It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 22:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 850

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 12:02
Hey meddlingkid, looks like ur 100% committed at booth? Did you join the facebook group?

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 356

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 12:34
sonibubu wrote:
Hey meddlingkid, looks like ur 100% committed at booth? Did you join the facebook group?

Soni, yessir it looks that way. I probably shouldn't say that I'm 100% committed until I see the financial package, however. Are you still waiting to hear from Kellogg before making the decision?

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 12:48
MeddlingKid wrote:
sonibubu wrote:
Hey meddlingkid, looks like ur 100% committed at booth? Did you join the facebook group?

Soni, yessir it looks that way. I probably shouldn't say that I'm 100% committed until I see the financial package, however. Are you still waiting to hear from Kellogg before making the decision?


when do the packages come out? end of feb?

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 31

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 356

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 12:53
AC wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:
sonibubu wrote:
Hey meddlingkid, looks like ur 100% committed at booth? Did you join the facebook group?

Soni, yessir it looks that way. I probably shouldn't say that I'm 100% committed until I see the financial package, however. Are you still waiting to hear from Kellogg before making the decision?


when do the packages come out? end of feb?

That's my understanding. I still need to do a bit more research to determine what sort of actions are required on my end. Did you finally decide to attend Booth?

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 13:01
Quote:
That's my understanding. I still need to do a bit more research to determine what sort of actions are required on my end. Did you finally decide to attend Booth?


Over Tuck, yes. :)

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 31

Joined: 31 Dec 1969

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 13:13
MeddlingKid wrote:
That's my understanding. I still need to do a bit more research to determine what sort of actions are required on my end. Did you finally decide to attend Booth?


I did! Are you going to admit weekend?

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 370

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Location: New York, Paris
Schools: Wharton '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 14:03
Guys, I am ignorant. What packages are you expecting end of Feb? Have you been told about scholarships on your acceptance call is that why you are expecting a package? Just curious and somewhat hopeful...

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 850

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 14:30
falibay wrote:
Guys, I am ignorant. What packages are you expecting end of Feb? Have you been told about scholarships on your acceptance call is that why you are expecting a package? Just curious and somewhat hopeful...


I'm wondering the same thing.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Joined: 31 Dec 1969

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 14:47
falibay wrote:
Guys, I am ignorant. What packages are you expecting end of Feb? Have you been told about scholarships on your acceptance call is that why you are expecting a package? Just curious and somewhat hopeful...


Merit scholarships were told to us on the acceptance call, but I haven't heard anything about fellowships yet.

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Joined: 31 Dec 1969

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 15:56
I sent them an email asking a few questions about fellowships and career advisors last week and I just got a response today (I love how quick they are!) But hopefully this answers someone's questions out there:

In terms of fellowships, selection is completed by an external review committee which is comprised of faculty, alumni and other interested parties. Our role in admissions is to provide nominations to these committees based on fit and match with student profiles and the award’s specifications.

Please take a moment to review the fellowships that are available. Should there be an award that fits with your goals and/or profile, please send me an e-mail with a brief explanation of why you think you are fit with that specific award and I will pass it along to the appropriate committee.

Self-nominations are due by 5:00 p.m. CST this Friday, January 9th.

Once we receive the self-nominations, the external committees will evaluate all applicants and will connect with them for any necessary steps to move forward.

In terms of meeting with career services, etc, we can work on setting something up for you. If you are available to visit campus, we can create a custom schedule for you that fits your needs. If that is not possible, we can work on setting up a phone meeting for you. Please let me know your preference!

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 354

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Location: Texas
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 16:07
wow jlola21, dint know abt ur scholarship. congrats!
_________________

Traffic never sleeps...

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2009, 21:06
Do you have any chicago ppts on the vault ??

I am going nuts !! some one pls help :shock: :cry:

Any help .. i promise to give kudo to every post of yours on this forum :lol:

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 197

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2009, 09:02
I submitted Booth last night.

Congrats to those that made it in Rd1...it's my top choice.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 356

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2009, 09:10
jlola21 wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:
That's my understanding. I still need to do a bit more research to determine what sort of actions are required on my end. Did you finally decide to attend Booth?


I did! Are you going to admit weekend?

Yes, I will be there. My parents are flying into town in March, so I need to make sure it doesn't conflict with Admit Weekend. If so, I will be attending the April session.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2009, 09:36
bscracker wrote:
Do you have any chicago ppts on the vault ??

I am going nuts !! some one pls help :shock: :cry:

Any help .. i promise to give kudo to every post of yours on this forum :lol:


Aww... I know it's a beast. I think most people feel that they shouldn't share their presentations, but it's only for your own benefit. I know you've heard it a hundred times, but this is your chance to communicate something about yourself that doesn't come out in the rest of the application.

I'm sure there are lots of creative people out there for whom this was a chance to really shine. I am not one of those, so I didn't put a lot of effort into making a splash. I just tried to communicate four "motivations" that guide my life. It was simple--white background, not much flair (ok, none), a couple of pictures to support my statements. For me, I think it was appropriate. But if you are a more creative person, I wouldn't want you to see it and think "this is what they're looking for." You would be unnecessarily constricted.

So here are some key thoughts I tried to keep in mind (gathered mostly from people on this board):
-Make yourself memorable. There are several thousand applicants and lots of them have similar backgrounds as you, at least on paper. Help the AdCom remember you.
-Give them new material. Don't just repeat what they already can see elsewhere in your app.
-Review it from the perspective of someone who doesn't know you. You might know what you are trying to communicate, but do they? I know time is short, but have someone else look at it and get their impressions. Do they learn something about you?
-Take every opportunity to show how you are a good fit for Chicago.

You'll do fine! Be confident!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 217

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2009, 09:47
wedbud wrote:
bscracker wrote:
Do you have any chicago ppts on the vault ??

I am going nuts !! some one pls help :shock: :cry:

Any help .. i promise to give kudo to every post of yours on this forum :lol:


Aww... I know it's a beast. I think most people feel that they shouldn't share their presentations, but it's only for your own benefit. I know you've heard it a hundred times, but this is your chance to communicate something about yourself that doesn't come out in the rest of the application.

I'm sure there are lots of creative people out there for whom this was a chance to really shine. I am not one of those, so I didn't put a lot of effort into making a splash. I just tried to communicate four "motivations" that guide my life. It was simple--white background, not much flair (ok, none), a couple of pictures to support my statements. For me, I think it was appropriate. But if you are a more creative person, I wouldn't want you to see it and think "this is what they're looking for." You would be unnecessarily constricted.

So here are some key thoughts I tried to keep in mind (gathered mostly from people on this board):
-Make yourself memorable. There are several thousand applicants and lots of them have similar backgrounds as you, at least on paper. Help the AdCom remember you.
-Give them new material. Don't just repeat what they already can see elsewhere in your app.
-Review it from the perspective of someone who doesn't know you. You might know what you are trying to communicate, but do they? I know time is short, but have someone else look at it and get their impressions. Do they learn something about you?
-Take every opportunity to show how you are a good fit for Chicago.

You'll do fine! Be confident!


Couldn't agree more. +1.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2009, 10:37
All the very Best to R2 applicants....

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 299

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2009, 20:18
Just submitted for Round 2.

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Posts: 28

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2009, 21:03
just submitted for r2 as well. it's so liberating!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 356

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2009, 21:16
According to the email I received today from the admissions representative, a person cannot have both a merit-based scholarship and a Booth Fellowship. If selected for a fellowship, according to the email, the award of lesser value would be forfeited.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2009, 21:16

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  68   69   70   71   72   73   74  ...  95    Next  [ 1889 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.