Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]
JB thanks for the tip..

well see the problem with putting pictures is i dont know if adcom is just going to print them in black and white or are they actually going to use projector..though I am not planning on using animation at all...

as for in a 4 minute interview answering questions IS VERY different from making a slide presentation about yourself...

so the question is should i risk putting pictures not knowing if the adcom will be using color printers or not? or are they going to user projectors???
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
They used color printers last year. You are not allowed to use animation (they only look at static printed stuff) so that was never an option. Most admitted people I know put pictures on their ppts (and I've seen a few). I didn't put a single picture on mine. I also got dinged after an interview.

Hope this helps.

fresinha12 wrote:
JB thanks for the tip..

well see the problem with putting pictures is i dont know if adcom is just going to print them in black and white or are they actually going to use projector..though I am not planning on using animation at all...

as for in a 4 minute interview answering questions IS VERY different from making a slide presentation about yourself...

so the question is should i risk putting pictures not knowing if the adcom will be using color printers or not? or are they going to user projectors???
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
see you guys missed the point, not everything in business, as in life, can be explained in 30 sec or less

I never said everything could.... I wouldn't expect someone to explain quantum mechanics in a few slides..... but if someone handed me a slide that said: "Fix the side panels or they will peel off and the shuttle will explode on re-entry" and next to that is a picture of a burning shuttle and people crying, I'd probably pay attention. More so than if I got some document with a title like "A Non-Linear Probability Model for Verifying Deterministic Forecasts of Shuttle Re-entry Events".

Quote:
as for MC, any complicated case study I have done over the past 2 years the final product is almost entirely a whitepaper. While you can make very high-level assessment using powerpoint, in order to explain something, or convey the gravity of a problem, you use whitepapers. Believe it or not, whitepapers are part of my KPI, they account for 50% of annual rating.

Interesting. I've never run into a firm that delivers whitepapers to clients as their primary deliverable. You learn something new every day I guess. A lot of the firms I know generate the stuff simply for the purposes of future selling ("Hey check out this whitepaper / though leadership we have on the subject"). Is your firm primarily focused in research? 50% and a KPI seems awfully high!
Current Student
Send PM
ryhme, the thing about MC is that as you progress in your career you have to develop a SME and whitepapers are your means of telling to the world that you are an expert in a specific area. Every year I undertak 4-5 major projects and I am supposed to write upto 4 whitepapers.

Whitepapers do serve as a selling tool, however, for example in my area of expertise (corp. strategy and business development), I conduct workshops, so while during the course of an assignment I will use powerpoints, however the end result of my assignment, usually a Workshop strategy readout document, is in the form of a whitepaper. If the lessons learned have a wider impact on the industry, I will author a "public facing" whitepaper.

I dont think a first year associate will author any whitepapers, but as you progress, whitepapers become a major component of your rating..

rhyme wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:
see you guys missed the point, not everything in business, as in life, can be explained in 30 sec or less

I never said everything could.... I wouldn't expect someone to explain quantum mechanics in a few slides..... but if someone handed me a slide that said: "Fix the side panels or they will peel off and the shuttle will explode on re-entry" and next to that is a picture of a burning shuttle and people crying, I'd probably pay attention. More so than if I got some document with a title like "A Non-Linear Probability Model for Verifying Deterministic Forecasts of Shuttle Re-entry Events".

Quote:
as for MC, any complicated case study I have done over the past 2 years the final product is almost entirely a whitepaper. While you can make very high-level assessment using powerpoint, in order to explain something, or convey the gravity of a problem, you use whitepapers. Believe it or not, whitepapers are part of my KPI, they account for 50% of annual rating.

Interesting. I've never run into a firm that delivers whitepapers to clients as their primary deliverable. You learn something new every day I guess. A lot of the firms I know generate the stuff simply for the purposes of future selling ("Hey check out this whitepaper / though leadership we have on the subject"). Is your firm primarily focused in research? 50% and a KPI seems awfully high!
Current Student
Send PM
ryhme, the thing about MC is that as you progress in your career you have to develop a SME and whitepapers are your means of telling to the world that you are an expert in a specific area. Every year I undertak 4-5 major projects and I am supposed to write upto 4 whitepapers.

Whitepapers do serve as a selling tool, however, for example in my area of expertise (corp. strategy and business development), I conduct workshops, so while during the course of an assignment I will use powerpoints, however the end result of my assignment, usually a Workshop strategy readout document, is in the form of a whitepaper. If the lessons learned have a wider impact on the industry, I will author a "public facing" whitepaper.

I dont think a first year associate will author any whitepapers, but as you progress, whitepapers become a major component of your rating..

rhyme wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

Quote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I have couple of questions regarding the slide presentation: if I include photos I downloaded from the internet, do I need to worry about copyright issues? Should I put in a reference?

Also, whats up with the 2nd essay topic? I have completed and submitted Wharton and Harvard application, so I thought I was doing well, but after seeing the 2nd essay question on the Chicago GSB I feel stumped.....almost feel like not writing it....but of course I will. I guess I am just bitching because I need a pick me up....hopefully there are other strengths in my application to make up for the 2nd essay question.....I mean how many environmental engineers/environmental project managers are applying anyway?!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I had the same sentiment on essay 2 -- I thought it was not a great question. At first I was stumped, but I talked to some co-workers and friends about it and they helped me focus in on a topic I had actually not thought about, but that worked well. That being said, I still believe Essay 2 for GSB is my weakest out of any school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I think most applicants are having a hard time w/ GSB's #2. I feel like they already threw the curve ball with the powerpoint, so what's with the double-whammy of making #2 the 1,000 word essay? After completing the Wharton app, Chicago has depressed me to the point where I have contemplated not applying in R1. If I didn't believe that Chicago was such a great school, then I probably wouldn't put myself through the pain of doing their application (and maybe that's the intent?)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I thought #2 would be far easier than it actually was. I ended up choosing the option about going against popular opinion and chose a non-work example...and spent forever writing it. As a result, while I'm done w/ the essays for Chicago, I'm behind on the other essays. Oye!
Current Student
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
It's just Chicago being Chicago and following their motto "Challenge Everything." They want to see how you challenge convention or what you do when your beliefs are challenged. Show how you analyzed the situation and made your decision. They're looking for analytical people.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
I just received an email from Admissions today to notify me that my application is now complete and under review. Let the games begin!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
I have all of my ideas and outlines together and just need to execute this weekend. Really last minute for me but hopefully it should work out.
Director
Director
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I'm submitting tomorrow after I get paid, so I can afford the $200 application fee.

You think I'm joking....but I'm not. :|
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
I'm submitting tomorrow after I get paid, so I can afford the $200 application fee.

:(
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Send PM
jb32 wrote:

Don't worry, I'm on a one-year same as cash plan for my application fee.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
I went to an admissions event this week. Overall, nothing new. Talked to Joanna (associate director, admissions) about essay 2 and she said what most of us know - that fit with Chicago is really important and they are looking for applicants who can actually turn this essay to their advantage and articulate how Chicago GSB is the right school for them. I went to a small town event with about 15 prospective students, so got a chance to have longer conversations than other events with 200+ people.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
hsampath wrote:
I went to an admissions event this week. Overall, nothing new. Talked to Joanna (associate director, admissions) about essay 2 and she said what most of us know - that fit with Chicago is really important and they are looking for applicants who can actually turn this essay to their advantage and articulate how Chicago GSB is the right school for them. I went to a small town event with about 15 prospective students, so got a chance to have longer conversations than other events with 200+ people.

Thank you for the feedback! Kudos
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  95