Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 08:44 It is currently 23 May 2024, 08:44
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
GMAT 2: 680  Q44  V38
GPA: 3.877
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink]
Aenigma wrote:
So I dunno. At the end of the day, this is all just intellectual exercise. Who knows what the numbers are, who knows what the criteria, who knows? Here's hoping we buck the trend -- whatever the real numbers are -- and we ALL get in.

True! Good luck to all of you. In my case though I would really LOVE to know if my application got as far as Rose's desk. I wonder if anyone on the adcom, student or otherwise was a fan. 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V36
Send PM
I read somewherein the last years threads that adcom(atleast Rose) sees the powerpoint only after the interview.

I'm too lazy to dig out the link. I think it was on an interview trascript ( Linda Abraham asked the question and Rose responded)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
GMAT 2: 680  Q44  V38
GPA: 3.877
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Send PM
Kudos
I love how much time we all waste stressing about things we cannot control...as if developing conspiracy theories somehow gives us control over the situation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V36
Send PM
robertrdzak wrote:
I love how much time we all waste stressing about things we cannot control...as if developing conspiracy theories somehow gives us control over the situation.

Oui Monsieur!

I don't have anything else to freak me out. My gf is not with me
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
unplugged wrote:
I read somewherein the last years threads that adcom(atleast Rose) sees the powerpoint only after the interview.

I'm too lazy to dig out the link. I think it was on an interview trascript ( Linda Abraham asked the question and Rose responded)

Found the link.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-chicago-gsb-applicants-48955-2060.html#p443000

Very interesting. No wonder I got an interview!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
Aenigma wrote:
unplugged wrote:
Aenigma,

I think, Rose reads applications only when there is a tie( whether to interview or not). In all other cases the decision is made by the logic gate( 2yes's== invite to interview, if one is yes then Rose breaks the tie....remember??)

Fair enough, I feel like this is one of those things that has been hashed out before and I've just forgotten by now. That said, I did see this in an interview mbaMission conducted with Rose this past summer:

Quote:
mbaMission: How do you read an application? Do you pick up a PowerPoint presentation first or read a recommendation, perhaps?

RM: Typically, I go through the data portions. Work experience, numbers, schools, major, a little bit of parental background, kind of getting the overall profile, getting a sense of the candidate. Often I go right into the recommendation letters for a bit, just to see how somebody else perceives the candidate. Then, I read the application essays, typically spending a fair amount of time on the PowerPoint. When an application gets to me, it has typically been read at least four times, so I'm getting the benefit of a lot of different voices on that file.

So I dunno. At the end of the day, this is all just intellectual exercise. Who knows what the numbers are, who knows what the criteria, who knows? Here's hoping we buck the trend -- whatever the real numbers are -- and we ALL get in.

I remember Kurt saying that Rose reads EVERY application that gets accepted. She receives all the files, along with the admissions committee's recommendation and then makes the final call. The only exception is for outstanding applications from obvious admits.

I refuse to worry about this. It just compounds my feeling of having absolutely no control over what happens between now and the 24th. I love Booth but whatever happens, happens. I am going to the gym!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Send PM
arggggghhh three weeks seriously feels like an eternity. sigh.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Send PM
Also, is it a bad sign if you interviewer doesn't reply to your thank you email? I had asked my interview a question in my thank you email and she didn't reply :cry: (she had told me during the interview that she would connect me to someone who was interested in my industry area so I could learn more about Booth's resources for that area, so I followed up on that in my thank you email...mistake?)

i so hate waiting
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V36
Send PM
mbasc2010 wrote:
Also, is it a bad sign if you interviewer doesn't reply to your thank you email? I had asked my interview a question in my thank you email and she didn't reply :cry: (she had told me during the interview that she would connect me to someone who was interested in my industry area so I could learn more about Booth's resources for that area, so I followed up on that in my thank you email...mistake?)

i so hate waiting

Even mine didn't respond. I don't think it means anything

We will know whether or not it is a bad sign by 24th Mar
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
I got to my on-campus interview really early. When the people that were interviewing before me came out, their interviewers went into the back where the admissions office is and didn't emerge for another 20+ minutes. When I got out of my interview, my interviewer went right into the back too after I said good bye. I think they probably write up their reports on the interview immediately after finishing. For on campus, these thank you notes probably mean nothing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
can someone add me to the r2 app. list. i just interview this past saturday. have my fingers crossed for three weeks from today ....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship, High Tech
Schools:HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
britguy wrote:
Thanks Rhyme! This data is interesting but it's all pre-crisis - I think everyone's pretty confident that the figures were great until last year. Fingers crossed they'll bounce back but not counting my chickens - could be some tough times ahead, especially for those of us dumb enough to be changing career INTO financial services!

Hey, BG, that data is class of 2009, is not pre crisis is the data that BW was referring to. Anyhow, take the data from schools with a grain of salt. I checked both Booth's and Kellogg's data and found at least one error in each. Booth's was missing a friend of mine's offer who got into a consulting shop in Latin America (@rhyme: the guy I mentioned when we talked over the phone) so we was counted as an unemployed guy. You might say 1 out of 500 is not a big deal since it is only .2% unemployment. But if I found 1 right off the bat, there could be maybe 10 of those. And 10 people is 2% less unemployment figures...

Don't know, schools numbers are tricky. With kellogg it was the same, they account for the number of offers and exclude those not looking for a job because they were sponsored. However, in K's report I found a colleague that was listed in the offering list while he went there sponsored by the company...

and yes, Wharton did much worse...so I don't know, market was screwed last year...we'll see how class of 2010 does..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Schools:HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
 Q49  V40
Send PM
quantconcerns wrote:
On her blog, Rose responds to some comment by a prospective regarding how many people they extend and interview invite: she stated that 40-50%. Here are the comments:
Quote:
Feb-3 - abcd — How many people (or percentage of applicants) (ball park) are offered interview calls for R2?
Feb-3 - Rose — It depends upon the quality of the applicant pool, but it will likely fall between 40-50% of the pool. Thanks, Rose

So I am not sure how the 1 in 4 stat is correct, unless their acceptance rate is 10 - 12.5% which it definately isnt.

from my understanding, Booth has around 5000 applicants. This year, the target class size is 580 (was told by a friend who is an admissions fellow) and I undertand that Booth has a ~ yield of 60%. that means, they have to extend almost 900 acceptances to get to their target class size...which results in an acceptance rate of around 18%~ 20% as stated on BW and other online publications. Maybe (hopefully) she got her numbers mixed up.

just to give you a tip...the total number of admits in R1 was 336...just so you can do your math...I highly doubt it that they bring 200 guys in R3...so your numbers might be a bit off...calculate a 750 admits for a 540 class (I think last year was a fluke)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I think the 25% makes sense, given that Booth has witnessed an increase in applicants by 25%, and that they interview 50-60% of applicants (both figures for this year as said by Rose herself in either blog or chats)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
yeah, 1 to 4 makes sense... which makes it more competitive for us. hope we all get in!

what is the story about the ppt after the interview? adcom did not read ppt, and only now they read the ppt?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V40
Send PM
tispot wrote:
yeah, 1 to 4 makes sense... which makes it more competitive for us. hope we all get in!

what is the story about the ppt after the interview? adcom did not read ppt, and only now they read the ppt?

What do you mean with this? Where did they say that they do not read the PPT until after the Interview?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
 Q48  V47
Send PM
latammc wrote:
tispot wrote:

What do you mean with this? Where did they say that they do not read the PPT until after the Interview?

Guys, you didn't read the link I posted.
calling-chicago-gsb-applicants-48955-2060.html#p443000

Rose says they do review the powerpoint before distributing interview invitations, it just becomes a much bigger consideration post-interview.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  87   88   89   90   91  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6936 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts