Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]
I am happy with the quality of my second essay, but not its quantity. Is a 650 word essay a problem when 1000 words is allowed?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Futureman wrote:
I am happy with the quality of my second essay, but not its quantity. Is a 650 word essay a problem when 1000 words is allowed?

I think it is a problem. In a competitive year, if adcom notices your essay is significantly shorter, then they may attribute that to a lack of caring on your part, which could send your app straight to the ding pile. I would try to get at least 900 words in.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
msday wrote:
Futureman wrote:

I think it is a problem. In a competitive year, if adcom notices your essay is significantly shorter, then they may attribute that to a lack of caring on your part, which could send your app straight to the ding pile. I would try to get at least 900 words in.

That's what I thought. I wish I could swap the word limits between essay 1 and 2. Thank you for replying. :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Futureman wrote:
msday wrote:
Futureman wrote:

That's what I thought. I wish I could swap the word limits between essay 1 and 2. Thank you for replying. :-D

It helped me to begin by writing without thinking about the word limit. Inevitably you wind up with essays that are significantly longer than the limits. Then it's a matter of eliminating the fluff. It's much easier to reduce a long essay than to extend a short one.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for all the info guys! That does help structure thoughts around content.
Those who are harping the 'original' story - I don't think this essay is any different from all the others - eventually there will be a type and style that the school likes. I was just trying to gauge that. I am sure there was similar hype about 'why MBA' question when it was first asked back in the day.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Hi - I was dinged. I have updated the first page. Now, I really have to figure out if I want to go all out for R2. I just wish I could get feedback for Chicago before proceeding because I thought it was a decent app...maybe I was wrong.
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
gt7er wrote:
agold wrote:
I did an abstract PowerPoint which got me rejected. I used a hobby of mine, spent the 4 slides speaking about 4 different values that it has instilled in me, and related the values to success in life and business.

A very typical format which many people use (and many accepted students especially have used over the past couple of years) is something of the following: 1 slide on family and friends, 1 slide on hobbies and interests, 1 slide on something else (unique personal traits or values, perhaps), and 1 last slide on future aspirations and how Booth ties in. Cliche and I'm sure they see hundreds of people use a format similar to this - but it works and gets people admitted.

agold, i tried a similar approach with the powerpoint and focused on a specific thing and how i learned from it. obviously this didnt work for me. i really think going the traditional route will help -- family, hobbies, interests, why booth etc...

My powerpoint was abstract in nature. It was more on the artistic side but I used it to convey a strong message. I think as long as you portray yourself in the right manner, and the message is to the point and effective you should be okay. The traditional route is a safe one, but if you want to risk it to possibly make a bigger impact on the reader, I think people should go for it.

In my essay I showed my hobby, and used it to visually describe my personality and reasons why I want my MBA now, outside of my professional and academic reasons described in essays 1 and 2.
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Also if you do choose to try an artsy fartsy route, make sure you have artists critique it and the average joe critique it to ensure your presentation is understandable to those on both sides of the spectrum ;).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Sorry to hear that Mbagal. Good luck with other apps.

mbagal2011 wrote:
Hi - I was dinged. I have updated the first page. Now, I really have to figure out if I want to go all out for R2. I just wish I could get feedback for Chicago before proceeding because I thought it was a decent app...maybe I was wrong.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
How in the world did you pull your avatar off Irishfan?

Notre Damn logo with Booth logo combined? Me wanna learn :-D

Attachment:
45062.jpg
45062.jpg [ 13.39 KiB | Viewed 2025 times ]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
Also if you do choose to try an artsy fartsy route, make sure you have artists critique it and the average joe critique it to ensure your presentation is understandable to those on both sides of the spectrum ;).

The "have others read it" is a good point. Mine ended up being a photo collage describing my ECs, my goals, my background. The first two versions, however, made no sense to anyone - even those who knew me and had read my essays :? Feedback was really helpful during the editing process :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
woohoo got the Booth admit package today! Nice USB drive with the booth wallpaper image pre-loaded :)
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Hello Friends

I am new to GMAT-Club, and am started to get a feel of it....I am applying to Chicago Booth in R2...
Can somebody please share some insights on Presentation....I have created a draft of it, but it is becoming too wordy...any idea whether it is to be taken purely from a "Presentation" standpoint, or as a 4 pager which somebody is going to read...

Thanks a ton!!!!

Pursuit---
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
hey pursuit,

Welcome to gmatclub. There is no right or wrong way of preparing the ppt. IMO, the adcom is probably expecting a presentation as opposed to an additional 4 pages to read. I am making my ppt using visual aids. Basically a quick overview abt who I am, wht I wanna do and why chicago.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Thanks for the reply Traffix....

I agree with your thoughts, and that's how I started...but when i was putting it together, it was getting diffcult to answer the basic question "Presentation that captures who you are"....so I am taking a little different approach to reflecting who i am...'

if i want to reflect a quality....will just giving an example suffice it??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
I cannot find it now, but there is one excellent post (from a current Booth's student) in this thread. Look guys into earlier pages...

The most important thing I got from it was to translate "me" and "my experiences" into "Booth's experience". In other words: so what that you speak 15 languages... The important thing is that because you can speak 15 languages you'll set up multilingual club at Booth and you will start translating Booth's news into as many national languages as possible.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
pursuittowardsmba wrote:
Thanks for the reply Traffix....

I agree with your thoughts, and that's how I started...but when i was putting it together, it was getting diffcult to answer the basic question "Presentation that captures who you are"....so I am taking a little different approach to reflecting who i am...'

if i want to reflect a quality....will just giving an example suffice it??

ya, u have 4 pages, u can always play with the content to present your best face. You know your situation the best. But, I will advise you to ask someone to critique your ppt after u have prepared it. When you were preparing a slide, u might have had something else in mind which might not necessarily be relayed to an outsider. Its always good to get a second opinion.

Best,
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  64   65   66   67   68   69   70  ...  95