GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 May 2020, 15:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
Re: Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 02:40
Obviously I'm not an adcom so I can't be sure, but I would say that in this instance it's pretty clear that your entrepreneurial experience answers the question. To me, this is like the spirit of the law vs the word of the law, I am sure that the spirit of the question is how you have influenced an organization. Just because you are not specifically an employee or member, this doesn't negate your experience.

That's my 2 cents anyway.
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 02:49
In my opinion a founder also counts as a member of an organization.
Board of Directors
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 18:23
I will third this. As a founder, you are a member of an organization. You might have the primary vision for the organization but you still need to inspire people to come on board with you to accomplish what you want to do. Those people don't have to be direct employees; they could be business partners or customers. It's not entirely possible to solely operate a firm within a vacuum.

Short answer: Use your entrepreneurial experience in this essay if that's what you think fits best. I personally think it fits within the confines of the essay prompt.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q41 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2015, 21:19
aerien wrote:
I will third this. As a founder, you are a member of an organization. You might have the primary vision for the organization, but you still need to inspire people to come on board with you to accomplish what you want to do. Those people don't have to be direct employees; they could be business partners or customers. It's not entirely possible to solely operate a firm within a vacuum.

Short answer: Use your entrepreneurial experience in this essay if that's what you think fits best. I personally think it fits within the confines of the essay prompt.

Thanks for the response. " they could be business partners or customers" Put in this way it does make sense.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2015, 13:23
8088 wrote:
Hey There Muditk,

I'd also like to echo aerien's comments - I think the biggest risk is the one not taken. So I highly encourage you to apply. Bruce and the team in Adcom read every single essay, so you do have your moment to speak directly to them. Also, you could consider one of the optional essay addendums.

Frankly, as a student who also had a lower GRE score and GPA, recall that that's only there are plenty of us who do have a lower than average test scores and marks and that "average" is just a metric - Frankly, speaking as someone who's worked with admissions, it's your trajectory and passion that, at the end of the day, matters most.

Let us know if you have any additional questions, and best of luck!

Dan

Thanks Dan. I hope the adcom understands my trajectory and passion
Board of Directors
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2015, 18:23
Good luck muditk! Wishing you the best of luck with this process!

aerien

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2015, 18:34
Hi,

I am doing some school research and what area/program is YALE SOM focused at or known for? I researched about it on its website and seems as Strategic Management and Finance are what they are known for, is that correct? Also, I saw the employment report for the recent graduates and noticed that most of the students go to 1. consulting and 2. finance so I assume if you want to get into consulting or wall street, then YALE SOM should be one of your target schools, right? Moreover, is it known for entrepreneurship at all? Thank you for your inputs!
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Yale School of Management
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2015, 07:57
Hey suv8080,

Happy to help you with your questions.

So as you probably know, SOM doesn't have any majors or concentrations per se - instead during our time at SOM, outside of the integrated core curriculum, we have the complete flexibility to take any classes at SOM and throughout the entire Yale University. That being said, professional clubs and departments have organized informal "tracks" for students interested in specific industries or areas.

This being said, in terms of academic departments, you're spot on - SOM is known for being a pioneer in behavior finance and econ, organizational behavior, and strategic management. SOM has a strong partnership with the Forestry School and the Center for Business and the Environment, and is very strong in the CleanTech/Renewable Energy field. SOM has historically been very strong in the NGO-Public sector as well, and this continues. Finally, off the top of my head, SOM is also known for it's Yale Center for Customer Insights, which provides an insights-driven approach to marketing.

Entrepreneurship is what is on nearly everyone's mind at SOM - IIRC, two years ago Kyle Jensen joined SOM as the director of Entrepreneurship and has significantly increased the curricula offered and we have a very close working relationship with the Center for Engineering, Innovation, and Design, and the Yale Entrepreneurial Institute. SOM's students have been making fantastic progress with their ventures and this is reflected in some great press.

Finally, in regards to recruiting, just like any other top business school, you are correct in identifying that Finance and Consulting are among the two greatest industry draws for students. That being said, SOM is singularly positioned as it has among the greatest spread of recruiting among different industries from most business schools, which said another way, SOM has among the highest percentage critical masses of students recruiting into different industries, say, relative to a business school where upwards of 40% recruit into just one industry.

Happy to expound further on anything, let me know if you have any other questions!

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
Hi,

I am doing some school research and what area/program is YALE SOM focused at or known for? I researched about it on its website and seems as Strategic Management and Finance are what they are known for, is that correct? Also, I saw the employment report for the recent graduates and noticed that most of the students go to 1. consulting and 2. finance so I assume if you want to get into consulting or wall street, then YALE SOM should be one of your target schools, right? Moreover, is it known for entrepreneurship at all? Thank you for your inputs!
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2015, 16:44
Hi has anyone gone through the verification process yet? How does it work?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2015, 12:05
8088 wrote:
Hey suv8080,

So as you probably know, SOM doesn't have any majors or concentrations per se - instead during our time at SOM, outside of the integrated core curriculum, we have the complete flexibility to take any classes at SOM and throughout the entire Yale University. That being said, professional clubs and departments have organized informal "tracks" for students interested in specific industries or areas.

This being said, in terms of academic departments, you're spot on - SOM is known for being a pioneer in behavior finance and econ, organizational behavior, and strategic management. SOM has a strong partnership with the Forestry School and the Center for Business and the Environment, and is very strong in the CleanTech/Renewable Energy field. SOM has historically been very strong in the NGO-Public sector as well, and this continues. Finally, off the top of my head, SOM is also known for it's Yale Center for Customer Insights, which provides an insights-driven approach to marketing.

Entrepreneurship is what is on nearly everyone's mind at SOM - IIRC, two years ago Kyle Jensen joined SOM as the director of Entrepreneurship and has significantly increased the curricula offered and we have a very close working relationship with the Center for Engineering, Innovation, and Design, and the Yale Entrepreneurial Institute. SOM's students have been making fantastic progress with their ventures and this is reflected in some great press.

Finally, in regards to recruiting, just like any other top business school, you are correct in identifying that Finance and Consulting are among the two greatest industry draws for students. That being said, SOM is singularly positioned as it has among the greatest spread of recruiting among different industries from most business schools, which said another way, SOM has among the highest percentage critical masses of students recruiting into different industries, say, relative to a business school where upwards of 40% recruit into just one industry.

Happy to expound further on anything, let me know if you have any other questions!

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
Hi,

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your great detailed insight into YALE SOM. You mentioned that students at YALE SOM can take any classes offered at Yale University so can you take courses at Yale Law school? For example, if I would like to learn more about business law, can I take courses related to that area at Yale Law school?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q41 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2015, 19:18
8088 wrote:
Hey suv8080,

This being said in terms of academic departments, you're spot on - SOM is known for being a pioneer in behavior finance and econ, organizational behavior, and strategic management. SOM has a strong partnership with the Forestry School and the Center for Business and the Environment and is very strong in the CleanTech/Renewable Energy field. SOM has historically been very strong in the NGO-Public sector as well, and this continues. Finally, off the top of my head, SOM is also known for it's Yale Center for Customer Insights, which provides an insights driven approach to marketing.

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
Hi,

Dear 8088,

Thank you for the response. I am attracted to Yale SOM for its focus on Entrepreneurship. I have a question though. Does the raw case approach include entrepreneurial cases(also), or cases, in which the problems and issues are that of an emerging or new firm?

Thank you for your response and inputs.

Maxk297
Board of Directors
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2015, 10:55
suv8080 wrote:
8088 wrote:
Hey suv8080,

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
Hi,

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your great detailed insight into YALE SOM. You mentioned that students at YALE SOM can take any classes offered at Yale University so can you take courses at Yale Law school? For example, if I would like to learn more about business law, can I take courses related to that area at Yale Law school?

Yes, the SOM curriculum is very flexible so that does mean you can take courses at the law school. They have a few business law classes you can take and there are also some business law courses offered at SOM as electives too.

aerien

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2015, 08:10
Hey there suv8080,

Sorry for the delay in responding - it was a busy weekend for me.

Aerin is spot on - there's a load of business law classes at SOM and at YLS that you can take.

One of the most popular courses at SOM is Legal Aspects of Entrepreneurship. Here's the course description:

Quote:
This course will examine a variety of legal and strategic issues likely to arise in the course of forming an entrepreneurial venture and managing a growing firm. Students will learn how to use the law and legal tools to create value, marshal resources (human and financial), and manage risk and how to integrate legal and regulatory considerations into a firm’s overall strategy. Issues addressed include arrangements among the founders, intellectual property protection, venture capital financing, executive compensation (including tax considerations), securities regulation, and mergers and acquisitions. LAE will be of particular interest to students planning to become entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, investment bankers, chief financial officers, or directors of business development in large firms.

It's an extraordinary class and the textbook is one that students often refer back to even when they've finished the course.

Happy to forward you the syllabus or chat more if you have any additional questions.

Best of luck!

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
8088 wrote:
Hey suv8080,

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
Hi,

Hi Dan,

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2015, 08:16
Hey there Maxk297,

I'd be happy to answer your question! Unfortunately the SOM case index is down right now for maintenance, so I can't give you a specific readout of how many Raw cases are about established versus entrepreneurial firms, but I can tell you that during your time in the integrated core, it is definitely a mix of both - and also of established companies when they were startups, which offers fantastic perspective on tough decisions, growth, and how things turned out.

I think entrepreneurship under the stewardship of Dean Snyder and Professor Jensen is really taking off - check out this article in YDN about this recent event: http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2015/04/20/entrepreneurship-weekend-awards-thousands-in-prizes/

It's a really exciting time to be at SOM. Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Dan '16

maxk297 wrote:
8088 wrote:
Hey suv8080,

This being said in terms of academic departments, you're spot on - SOM is known for being a pioneer in behavior finance and econ, organizational behavior, and strategic management. SOM has a strong partnership with the Forestry School and the Center for Business and the Environment and is very strong in the CleanTech/Renewable Energy field. SOM has historically been very strong in the NGO-Public sector as well, and this continues. Finally, off the top of my head, SOM is also known for it's Yale Center for Customer Insights, which provides an insights driven approach to marketing.

Dan '16

suv8080 wrote:
Hi,

Dear 8088,

Thank you for the response. I am attracted to Yale SOM for its focus on Entrepreneurship. I have a question though. Does the raw case approach include entrepreneurial cases(also), or cases, in which the problems and issues are that of an emerging or new firm?

Thank you for your response and inputs.

Maxk297
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 10:18
Thanks for the responses guys.

Dan and everyone else, so on the application, it says there will be video questions or something in that fashion. Could you please provide more insight? What type of questions they usually deal with? What are the best ways to prepare for them? How much impact do they have on the application? Thank you guys!
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 10:29
Hey suv8080

Sure thing! All of this is hearsay, but I can give your question a shot - I applied in 2012, so it was the last year before the video interviews. My understanding is that the video questions are mostly behavioral. Imagine questions along "tell us a time when..." or "how did you handle a situation when your co-workers..." There might be casing questions, but I hear that is uncommon. Other questions would revolve around general business, like "What is the greatest challenge in this market today..."

You are provided the prompts via a video of an Adcom member explaining it to you and given a few moments to collect your thoughts before recording your response. Be sure to dress up, be in a quiet, neat room, have a good Internet connection, &c, as while those don't have material effects on a decision, but can reflect well or poorly on an individual. My understanding is that the video interviews are not a make or break component of your application, but help provide context and confirm thoughts that Adcom has about applicants like yourself.

Hope this helps!

Dan

suv8080 wrote:

Dan and everyone else, so on the application, it says there will be video questions or something in that fashion. Could you please provide more insight? What type of questions they usually deal with? What are the best ways to prepare for them? How much impact do they have on the application? Thank you guys!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 12:00
8088 wrote:
Hey suv8080

Sure thing! All of this is hearsay, but I can give your question a shot - I applied in 2012, so it was the last year before the video interviews. My understanding is that the video questions are mostly behavioral. Imagine questions along "tell us a time when..." or "how did you handle a situation when your co-workers..." There might be casing questions, but I hear that is uncommon. Other questions would revolve around general business, like "What is the greatest challenge in this market today..."

You are provided the prompts via a video of an Adcom member explaining it to you and given a few moments to collect your thoughts before recording your response. Be sure to dress up, be in a quiet, neat room, have a good Internet connection, &c, as while those don't have material effects on a decision, but can reflect well or poorly on an individual. My understanding is that the video interviews are not a make or break component of your application, but help provide context and confirm thoughts that Adcom has about applicants like yourself.

Hope this helps!

Dan

suv8080 wrote:

Hi Dan,

Ah I see. So this is literally an interview but just over the internet. Is the reason why I need a camera on my computer is because I have to record my answer rather than typing in? Thank you very much for your inputs Dan! I really appreciate it.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 12:16
Hi Suv8080,

Yep, it's like an interview, but a recorded one - that's exactly why you need your webcam. Nothing is live on Adcom's end - just your end.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Dan

suv8080 wrote:
8088 wrote:
Hey suv8080

Hope this helps!

Dan

suv8080 wrote:

Hi Dan,

Ah I see. So this is literally an interview but just over the internet. Is the reason why I need a camera on my computer is because I have to record my answer rather than typing in? Thank you very much for your inputs Dan! I really appreciate it.
VP
VP
Female Leadership: Where it’s Strong, Where it Can Improve  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 09:29

Gender issues at business school remain a hot topic in graduate management education, and just this past week, three fascinating articles on the subject have been published. The first is a Bloomberg Businessweek interview with Dean Allison Davis-Blake of University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business.

As one of only ten female deans at the top 60 business schools, Davis-Blake tells the media outlet that she’s used to being alone at the top. She points out that the reason why the vast majority of deans are men can be traced back to the 1980s, which is when most of today’s deans were in graduate school and women made up a much smaller percentage of students pursuing advanced degrees.

The road to deanship includes many required benchmarks, explains Davis-Blake, from earning a PhD to landing a tenure track job as an assistant professor to eventually making tenure, and then candidates must further distinguish themselves as academic leaders. We currently find very few women at the other side of those hurdles.

While the dean had many male mentors who exposed her to leadership opportunities along the way, Davis-Blake says she hopes women coming up today have something she didn’t: more direct female role models.

Speaking of her mentors, the dean tells Bloomberg, “They might be a lot like me dimensionally, they might think a lot like me, or they might speak a lot like me, but I can’t look at them and say, ‘Oh, that person has the same issues in life that I have.’ Looking at another woman, I can say that I see myself more in that person. Having more women deans around allows people to say, ‘Yeah, I could do this’.”

Female numbers in MBA programs were miniscule 30 years ago, but the demographics are changing, and many top business schools have enrolled up to 40% women in the Class of 2016. Women make up 37% of the Yale School of Management Class of 2016, down 2 percentage points from last year, but there are still healthy signs of strong female leadership at the school.

A new story in the Yale Daily News  reports that earlier this month, the SOM student body elected its fourth female student body president in a row, calling this a sign of increasing female involvement and diversity at the business school.

Brittan Berry (MBA ’16), who was just elected for the position, says the SOM’s dedication to diversity contributes to this continuity in female leadership, adding, ““I think the SOM is continuously moving forward in its mission to become one of the most diverse business schools.”

According to current student government president Alexa Allen (MBA ’15), about half of all leadership positions at the SOM are occupied by women, and that “diversity is the norm.” Former president Caitlin Sullivan (MBA ’13) concurs, noting that “although her class at the SOM was about 35 percent women, the women within the school exhibited disproportionate influence because of the leadership positions they occupied.”

If this trend at Yale SOM (and elsewhere) continues to grow, Dean Davis-Blake will be able to rest easy about having sufficient female role models for the next generation of women leaders.

Whereas traditional two-year MBA programs are making notable strides to achieve parity in female enrollment, a new article in Fortune reports that is far from the case at executive MBA programs offered at the country’s top business schools.

Harvard Business School’s two-year MBA program is made up of 41% women; the EMBA enrolls 24%. At MIT Sloan School of Management, the figure in their executive program is about 17%. And while the Wharton School declined to offer specifics, the school’s vice dean of executive education Monica McGrath told Fortune that although the two-year program had almost 50% female enrollment, “In executive education, it’s not even close to that. It’s a problem, for sure.”

In short, notes the article’s author Katherine Noyes, “Exec-ed programs skew male because, unfortunately, C-suite offices still skew male.”

And so it goes back to the problems Dean Allison Davis-Blake laid out above. Executive education programs are designed for professionals who have been in the workforce for ten-plus years, and that’s where the numbers for women begin their decline.

The outlook is not all doom and gloom though. With the approaching parity we’re seeing in two-year MBA programs, in another 20 years this issue of imbalance may be nothing more than a relic of the past.

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2015, 07:29
When do we think the 3rd round interview invites will go out? SOM has by far the quickest turn around I've seen as the decision deadline is 3 weeks and a couple days from today (which is the last day for the video essays). I really want to interview on campus as I haven't been able to visit yet, but I'm afraid they're only going to give a week of two notice and it might me hard to get work off.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2015, 07:29

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51    Next  [ 1005 posts ] 

Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

Update application status  

Moderator: sharathnair14