It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 12:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Schools: MIT
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2007, 23:00
Good to hear of interview invites!

Congrats! Keep em coming.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2007, 06:06
forcefeed wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
Wow..so many invites...none for me. I thought i had a shot, but i guess gotta go R2 and aim for lower schools. crap.

Theres no harm in targeting backup schools, but don't forget it ain't over till the fat lady sings... and her first act doesn't start till Nov 15th.

ack aceman ........chin up chin up!!! The number of days elapsed are but a fraction of the number of days remaining........sure you'll get a call

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2163 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2007, 06:28
aceman626 wrote:
Wow..so many invites...none for me. I thought i had a shot, but i guess gotta go R2 and aim for lower schools. crap.

Waaaay too early to throw in the towel. Invites do go out throughout the whole period.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2007, 16:36
My visit impressions of GSB

Pros:
- AMAZING Harper Center. I mean, I know it's awesome, I've seen pictures, but you have to be IN it to believe it! Just this building alone is tempting me to apply, haha!

- It seems that the curriculum is awesome/flexible, the career center goes above and beyond for its students (if you do MC/IB/GM), and of course, the school's reputation is great!

- Polsky Entrepreneurship Center is well funded, there are excellent entrepreneurship faculty, good competitions (business plan/venture), and support for starting businesses. Still researching how well it translates to the West Coast startup scene.

Cons:
- There definitely is a slightly lower amount of "team" oriented projects/work than schools such as Stanford/Berkeley/Kellogg. The 2nd year I talked with said that in some classes you can do everything yourself, and others you form teams (optional). It seems more like a "do your own thing" type school.

- I observed less of a "cohesive" feeling between the students compared to Kellogg or the Cali schools.

- "Commuter School" feel. Many people live farther away from GSB than at Kellogg, mainly because of the parent school and local area.

Overall:
I liked my visit, I loved the building, and I did find a few more items that would make me want to apply. Right now I'm just debating whether I want it bad enough to justify writing 2 more essays and a powerpoint package. I will have to do more website research and call a few more students to decide. Impressions improved a little from before.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2007, 22:24
Desi U-Chicers ..........all India based invterview invitees - have you schduled for an off-campus interview till now. If so where - the Mumbai an Bangalore ones??

Funny thing happened with me - the list shows Delhi to be an off-campus interview city, but when I tried to find an interviewer - 0 results. To check if the search was working I randomly chose New York an bingo - one interviewer found. Now the silly apply direct does not let me search for any other interviewers. Its stuck on that New Yorker.

Neeways have written to them an they are saying that the Delhi dude is booked solid an that I can only go for the on-location interviews in Mumbai an bangalore - on the 1st of next month.

My problem with this whole scenario - I'll have to travel unnecessarily and my R2 apps (which I havent even started till now) will suffer. Pus part of me is paranoid that they would have filled up all their seats by then in any case.

Putting this out there - any gmatters who are gonna be in Mumbai/Bangalore on 1/12 PM me.

Big man Rhyme - what percentage of ppl invited to interview actually get offers??

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 03:13
Ahh really been off this network for ages..feels great to post back...

Rhyme - u had been a great help during gmat preps of mine :-D

No invite for me till now expect a ding :(

The status is still "complete" would it ever turn to "rejected" or its understood after 14 november ? :(

rhyme some inspiration from your side would be a big plus :-D

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 07:38
now that's a question I would love to know the answer to

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 07:50
You knew I was going to have to comment :)

kryzak wrote:
My visit impressions of GSB

Cons:
- There definitely is a slightly lower amount of "team" oriented projects/work than schools such as Stanford/Berkeley/Kellogg. The 2nd year I talked with said that in some classes you can do everything yourself, and others you form teams (optional). It seems more like a "do your own thing" type school.

I'd point out is that isn't really optional. One of my strategy courses requires that you do the homework in groups, and instead of a final there's a group project. I don't have much of a choice in the matter. LEAD also demands everything team work based. On the other hand, in classes like statistics, yea, I have a choice.

You know, its funny. I used to think of this as a con as well - Kellogg was team everything and I thought I'd want that. Now that I'm actually here and some of my classes require teamwork, some don't, I feel pretty differently about it. Teamwork isn't all fun and games and I appreciate the fact that although I don't have a choice in all my classes, I'm not forced to do statistics homework with a team (though they do allow it).

In one course in particular, I'm stuck trying to coordinate with four other people every week for the cases, and planning schedules is a pain. I don't like to meet on a Saturday, but if I'm the only one with a problem with it, then guess what, I lose. There's also the freerider problem - inevitably, someone does more than their fair share to compensate. That can be very very irritating. Its nice to study as a group and work as a group, but not all the time for everything. Ironically, this is actually the number one complaint I hear from my friends at Kellogg as well - working in groups isn't all its cracked up to be.

So, what I'm trying to say is, GSB's approach of "sometimes mandatory sometimes not" is actually something I've come to consider a pro rather than a con.

[/quote]
Quote:
- I observed less of a "cohesive" feeling between the students compared to Kellogg or the Cali schools.

- "Commuter School" feel. Many people live farther away from GSB than at Kellogg, mainly because of the parent school and local area.

You know I have to tackle this one too. Yes, its true that people live all over but, somewhat ironically, I think it actually gives us a really stronger community. The reason is that people come to campus and they stay on campus - all day. You go eat near campus with friends, you hang out and play pool, you go to the bar next door, etc etc etc. The campus becomes a huge nexus for socialization. Precisely because people live in various parts of the city, people don't come in for a class and then leave. So, I'm not sure what you meant by commuter school feel - it kind of is a commuter school (though probably 40% live in Hyde Park and 40% in downtown) - but if you meant it as a "people come in and go" kind of thing... it really really isn't like that at all.

As for the cohesive comment, I cant really comment too much other than to say I think the GSB has plenty of student cohesion. We do a lot together all the time. It actually makes me think of something....one of the things I've come to like too (not sure how common this is elsewhere) is that I meet and work with (even in my study group) a lot of 2nd years. You aren't lockstep with first years and so my network is much larger. The guy sitting next to me in class may have interned at Bain last summer. The other guy in the corner is CEO of an internet startup. There's opportunity to work closely with a whole other class - and you really get to have fun. Last week, I went out to dinner with 11 second years, 3 phd students, 1 alum and 2 other first years. We ended up drinking and partying till 2.30am in the morning (when I left) and now, every time I see them in the atrium, they introduce me to someone else. Its fun.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 07:55
sangoman wrote:

Big man Rhyme - what percentage of ppl invited to interview actually get offers??

We don't know. (honestly I don't).

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 761 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 09:27
rhyme wrote:
sangoman wrote:

They told us during the Live Event, that 50% of students who interview are accepted.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 09:53
riverripper wrote:
rhyme wrote:
sangoman wrote:

They told us during the Live Event, that 50% of students who interview are accepted.

Well We are half way there then !
Yoo-hoo....
OK...down to earth now !!! and back to google typing in "Chicago GSB Interview"

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 10:03
vij101 wrote:
riverripper wrote:
rhyme wrote:
sangoman wrote:

Yoo-hoo....

Ya definitely not as good as some schools. I know MIT is around a 70% chance if you get invited to interview. Same with HBS and some others.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 10:14
riverripper wrote:
vij101 wrote:
riverripper wrote:
rhyme wrote:
sangoman wrote:

Yoo-hoo....

Ya definitely not as good as some schools. I know MIT is around a 70% chance if you get invited to interview. Same with HBS and some others.

50%, 70%, 1%... I don't care... I just want my invitation.

Come on GSB, show me some love. I'm starting to get worried.

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 10:15
rhyme wrote:
You knew I was going to have to comment :)

Of course, haha. It's interesting that if GSB has all these things I'm looking for in a school, it's definitely not portraying it well through everyone I've talked to other than you, rhyme. :)

rhyme wrote:
Ironically, this is actually the number one complaint I hear from my friends at Kellogg as well - working in groups isn't all its cracked up to be.

So, what I'm trying to say is, GSB's approach of "sometimes mandatory sometimes not" is actually something I've come to consider a pro rather than a con.

I understand what you're saying and I can see the cons of working in groups. Personally, I came from an engineering background where we (at my schools) did almost everything in groups of 2-4. homeworks, labs, projects, etc... You always need to coordinate meeting times, and since the homework takes 15-20 hours PER CLASS (I'm not exaggerating here), if you're taking three technical classes on average per semester/quarter, you're seeing your teammates A LOT and working pretty much every weeknight and most of a Saturday or Sunday on homework.

That's probably why I'm ok with coordinating with people, even free-loading people, as long as they pick up my slack in some other classes (which is what I heard they do at Haas and Stanford) so everyone has time to participate in all the craziness at b-school.

rhyme wrote:
You know I have to tackle this one too. Yes, its true that people live all over but, somewhat ironically, I think it actually gives us a really stronger community. The reason is that people come to campus and they stay on campus - all day.

Very true, but that is the same with Stanford and Berkeley, where people stay on campus pretty much all day, but afterwards, since everyone lives nearby, they continue to do the social stuff at the local town/someone's house, which is a couple blocks away. It's probably also a function of class size, as both Stanford and Berkeley are small enough that the 2nd years I talk to seem to know everyone in their class, whereas the 2nd years I've talked to at both Kellogg and GSB know both a smaller percentage and number of people in their classes.

rhyme wrote:
meant by commuter school feel - it kind of is a commuter school (though probably 40% live in Hyde Park and 40% in downtown) - but if you meant it as a "people come in and go" kind of thing... it really really isn't like that at all.

I guess everyone's experience is different. Two of the 2nd years I talk to made the same commuter school comment independently (not with the exact same words, of course).

rhyme wrote:
things I've come to like too (not sure how common this is elsewhere) is that I meet and work with (even in my study group) a lot of 2nd years. You aren't lockstep with first years and so my network is much larger.

That is pretty awesome! I'm glad to hear of the interactions between 1st and 2nd years. That is similar to what I've witnessed at UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, and Kellogg.

Again, I'm not trying to "bash" GSB in any way with my observations, but merely trying to establish my own "fit" criteria and figure out whether I would feel at home at the GSB as compared to the other 4 schools I'm applying to.

This visit definitely gave me a better feel about GSB than before, but I'm not sure if it's enough yet. I do appreciate your (rhyme) being there and helping reveal things that I could not have observed or experienced in my short visit or discussions with students! :)

I have no doubt GSB is a great school for most people (especially the GM/IB/MC "mainstream" career folks), and its academic strength and brand name is superb. But for someone with more "pickier" tastes like me, I need to spend more time thinking about my decisions to apply before I do so.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2007, 13:51
Just confirmed my interview with the Alum. Its going to be on 11/15.
hope to nail it :lol: or get nailed !!! :roll:

Manager
Manager

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2007, 00:36
Kryzak - me is as finicky as you .......but all pickyness goes out of the window once I get an Admit - from anywhere. Next year I hope to be defening one of Stan / MIT/ U-Chic on this forum........but if things dont work out, I'll still be defending Online Pheonix School of Business here :)

okies ppl .......will you guys be posting interview debriefs in this thread or is there some sticky thread for ALL interviews (irrespective of schools)

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2007, 01:41
Those of you considering b-school: Note the timestamp on this message..

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2007, 01:50
rhyme wrote:

Partying hard, eh, Rhyme? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2007, 03:45
helg wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Partying hard, eh, Rhyme? :lol: :lol: :lol:

If by party you mean editing a powerpoint deck, then yes.

finished.....

My day today:

8am, get up, feeling sick as heck. Go to school anyway. Go to team meeting, skip big shot consulting firm presentation because i have too much to do. Finish stats homework, go to doctor (who does nothing) at 11am, come back at 12, eat something fast, meet with another team for 2 hours till 3pm, go get my cover letters reviewed at 3pm, run to class, im 40 minutes late. Oops. Go put on suit at 4.30pm. Go schmooze with some firms for 3 hours, drive home, get home at 8.30pm. Walk dog. Conduct informational interview with consulting firm at 9pm. Go to starbucks 9.30pm, meet team, work on deck till midnight. Come home, work on deck till 4:45am. Write this post. Debate sanity of MBA.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2007, 09:49
wow, you *are* partying hard, rhyme! :wink:

What's a "powerpoint deck"?

Yup, that sound like the schedule in engineering school, just a LOT more fun (and I'm serious about that :) )

[#permalink] 08 Nov 2007, 09:49

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  18   19   20   21   22  ...  135    Next  [ 2681 posts ]