It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2008, 10:55
Check this out:
http://uofcslogans.blogspot.com/

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t57360

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2008, 12:01
this is one of my favorite nerdy math pickup lines:

"I wish i were a derivative so i could lie tangent to your curves."

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2008, 12:36
rhyme wrote:

Also, see nullset:

Hahaha! We were just watchin' Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives and that graph just sooo fell into the picture.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2008, 19:38
yellowjacket wrote:
Good luck getting off the waitlist and finding inspiration. I hope we can both get off the waitlist.

I assume you're going to Michigan if you don't get into Chicago?

All my eggs are in the Chicago GSB basket and I really do not want to think about reapplying next year.

I didn't answer how I was hoping to get off the waitlist very well since I was on the phone at the time and got into the middle of a complicated technical discussion. Anyway, my plan is to try to reinforce the human side of me and show my desire to be in Chicago and at the GSB. I think my essays may have focused too much on "bherronp, super tech soldier," and not enough on me as a person. Anyway, the worst they can do is reject me, so I might as well go for broke at this point.

Also, while my job has not changed in title or responsibility, I fell like I have really grown into my job since I applied. I am not sure how to make that clear yet. I am going to finish brainstorming tomorrow and hopefully finish writing over the weekend.

Good luck getting off the wait list. I think it will be tough this year, the yield at Chicago will likely be pretty high. I feel torn sometimes between simply going with the acceptance I have and concentrating on Michigan, and the really great time I have had the two times I have been to Chicago and the incredible experience I think it would be (in addition to the much better job prospects for my wife).

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 1

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2008, 20:25
Good luck with that bherronp, super tech soldier! :lol:

Good luck with the brainstorming. Considering you already have the admit at Ross, you have to go for broke since this would just be a bonus anyway. But, yea, it is going to be very hard to get off the waitlist this year since yield is going to be very high.

My role at work has changed considerably and I have taken on additional responsibilities so that's what I will probably be talking about. My boss also said I will be getting a promotion, but because I work in FS, all promotions go into effect Jan, so I can't really talk about it. The change in responsibilities and some additional extra-curric that I have been doing is what I plan to talk about. Also, since I hadn't visited before the app deadline and just visited for the interview I'll talk about the visit.

Good luck!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2008, 22:44
Just came back from the Admit reception in San Mateo. Did any of you GMATClubbers go there?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2008, 09:56
I am a prospective student planning to apply for fall 2009. I have a couple questions about the GSB.

1. Does Chicago really feel like a "commuter school"? If so, is that a disadvantage?

2. Does the lack of a core curriculum/cohort system affect networking possibilities? I have heard that it actually has a positive effect since you are exposed to more people. Just curious what your opinions are.

FYI...I will be visiting there in May, so the visit should be able to clear up my questions as well. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2008, 10:31
maverick2011 wrote:

2. Does the lack of a core curriculum/cohort system affect networking possibilities? I have heard that it actually has a positive effect since you are exposed to more people. Just curious what your opinions are.

U of C GSB does have a cohort system. And yes, from what I heard, 100% flexible curriculum has very positive effect on networking, since you become a member of more learning teams and get to know more people. For example, a first year student may be a member of a learning group consisting of the second-year students and PhD students!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Schools: MIT Sloan

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2008, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
maverick2011 wrote:
1. Does Chicago really feel like a "commuter school"? If so, is that a disadvantage?

It depends on what your priorities are, so take me for example. These were my priorities and the facts I uncovered visiting Boston and Chicago multiple times.

Priorities:
1. Don't want getting back and forth from school to home to be a process, i.e. greater than 10 minutes of walking, riding public transportation, etc. Time management will be difficult enough during school, so I want the option to sneak back home to take a nap, get some food or retrieve something I forgot without it being painful.
2. I want easy access to gym, especially the school's which will be free, stores (food, etc.) and night life again without a process and preferrably without driving.
3. A good place to run and/or take a bike ride for a workout.
4. I would like to sell my truck, Ford F-350, because parking would kill me in the city and diesel is getting stupid expensive. ($4/gal) Plus I hate commuting be vehicle. I would rather read, walk and in general not deal with traffic, etc.

Boston:
Cambridge lacks significant night life but across the Charles River in Beacon Hill is a good substitute. The commute as long as your are near the red line (MIT specific) is easy and less than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, HBS is not easy to get to via the "T", so this doesn't apply. Boston is a nice compact city with a great public transportation system. For example, you can take a commuter train right to a ski hill and Amtrak is actually reliable south to New York. Bike riding and running are easy access from either side of the Charles River because of a bike path the city built along the banks. As long as I live along the red line I have no more than one stop to get to Kendall Square which is one block from school.

Chicago:
Hyde Park is near the hood and doesn't contain much for after school entertainment. Chicago is great with trendy spots for the younger crowd in Lincoln Park, Downtown and Lakeview. However, this makes getting to school a commute of roughly 30 minutes by vehicle. Although Chicago has great public transportation it is somewhat divided between north and south, this means if you live someplace like Lincoln Park you would take the "L" to as close to the Millenium Park commuter train station, but you'll have to walk a few blocks to bridge the gap. Then you'll be able to get down to Hyde Park. This process could take upwards of an hour. If you lived in Hyde Park, your problem would be getting home at night since the commuter trains discontinue service then it will be a $30 cab ride. What it comes down to if you could cut away that distance between Hyde Park and downtown you would have a situation very similar to Boston, but those extra miles and somewhat balkanized distribution of mass transit makes it more difficult. Running and biking in Chicago is nice with the Lake Shore. There is easy access from Hyde Park and most of the areas I mentioned. You may have to run a few blocks east to get on the bike path.

I love both Unversity of Chicago and MIT, although I'm on the waitlist at Chicago and I'm accepted at MIT. I just want every other aspect outside of b-school to be simplified, so Boston just seems to be better fit. My two cents for you.

I say yes Chicago is a commuter school unless you live in Hyde Park.

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2008, 13:17
clarksdv2 wrote:
somewhat balkanized distribution of mass transit

Huh! That's a nice term.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2008, 10:30
Did everybody receive their admit package ? I still didn't get mine and I am based in Chicago... Weird...

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2008, 10:43
CerealsMBA wrote:
Did everybody receive their admit package ? I still didn't get mine and I am based in Chicago... Weird...

That's weird indeed. I'd suggest that you call the Admissions Office or shoot them an email. I got mine more than a week ago, and I'm on the other side of the globe.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2192 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2008, 05:16
Updated page 1... take a peek if anyone knows something wrong let me know.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2008, 06:48
Rhyme.. Just noticed that the number of applicants in R1 is 42 and not 41.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2008, 09:15
Ladies and gents, it's been a pleasure to talk to all of you; I wouldn't have made it this far without you.

I have however decided to join Wharton, and will be matriculating soon.

Good luck to all of you, and I hope we'll still have the chance to meet for "real" :)

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2008, 10:11
Congratulations once again, Audio! I'm sure you'll enjoy Wharton.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2008, 10:48
Audio wrote:
Ladies and gents, it's been a pleasure to talk to all of you; I wouldn't have made it this far without you.

I have however decided to join Wharton, and will be matriculating soon.

Good luck to all of you, and I hope we'll still have the chance to meet for "real" :)

Good luck, Audio! W is a great school. Have fun and I am sure we'll have plenty of chances to meet.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2008, 16:12
Goodluck at W, Audio. Guess you are not coming to the admit weekend anymore??

CerealsMBA, I got my admit package two days after my phone call. Fedex Express delivery :P .

I really like how professional GSB has been with their communication and everything else. The local alumni has been extremely friendly and local admit group seems active and exciting...GSB even made a very friendly current student contact me to help out with questions...Kellogg may have a better marketing program, but GSB is kicking ass on selling its program..

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2008, 17:22
ujjib wrote:
CerealsMBA, I got my admit package two days after my phone call. Fedex Express delivery :P .

I really like how professional GSB has been with their communication and everything else. The local alumni has been extremely friendly and local admit group seems active and exciting...GSB even made a very friendly current student contact me to help out with questions...Kellogg may have a better marketing program, but GSB is kicking ass on selling its program..

Exactly my situation. I got my package within 2-3 days of getting the call. And I got an email from a current student telling me that he'd like to call me to answer any questions that I have. Moreover, the admit receptions, worldwide GSB night, admit weekend and the random walk etc are making sure that we start feeling like a part of GSB already. They are doing a very good job .

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2008, 05:49
mNeo wrote:
ujjib wrote:

Exactly my situation. I got my package within 2-3 days of getting the call. And I got an email from a current student telling me that he'd like to call me to answer any questions that I have. Moreover, the admit receptions, worldwide GSB night, admit weekend and the random walk etc are making sure that we start feeling like a part of GSB already. They are doing a very good job .

We volunteer to make those calls. I tried reaching out to my assigned folks but they dont reply.

Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2008, 05:49

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  120   121   122   123   124  ...  135    Next  [ 2681 posts ] 

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap