Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Concentration: Economics, Finance, Farm and Ranch Management
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]
Thanks wedbud.
wedbud wrote:
Yep. I don't know what happened to the expanded resume this year, but I guess it was too much information. To the best of my understanding you should keep it to one page.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Currently finishing up my R2 essays. I know this has probably already been beaten to death here but I would be curious what some people's thoughts are on the differences between Kellogg and Booth. For me it seems the big one is Kellogg's reputation for Marketing and Booth's reputation for Finance (neither of which really concern me) but I'd be curious what some of the R1'ers who already went through this issue came up with. Out-of-class activities, especially social ones would be good to know, heck even useful links (no need for filler prose on official school websites). PM me if you'd like.

Thanks from an int'l who unfortunately can't make it to Chicago pre-application deadline.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
bostonsparky wrote:
Currently finishing up my R2 essays. I know this has probably already been beaten to death here but I would be curious what some people's thoughts are on the differences between Kellogg and Booth. For me it seems the big one is Kellogg's reputation for Marketing and Booth's reputation for Finance (neither of which really concern me) but I'd be curious what some of the R1'ers who already went through this issue came up with. Out-of-class activities, especially social ones would be good to know, heck even useful links (no need for filler prose on official school websites). PM me if you'd like.

Thanks from an int'l who unfortunately can't make it to Chicago pre-application deadline.

Aside from the obvious academic strengths of each school, visiting both really helps you understand the culture. I can see myself at both schools - felt comfortable at both and liked both, but in different ways. Kellogg's focus was on teamwork, helping colleagues, etc. and Chicago was more focused on courses and faculty. I think both schools have a great group work environment though, I wouldn't say that is a negative of Chicago - they just haven't made it a part of their brand or the main focus of their culture. Students were very friendly and outgoing at both schools - and I'm not totally sold on the pocket protector theory, I myself don't own one and don't plan to and will probably end up at Booth ;-).

Edit: Kellogg also has more of a focus on experiential learning which I find appealing about the school.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
What's the pocket protector Theory? :?:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q50  V38
Send PM
I agree with jlola about teamwork aspect. You will be on teams at booth, a lot of them. You probably will have a team project for every class......but it won't be every project that you do. I am all about the balance. The pocket protector theory, well you are going to have that at any top school. Most people I have seen and talked to, admits, current students are just cool fun people. Yes I have met some "pocket protectors" but I want to be in a diverse class, and that lends to the diversity.

And as for those reputations....chicago has an outstanding marketing program. Their professors are tops in their field. They have a great analytical marketing program which I think is very beneficial since that is the where marketing is heading.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
This thread made my day:
https://forums.businessweek.com/bw-bscho ... ?msg=78595

So funny...
Current Student
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
kwam wrote:

Great find kwam!! Great thread to read before going on holidays :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I came here to post that too.... too funny.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V41
Send PM
This is a question about the optional essay. I read a few posts earlier about using this for describing international exp. etc. Here is an excerpt from a chat transcript with the adcom. R1ers who got admitted, pls. shed light.

Andrea: We don't have a set word count for the optional essay. Keep in mind, though, that this is an opportunity to describe any anomalies that cannot be addressed elsewhere in the application and not an opportunity to submit another lengthy essay. Use what you need to tell us what is relevant, but be judicious.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q50  V38
Send PM
poochandi wrote:
This is a question about the optional essay. I read a few posts earlier about using this for describing international exp. etc. Here is an excerpt from a chat transcript with the adcom. R1ers who got admitted, pls. shed light.

Andrea: We don't have a set word count for the optional essay. Keep in mind, though, that this is an opportunity to describe any anomalies that cannot be addressed elsewhere in the application and not an opportunity to submit another lengthy essay. Use what you need to tell us what is relevant, but be judicious.

Mine was about 2 sentences long.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
poochandi wrote:

mine was about 2 paragraphs long :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi rhyme,

I want to apply to Chicago for R2. I am interested in the area of microfinance. I tried looking up on Chicago's website for information regarding Chicago's involvement in microfinance. But i couldnt find much. I feel you might be able to help me in this aspect.

I live in california and i am not planning to visit chicago anytime soon. Is it possible for me to talk to you on phone. Please let me know.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
vevrp wrote:
Hi rhyme,

I want to apply to Chicago for R2. I am interested in the area of microfinance. I tried looking up on Chicago's website for information regarding Chicago's involvement in microfinance. But i couldnt find much. I feel you might be able to help me in this aspect.

I live in california and i am not planning to visit chicago anytime soon. Is it possible for me to talk to you on phone. Please let me know.

Thanks.

As for the microfinance specifics, I really dont know much (if anything) about resources particular to that area .. so I dont think i can shed much light there (there are no courses specifically tailored towards microfinance - id say the best method of breaking in is to network and talk to professors with experience in the field etc).... that said if you want to chat, I'm happy to, just drop me a PM. Keep in mind I'm going to be traveling for the next two weeks though so it might be tough to find a time before mid jan.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
poochandi wrote:

There was something similar two years ago. IT wasn't quite optional but it read something like "Have you had any international travel experiences? Have they impacted your language skills or views in any way?" It was supposed to be short answer, no word limit, but I sent in over 1000 words anyway. I think if you have something of consequence to say then say it. As Andrea says "be judicious".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
hi everyone--
this is a question about the powerpoint question.

i have a very "standard" setup of four pages - one overview page, one page on my personal development, one on academic and one on professional development/future aspirations.

the problem is my ppt looks very much like an investment banking pitchbook. no pictures, lots of bullet points and sub bullet points (with some graphics to make the layout semi-interesting, like different columns, timeline arrows, etc).

some may say boring, but personally i much rather have a page that anyone can pick up and understand my story than something that is aesthetically pleasing. i just feel like pictures i have arent interesting enough and bullet points would be more efficient use of the limited space we have.

would this be considered too essay like (not creative enough) for the purpose of powerpoint? i felt like i did not have enough room in the actual application/essay 1,2 to tell my story, so i wanted to cover as much ground as possible in the powerpoint..but reading through the thread, im wondering if im trying to do too much. any thoughts/opinions?

thanks in advance!
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
ac8706 wrote:
terp26 wrote:
poochandi wrote:

mine was about 2 paragraphs long :)

Mine was 3 paragraphs :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
js594 wrote:
hi everyone--
this is a question about the powerpoint question.

i have a very "standard" setup of four pages - one overview page, one page on my personal development, one on academic and one on professional development/future aspirations.

the problem is my ppt looks very much like an investment banking pitchbook. no pictures, lots of bullet points and sub bullet points (with some graphics to make the layout semi-interesting, like different columns, timeline arrows, etc).

some may say boring, but personally i much rather have a page that anyone can pick up and understand my story than something that is aesthetically pleasing. i just feel like pictures i have arent interesting enough and bullet points would be more efficient use of the limited space we have.

would this be considered too essay like (not creative enough) for the purpose of powerpoint? i felt like i did not have enough room in the actual application/essay 1,2 to tell my story, so i wanted to cover as much ground as possible in the powerpoint..but reading through the thread, im wondering if im trying to do too much. any thoughts/opinions?

thanks in advance!

Hmm I used a lot of photos....at least two on each slide...and had a similar format to yours. For me, that'd be too much text. I'd be interested in hearing about what others did for their powerpoint though.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  66   67   68   69   70   71   72  ...  95