even if you're not sure if you want to live on-campus, I'd encourage you to think about applying just in case. You'll hear back about a room assignment between May and July, so you have some time to think about it and explore other options in the mean time.

More info about the application process and the housing/pricing options here: http://gradhousing.yale.edu/how-to-apply

If you also want to check out general housing options in the New Haven area, check out this off-campus housing list: http://offcampusliving.yale.edu/

SOM Admissions will also be releasing a spreadsheet about housing options from current/graduating SOM-ers shortly, too.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 58

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 07:59
Hello,

I am planning to apply EA/R1 next fall, and I'd love to visit the campus and attend a class at Yale. However, I have been told that the times to reserve your spot for a visit are posted around August and they fly by... By that time, it might even be too late to book a flight at a decent price (flying from Spain). Assuming the deadlines for each round are similar to previous years and that class visits start on mid September (around the first deadline), would be safe to book a flight for the second fortnight of September and then arrange the visit as soon as the dates are released?

I would have probably already submitted my application but I think it's always worth visiting to get a better sense of your fit. I can't visit in May and after that there are no more visits until September...

Any thoughts on this, or did you just wait until the last minute to book your flight, once you had the visit scheduled?

Thank you!

kheown

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 58

Current Student
Affiliations: Yale School of Management

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Schools: Yale '16 (M)

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 09:09
Hey Kheown,

You're right - signups typically start in the Autumn and they do fill up pretty fast and I totally understand that airfare increases significantly, particularly for candidates flying in from afar. I'll send you a PM and I can try to help arrange something.

Best,

Dan '16

kheown wrote:
Hello,

I am planning to apply EA/R1 next fall, and I'd love to visit the campus and attend a class at Yale. However, I have been told that the times to reserve your spot for a visit are posted around August and they fly by... By that time, it might even be too late to book a flight at a decent price (flying from Spain). Assuming the deadlines for each round are similar to previous years and that class visits start on mid September (around the first deadline), would be safe to book a flight for the second fortnight of September and then arrange the visit as soon as the dates are released?

I would have probably already submitted my application but I think it's always worth visiting to get a better sense of your fit. I can't visit in May and after that there are no more visits until September...

Any thoughts on this, or did you just wait until the last minute to book your flight, once you had the visit scheduled?

Thank you!

kheown

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 10:20
Hi. Below is my profile-

1) 2.5 years work ex : Right after completing my engineering, I helped set up my family business by working as the Lead designer in developing a CRM. I quit after a year and am working as a Senior Analyst at HCL Technologies since 1.5 yrs

2) GRE - 320 (160V - 84%ile, 160Q - 78%ile)

3) Computer science engineer, 2012, from Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi, India with 6.8/10 cgpa

4) Did a cancer awareness campaign, writing a science fiction book, passionate about technology, blog for Huffington Post

5) My goal is to start my own product-based technology company

Applied in R3 to Johnson, Darden and Ross. Do I have a chance at Yale SOM if I apply now?

Last edited by muditk on 05 Apr 2015, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 572 [1], given: 345

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 18:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
muditk wrote:
Hi. Below is my profile-

1) 2.5 years work ex : Right after completing my engineering, I helped set up my family business a working as the Lead designer for the CRM. I quit after a year and am working as a Senior Analyst at HCL Technologies since 1.5 yrs

2) GRE - 320 (160V - 84%ile, 160Q - 78%ile)

3) Computer science engineer, 2012, from Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, New Delhi, India with 6.8/10 cgpa

4) Did a cancer awareness campaign, writing a science fiction book, passionate about technology, blog for Huffington Post

5) My goal is to start my own product-based technology company

Applied in R3 to Johnson, Darden and Ross. Do I have a chance at Yale SOM if I apply now?

Hi muditk,

The R3 deadline is April 23 so you certainly have time to submit an application. I don't know if any of us can really tell you if you'll be admitted or not, but it's one of those things that you don't know until you try. You seem to have an idea of where you're headed and what you want to do with an MBA -- and combine that with some fun sounding hobbies -- you seem like a cool person to have in an MBA program! I'd say if you're already committed applying to schools in R3, go ahead and give SOM a shot if you feel like the program is a good place for you.

Best of luck!

aerien

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 21:31
aerien wrote:

Hi muditk,

The R3 deadline is April 23 so you certainly have time to submit an application. I don't know if any of us can really tell you if you'll be admitted or not, but it's one of those things that you don't know until you try. You seem to have an idea of where you're headed and what you want to do with an MBA -- and combine that with some fun sounding hobbies -- you seem like a cool person to have in an MBA program! I'd say if you're already committed applying to schools in R3, go ahead and give SOM a shot if you feel like the program is a good place for you.

Best of luck!

Thanks aerien. I am concerned because Yale's avg GMAT is 720 whereas my GRE score equates to only a 640 GMAT.
Also their average GPA is 3.56 as compared to my 3.2. I know the profile matters a lot, but with only one essay to make a mark for myself, I am skeptical about my chances at a top 10 school.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 15:08
Hey There Muditk,

I'd also like to echo aerien's comments - I think the biggest risk is the one not taken. So I highly encourage you to apply. Bruce and the team in Adcom read every single essay, so you do have your moment to speak directly to them. Also, you could consider one of the optional essay addendums.

Frankly, as a student who also had a lower GRE score and GPA, recall that that's only there are plenty of us who do have a lower than average test scores and marks and that "average" is just a metric - Frankly, speaking as someone who's worked with admissions, it's your trajectory and passion that, at the end of the day, matters most.

Let us know if you have any additional questions, and best of luck!

Dan

muditk wrote:
aerien wrote:

Hi muditk,

Best of luck!

Thanks aerien. I am concerned because Yale's avg GMAT is 720 whereas my GRE score equates to only a 640 GMAT.
Also their average GPA is 3.56 as compared to my 3.2. I know the profile matters a lot, but with only one essay to make a mark for myself, I am skeptical about my chances at a top 10 school.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 22

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q41 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2015, 05:35
Hi,

I am currently a little lost with the essay prompt of Yale SOM. I need a fresh perspective. I would be glad if experts/alum's/ students of the school could offer some advice. Here's my profile.

*10 years work ex - Industry/s - hospitality, Alcobev marketing consulting, Hotel projects consulting.

*Bachelors - Hotel Management - India - First Division - (basically means an average student)

* Masters - Hospitality - France - 14.32/20 - French 20 point scale

* GMAT - 680 V35 Q47 AWA 5.5

*Current work ex - Started a hotel management company in China in 2012. My company owns and operates 1 Boutique hotel brand (small luxury hotel with 20 rooms)and 1 Italian restaurant brand in South China. Franchising the brand to 3 prospective hotels (in talks and will finalize soon) and more franchises soon. Annual Revenue - 750k USD

*Extracurriculars - Coordinated and volunteered a program by the Indian government to educate food vendors on hygiene and sanitation. Church volunteer. writing a social fiction book. Admission assistant for the school during my masters.

*Other activities - Rock climbing & Bouldering. I just love it!!!!! Climbing is all about problem-solving. Learning to play the Guqin (a Chinese string instrument)

Languages - English, French, Chinese (spoken only), Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi

Why an MBA - I want to expand my hotel business and want to diversify into the niche luxury consumer products industry.

R3 applications - Darden, Georgetown, and Yale ( was looking for a suitable management firm to manage the business when I am away and that's why R3)

The essay prompt is quite straightforward - how have you influenced an organization as an employee, a member or an outside constituent. That's where I am troubled. I would like to talk about my entrepreneurial experience, but would that really answer the question? To my organization, I am neither an employee or a member but the founder. I built the core values and the organization itself, so how I am really influencing it?

As I said, I need a fresh perspective and coming from a non-engineering background do I even stand a chance?

Thanks!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 03:40
Obviously I'm not an adcom so I can't be sure, but I would say that in this instance it's pretty clear that your entrepreneurial experience answers the question. To me, this is like the spirit of the law vs the word of the law, I am sure that the spirit of the question is how you have influenced an organization. Just because you are not specifically an employee or member, this doesn't negate your experience.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 30

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 03:49
In my opinion a founder also counts as a member of an organization.

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 30

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 19:23
I will third this. As a founder, you are a member of an organization. You might have the primary vision for the organization but you still need to inspire people to come on board with you to accomplish what you want to do. Those people don't have to be direct employees; they could be business partners or customers. It's not entirely possible to solely operate a firm within a vacuum.

Short answer: Use your entrepreneurial experience in this essay if that's what you think fits best. I personally think it fits within the confines of the essay prompt.

aerien

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 22:19
aerien wrote:
I will third this. As a founder, you are a member of an organization. You might have the primary vision for the organization, but you still need to inspire people to come on board with you to accomplish what you want to do. Those people don't have to be direct employees; they could be business partners or customers. It's not entirely possible to solely operate a firm within a vacuum.

Short answer: Use your entrepreneurial experience in this essay if that's what you think fits best. I personally think it fits within the confines of the essay prompt.

Thanks for the response. " they could be business partners or customers" Put in this way it does make sense.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2015, 14:23
8088 wrote:
Hey There Muditk,

I'd also like to echo aerien's comments - I think the biggest risk is the one not taken. So I highly encourage you to apply. Bruce and the team in Adcom read every single essay, so you do have your moment to speak directly to them. Also, you could consider one of the optional essay addendums.

Frankly, as a student who also had a lower GRE score and GPA, recall that that's only there are plenty of us who do have a lower than average test scores and marks and that "average" is just a metric - Frankly, speaking as someone who's worked with admissions, it's your trajectory and passion that, at the end of the day, matters most.

Let us know if you have any additional questions, and best of luck!

Dan

Thanks Dan. I hope the adcom understands my trajectory and passion

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2015, 19:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Good luck muditk! Wishing you the best of luck with this process!

aerien

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 19:34
Hi,

I am doing some school research and what area/program is YALE SOM focused at or known for? I researched about it on its website and seems as Strategic Management and Finance are what they are known for, is that correct? Also, I saw the employment report for the recent graduates and noticed that most of the students go to 1. consulting and 2. finance so I assume if you want to get into consulting or wall street, then YALE SOM should be one of your target schools, right? Moreover, is it known for entrepreneurship at all? Thank you for your inputs!

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2015, 08:57
Hey suv8080,

Happy to help you with your questions.

So as you probably know, SOM doesn't have any majors or concentrations per se - instead during our time at SOM, outside of the integrated core curriculum, we have the complete flexibility to take any classes at SOM and throughout the entire Yale University. That being said, professional clubs and departments have organized informal "tracks" for students interested in specific industries or areas.

This being said, in terms of academic departments, you're spot on - SOM is known for being a pioneer in behavior finance and econ, organizational behavior, and strategic management. SOM has a strong partnership with the Forestry School and the Center for Business and the Environment, and is very strong in the CleanTech/Renewable Energy field. SOM has historically been very strong in the NGO-Public sector as well, and this continues. Finally, off the top of my head, SOM is also known for it's Yale Center for Customer Insights, which provides an insights-driven approach to marketing.

Entrepreneurship is what is on nearly everyone's mind at SOM - IIRC, two years ago Kyle Jensen joined SOM as the director of Entrepreneurship and has significantly increased the curricula offered and we have a very close working relationship with the Center for Engineering, Innovation, and Design, and the Yale Entrepreneurial Institute. SOM's students have been making fantastic progress with their ventures and this is reflected in some great press.

Finally, in regards to recruiting, just like any other top business school, you are correct in identifying that Finance and Consulting are among the two greatest industry draws for students. That being said, SOM is singularly positioned as it has among the greatest spread of recruiting among different industries from most business schools, which said another way, SOM has among the highest percentage critical masses of students recruiting into different industries, say, relative to a business school where upwards of 40% recruit into just one industry.

Happy to expound further on anything, let me know if you have any other questions!

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
Hi,

I am doing some school research and what area/program is YALE SOM focused at or known for? I researched about it on its website and seems as Strategic Management and Finance are what they are known for, is that correct? Also, I saw the employment report for the recent graduates and noticed that most of the students go to 1. consulting and 2. finance so I assume if you want to get into consulting or wall street, then YALE SOM should be one of your target schools, right? Moreover, is it known for entrepreneurship at all? Thank you for your inputs!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2015, 17:44
Hi has anyone gone through the verification process yet? How does it work?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2015, 13:05
8088 wrote:
Hey suv8080,

So as you probably know, SOM doesn't have any majors or concentrations per se - instead during our time at SOM, outside of the integrated core curriculum, we have the complete flexibility to take any classes at SOM and throughout the entire Yale University. That being said, professional clubs and departments have organized informal "tracks" for students interested in specific industries or areas.

This being said, in terms of academic departments, you're spot on - SOM is known for being a pioneer in behavior finance and econ, organizational behavior, and strategic management. SOM has a strong partnership with the Forestry School and the Center for Business and the Environment, and is very strong in the CleanTech/Renewable Energy field. SOM has historically been very strong in the NGO-Public sector as well, and this continues. Finally, off the top of my head, SOM is also known for it's Yale Center for Customer Insights, which provides an insights-driven approach to marketing.

Entrepreneurship is what is on nearly everyone's mind at SOM - IIRC, two years ago Kyle Jensen joined SOM as the director of Entrepreneurship and has significantly increased the curricula offered and we have a very close working relationship with the Center for Engineering, Innovation, and Design, and the Yale Entrepreneurial Institute. SOM's students have been making fantastic progress with their ventures and this is reflected in some great press.

Finally, in regards to recruiting, just like any other top business school, you are correct in identifying that Finance and Consulting are among the two greatest industry draws for students. That being said, SOM is singularly positioned as it has among the greatest spread of recruiting among different industries from most business schools, which said another way, SOM has among the highest percentage critical masses of students recruiting into different industries, say, relative to a business school where upwards of 40% recruit into just one industry.

Happy to expound further on anything, let me know if you have any other questions!

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
Hi,

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your great detailed insight into YALE SOM. You mentioned that students at YALE SOM can take any classes offered at Yale University so can you take courses at Yale Law school? For example, if I would like to learn more about business law, can I take courses related to that area at Yale Law school?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2015, 20:18
8088 wrote:
Hey suv8080,

This being said in terms of academic departments, you're spot on - SOM is known for being a pioneer in behavior finance and econ, organizational behavior, and strategic management. SOM has a strong partnership with the Forestry School and the Center for Business and the Environment and is very strong in the CleanTech/Renewable Energy field. SOM has historically been very strong in the NGO-Public sector as well, and this continues. Finally, off the top of my head, SOM is also known for it's Yale Center for Customer Insights, which provides an insights driven approach to marketing.

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
Hi,

Dear 8088,

Thank you for the response. I am attracted to Yale SOM for its focus on Entrepreneurship. I have a question though. Does the raw case approach include entrepreneurial cases(also), or cases, in which the problems and issues are that of an emerging or new firm?

Thank you for your response and inputs.

Maxk297

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2015, 11:55
suv8080 wrote:
8088 wrote:
Hey suv8080,

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
Hi,

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your great detailed insight into YALE SOM. You mentioned that students at YALE SOM can take any classes offered at Yale University so can you take courses at Yale Law school? For example, if I would like to learn more about business law, can I take courses related to that area at Yale Law school?

Yes, the SOM curriculum is very flexible so that does mean you can take courses at the law school. They have a few business law classes you can take and there are also some business law courses offered at SOM as electives too.

aerien

Re: Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 19 Apr 2015, 11:55

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51    Next  [ 1013 posts ] 

Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, BrushMyQuant, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap