It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 38

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Schools: Cornell 2011
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 19:16
mbagal2011 wrote:
Hi - I was dinged. I have updated the first page. Now, I really have to figure out if I want to go all out for R2. I just wish I could get feedback for Chicago before proceeding because I thought it was a decent app...maybe I was wrong.

I was dinged as well. Does Chicago provide feedback?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 850

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 19:17
bucktooth911 wrote:
mbagal2011 wrote:
Hi - I was dinged. I have updated the first page. Now, I really have to figure out if I want to go all out for R2. I just wish I could get feedback for Chicago before proceeding because I thought it was a decent app...maybe I was wrong.

I was dinged as well. Does Chicago provide feedback?


Sorry to hear. Not they do not. It's explicitly stated on the Chicago Booth forums that they do not provide feedback.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 356

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 20:14
sonibubu wrote:
woohoo got the Booth admit package today! Nice USB drive with the booth wallpaper image pre-loaded :)

Got mine today too! Flipping through the course catalog was making me extremely excited to get started!

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 28

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: Kellogg (accepted), Chicago Booth (*ATTENDING* full tuition fellowship +20k stipend), HBS (ding), Stanford (WL), Michigan (Accepted w/full scholarship)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 20:24
Oh man! I'm already gone on vacation. A new background image would have made the holidays just that much more maroon...

Oh well. So this is my first post on this thread(been posting at BW forums)

Got ADMITTED on wednesday with (almost) full scholarship. Keeping fingers crossed for one of the coveted fellowships (I'm a starving artist and could use ALL the help I can get!)

--jcl246

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Joined: 31 Dec 1969

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 10:45
What was the consensus on the car thing? I forget if this has been discussed before.

So if I attend, I definitely won't be living in hyde park - and I'm trying to figure out if I will need a car. Although I really do not want to give up my car :(. What's chicago like transportation wise? I took the train while I was there but that was about it.

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Joined: 31 Dec 1969

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 10:46
jcl246 wrote:
Oh man! I'm already gone on vacation. A new background image would have made the holidays just that much more maroon...

Oh well. So this is my first post on this thread(been posting at BW forums)

Got ADMITTED on wednesday with (almost) full scholarship. Keeping fingers crossed for one of the coveted fellowships (I'm a starving artist and could use ALL the help I can get!)

--jcl246


oh my goodness - congrats! almost full scholarship? you rock!

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1632

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 10:59
jlola21 wrote:
What was the consensus on the car thing? I forget if this has been discussed before.

So if I attend, I definitely won't be living in hyde park - and I'm trying to figure out if I will need a car. Although I really do not want to give up my car :(. What's chicago like transportation wise? I took the train while I was there but that was about it.


If you live in the Millenium Park/Downtown area, you can take the Metra train down to Booth in ~20 minutes and it is very convenient. For going out, you would likely take the CTA Blue, Brown, or Red lines up to the North Side, or take cabs. Grocery shopping is the only thing that is kind of a pain, but if you live near the CTA Red/Brown Line and do not have to walk too far, it shouldn't be that bad at all. Even if you choose to live in the new high rises at Lake Shore East, I think they're building a new grocery store there in the coming months.

If you choose to live in Lincoln Park/Lakeview/other North Side neighborhoods, it will be far easier to get to Booth by car than it would be by train (you'd have to take a bunch of connecting trains). These neighborhoods are far more active socially than the Loop, but you will pay the price in commute time down to Booth. You can always go party, shop, or go out in these neighborhoods, but not necessarily live in them. The Loop is similar to the Financial District in New York, where these neighborhoods would be more like Greenwich Village or Murray Hill.

Bottom line: A car is a bit helpful, but nowhere near essential. Parking in downtown runs approximately $250-300/month. Add in car insurance and gas, and I could certainly find better things to do w/ that money and deal with a slight inconvenience by taking the train for grocery shopping.

If I went to Booth personally, I would live west of Michigan in the Loop. There are several nice buildings around State/Monroe, State/Randolph, Wabash/Randolph, etc. A lot of Booth students live in the MDA City apartments (http://www.mdacityapartments.com/) which are very convenient (easy access to both the CTA Brown Line for Northside access and the Metra for Booth/Hyde Park access).
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

Joined: 31 Dec 1969

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 11:08
agold wrote:
jlola21 wrote:
What was the consensus on the car thing? I forget if this has been discussed before.

So if I attend, I definitely won't be living in hyde park - and I'm trying to figure out if I will need a car. Although I really do not want to give up my car :(. What's chicago like transportation wise? I took the train while I was there but that was about it.


If you live in the Millenium Park/Downtown area, you can take the Metra train down to Booth in ~20 minutes and it is very convenient. For going out, you would likely take the CTA Blue, Brown, or Red lines up to the North Side, or take cabs. Grocery shopping is the only thing that is kind of a pain, but if you live near the CTA Red/Brown Line and do not have to walk too far, it shouldn't be that bad at all. Even if you choose to live in the new high rises at Lake Shore East, I think they're building a new grocery store there in the coming months.

If you choose to live in Lincoln Park/Lakeview/other North Side neighborhoods, it will be far easier to get to Booth by car than it would be by train (you'd have to take a bunch of connecting trains). These neighborhoods are far more active socially than the Loop, but you will pay the price in commute time down to Booth. You can always go party, shop, or go out in these neighborhoods, but not necessarily live in them. The Loop is similar to the Financial District in New York, where these neighborhoods would be more like Greenwich Village or Murray Hill.

Bottom line: A car is a bit helpful, but nowhere near essential. Parking in downtown runs approximately $250-300/month. Add in car insurance and gas, and I could certainly find better things to do w/ that money and deal with a slight inconvenience by taking the train for grocery shopping.

If I went to Booth personally, I would live west of Michigan in the Loop. There are several nice buildings around State/Monroe, State/Randolph, Wabash/Randolph, etc. A lot of Booth students live in the MDA City apartments (http://www.mdacityapartments.com/) which are very convenient (easy access to both the CTA Brown Line for Northside access and the Metra for Booth/Hyde Park access).


Thanks for the advice!

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 354

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Location: Texas
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 15:18
How did u guys tackle the "how do you think an MBA from Chicago GSB might have aided in your decision making process" of the essay?
I have few ideas, but would wanna know from the R1 folks as to what they did!
_________________

Traffic never sleeps...

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Schools: Kellogg '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 16:39
traffix wrote:
How did u guys tackle the "how do you think an MBA from Chicago GSB might have aided in your decision making process" of the essay?
I have few ideas, but would wanna know from the R1 folks as to what they did!


I identifed skills, knowledge that would have helped me. Then described how I would have acquired all that at GSB - mentioned specific courses, clubs, etc.

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 31

Joined: 31 Dec 1969

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 17:06
ac8706 wrote:
traffix wrote:
How did u guys tackle the "how do you think an MBA from Chicago GSB might have aided in your decision making process" of the essay?
I have few ideas, but would wanna know from the R1 folks as to what they did!


I identifed skills, knowledge that would have helped me. Then described how I would have acquired all that at GSB - mentioned specific courses, clubs, etc.


Yep I did the same

Kudos [?]: [0], given:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 354

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Location: Texas
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 17:07
thanks jlola21 and ac8706. U gals are the best!
_________________

Traffic never sleeps...

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 299

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 17:24
I'm actually working on that question too. I think the "misperceived motives" part is the most difficult...still trying to figure it out.

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 523

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 17:57
maverick2011 wrote:
I'm actually working on that question too. I think the "misperceived motives" part is the most difficult...still trying to figure it out.


maverick i really admire that you are working on R2 apps after getting an M7 admit in R1. way to stay dedicated and keep your eyes on the proverbial prize!

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 19:17
jlola21 wrote:
What was the consensus on the car thing? I forget if this has been discussed before.

So if I attend, I definitely won't be living in hyde park - and I'm trying to figure out if I will need a car. Although I really do not want to give up my car :(. What's chicago like transportation wise? I took the train while I was there but that was about it.


agold covered this pretty well, but let me throw this out there for people. (BTW, agold, your profile says SoCal, but you seem to have a pretty good grasp of Chicago.) Anyway, from what I've heard, GSBers tend to live in Hyde Park, the Loop, or on the Northside. If anyone is looking outside of those areas, I'd suggest you consider the Bridgeport neighborhood. My wife and I rent a nice two-bedroom apartment for under $700/month, with ample street parking. It would be very easy to keep a car in this area. No special parking permits (other than a city sticker-$75 or so) and crime is relatively low. Getting to U of C from here is also quick. The Dan Ryan expressway was recently rebuilt, so it's a really quick ride to 55th St. I would say 10-12 minutes is not unreasonable. Parking once you get there...well, that's probably harder, but doable. Depending on where in Bridgeport one was, they might be close to the Red line as well. Not as direct as Metra, but it'll get you there eventually.

This bitterly cold snap is making me really appreciate having a car. I guess if you're downtown and close to a grocery store, you can probably get along without one though.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 850

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 19:18
maverick2011 wrote:
I'm actually working on that question too. I think the "misperceived motives" part is the most difficult...still trying to figure it out.


Would you lean towards booth or K if accepted to both?

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 1

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2008
Posts: 299

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 19:51
msday wrote:
maverick2011 wrote:
I'm actually working on that question too. I think the "misperceived motives" part is the most difficult...still trying to figure it out.


maverick i really admire that you are working on R2 apps after getting an M7 admit in R1. way to stay dedicated and keep your eyes on the proverbial prize!


Haha, yeah it's not easy! Chicago was supposed to be one of my R1 applications, but I ran out of time. It was initially my top school so I feel obligated to apply. I've also decided to apply to HBS since I have nothing to lose at this point.

Sonibubu, if I get into Chicago I really don't know which school I would pick. There are advantages to each...right now I'm 50/50, so maybe money would be a factor. :-D

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Posts: 19

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2008, 20:46
I was wondering how everyone did the slide presentation. For everyone who has completed the question or thought about it please answer

Did you use Microsoft powerpoint or did it in pdf format? (I guess making it as a pdf offers more space )

Also can you guys please say if you used any software or tools to make some fancy slides ?

Coming to the content...
Did you pack the slides with a lot of information or just a quote or a comment and a picture ?
It would be great if you can tell how many words you have on average on each slide. I have a weird idea but I dont want my slides to be shown in the GSB live next year as what not to do with the slide presentation :-D
(I have seen the sample presentation that adcom shows in the GSB live events .. and that guy george had done something like 3 lines per page and a cartoon on each page if I am not wrong.)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Posts: 283

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 3

Location: Milan
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2008, 02:59
maverick2011 wrote:
msday wrote:
maverick2011 wrote:
I'm actually working on that question too. I think the "misperceived motives" part is the most difficult...still trying to figure it out.


maverick i really admire that you are working on R2 apps after getting an M7 admit in R1. way to stay dedicated and keep your eyes on the proverbial prize!


Haha, yeah it's not easy! Chicago was supposed to be one of my R1 applications, but I ran out of time. It was initially my top school so I feel obligated to apply. I've also decided to apply to HBS since I have nothing to lose at this point.

Sonibubu, if I get into Chicago I really don't know which school I would pick. There are advantages to each...right now I'm 50/50, so maybe money would be a factor. :-D


Exact same situation here. It's really hard applying to Booth since Kellogg is a great place to be, yet I owe it to myself to apply.

It's really strange how many people this year are appying/deciding between two schools so different.

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [1], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2008, 08:12
1
This post received
KUDOS
traffix wrote:
How did u guys tackle the "how do you think an MBA from Chicago GSB might have aided in your decision making process" of the essay?
I have few ideas, but would wanna know from the R1 folks as to what they did!


In the simplest form, I used the following formula to draft the essay.

You (a) + Booth (b) = Something Totally Transformational (w. outcome only possible by entering Booth)


(a) – You are not a commodity (even though there might be another applicant from similar background). You need to make yourself standout while making connections to the current Booth culture. Think of yourself a new IPO. Discuss your potential, past experience, and strengths. Since a second year student also read your application, you need to write your essay in a way a second year can relate to (when 2nd yr was in your shoes 2 years ago before applying to Booth).
(b) – Booth is all about diversity, whether its gender, race, career background etc. This is most important. Don’t try to compare yourself to a fellow applicant with investment bank or consulting background. Instead, compare yourself to future “you”. If you need to figure out what benefits Booth can bring – just imagine yourself 10 years in the future and ask yourself, “I remember 10 years ago, I was this kind of person (both as individual and professional). I am glad I went to Booth because thanks to Booth MBA, I was able to attain….”

Show your engagement with community and your surroundings. Express your commitment to make impact on others and how you can improve yourself and others at the same time. (Win-win situation)
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [1], given: 548

Re: Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2008, 08:12

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  65   66   67   68   69   70   71  ...  95    Next  [ 1889 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling Chicago (Booth) Applicants for 2009

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.