Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB Applicants for 2009 [#permalink]
terp26 wrote:
got a topic, but may have to rethink it or figure out a way to flesh it out to a 1000 words.

Roughly how much of the essay are you planning on spending on how an MBA would have helped piece? My draft is shaping up to about 50% story, 50% why MBA and it doesn't seem quite right...

cheers,
ac.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Roughly 30-40% and it comes at the end as of now. I may mix things up and work the paragraphs differently, but it was much easier to write and cover each aspect of the question this way. Of course it is also not tremendously exciting this way either, which is why I may shift it around a bit and it might turn out to be a better essay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Has anyone thought about how to approach the slide presentation?

I'm not sure if I should just make a list of accomplishments.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
mashi wrote:
Has anyone thought about how to approach the slide presentation?

I'm not sure if I should just make a list of accomplishments.

I've finished mine and it's not a list of accomplishments. It needs to be much more creative than that. Think about things that anyone can do in an hour and cross those ideas of your list. I would first think about a creative theme to tie the slides together and then think about how to fill the slides.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
So, I was at the MBA World Tour last night and was fortunate enough to hear the Chicago presentation. Looks like this year's class will have an average GMAT score of 717! Yowsers!

Not a huge jump, but impressive nonetheless.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I can't wait to see the day when average GMAT @ m7 reaches 790
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
So, I was at the MBA World Tour last night and was fortunate enough to hear the Chicago presentation. Looks like this year's class will have an average GMAT score of 717! Yowsers!

Ouch.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
jb32 wrote:

Ouch.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
clubgmat25 wrote:
I can't wait to see the day when average GMAT @ m7 reaches 790

Average GMAT at Stanford will be 796, while everyone else struggles around 785 or so.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
So, I've been struggling with essay 2 for the last couple of days, and I came across something on the accepted blog which might seem helpful. I'm sure some people had already thought about this, but I certainly wasn't thinking about essay 2a this way.

https://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_bl ... -tips.html
Option 1 starts as the flip-side of a classic ethical dilemma question. The B and C elements of that question are where Chicago adds its own unique twist. Make sure you answer all parts of the questions.

What do you guys think about this? Can 2a be used as an ethical dilemma questions where you talk about both sides of the dilemma and how you came to a decision. What were the repurcussions of the decision etc.?

If so, any current GSB students or applicants care to venture any ideas about how an MBA from Chicago would have helped address the ethical dilemma and the decision making process.

I feel I have a more compelling story for 2a if I go the ethical dilemma route. However, thinking about the last part of the question (How would Chicago help you), I feel there is a lot more you can write for 2b and I am drawing a blank for 2a.

Any help would be appreciated and I will add kudos to you whenever it comes back :-D
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Wanted to get opinions on my approach to Chicago's essay #1:

Please provide an example of a time when you had to make a choice between two equally important obligations. How did you decide which obligation deserved your attention?

I'm thinking of using the time when I had to decide between staying in a city where all my friend/family were and where I had grown up + keeping my job VS. accepting a contracting opportunity (move at my own expense) in a different state.

I guess it comes down to being comfortable and satisfied vs. a real opportunity for professional and personal growth. It was a decision I struggled with for a long time. Does this sound like a reasonable essay considering the topic?
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I would think that's something you can make a good story out of. However, how would an MBA from Chicago help you with that decision?

I think the hard part of this question is writing a compelling story which can answer all 3 parts of the question; the hardest part being Why GSB?
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
yellowjacket wrote:
I would think that's something you can make a good story out of. However, how would an MBA from Chicago help you with that decision?

I think the hard part of this question is writing a compelling story which can answer all 3 parts of the question; the hardest part being Why GSB?

I think it would have helped with the cost/benefit analysis of taking a contracting job vs. keeping a secure full-time job and also the fact that Chicago likes to emphasize decision-making by taking the "emotions" out of the equation (they certainly played a part in my struggle). There are actually quite a few more things I think the MBA education would have helped with in making my decision.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
yellowjacket wrote:

I think it would have helped with the cost/benefit analysis of taking a contracting job vs. keeping a secure full-time job and also the fact that Chicago likes to emphasize decision-making by taking the "emotions" out of the equation (they certainly played a part in my struggle). There are actually quite a few more things I think the MBA education would have helped with in making my decision.

Well, in that case, I think it would be appropriate for the question.

One question though, why do you feel Chicago emphasizes taking the "emotion" out of the equation. I never seemed to get that impression from any b-school especially from Chicago. The info session in NY that I had gone to last year seemed to emphasize that they concentrate on the physochological aspect of the decision making process. My memory is slightly rusty, but I can look at my notes when I get home this evening and let you know. I would definitely advise you to check further on that aspect though.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
yellowjacket wrote:
Well, in that case, I think it would be appropriate for the question.

One question though, why do you feel Chicago emphasizes taking the "emotion" out of the equation. I never seemed to get that impression from any b-school especially from Chicago. The info session in NY that I had gone to last year seemed to emphasize that they concentrate on the physochological aspect of the decision making process. My memory is slightly rusty, but I can look at my notes when I get home this evening and let you know. I would definitely advise you to check further on that aspect though.

I was under the impression that the GSB emphasizes objective decison making. Doesn't that rely on analysis and eliminate emotion from the decision making process?

Maybe rhyme can chime in here.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Actually last week I was at a Chicago presentation and they stressed showing empathy in your decision making ability, and then relaying it in your essays. I would say showing the emotional side of the decision is very important, especially in regards to this part of the question:Did you try and predict other people's reactions to your decision?.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I would think you need to be careful about not showing yourself as too robotic. The questions itself seem to ask for an emotional side, so I would stay away from talking about taking the "emotions" out of your decision. Also, thinking of it from the perspective of being a future leader, I don't think a business school would want to educate someone who only makes decisions based on numbers/analysis. There is always going to be a human element about any decision any leader would make and I would think they would want to see you balance analysis against emotion. Your story would do this well, but I don't think that should be a lesson you would learn from going to GSB.

Any suggestions on my essay topic guys?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  95