Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:03 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg (Accepted) Booth (WL)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink]
It can be very expensive in some nations. I've heard horror stories (from my company) where someone racked up $800 charges at a Caribbean nation not making a single call. Apparently the phone is sending and receiving data by itself.

My personal story: I was billed for international roaming fees when I visited Niagara fall (US side), but was charged by the phone company since the tower I was using apparently resides at the Canadian side of the fall. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entertainment
Schools:Chicago (Ding w/Interview), Kellogg(Ding), Darden (Int), NYU (Rd 2), USC (Rd 2)
 Q47  V37
Send PM
I think I am just going wait until decisions are posted online and check the 16th.

I don't need to sit and stare at my phone all day when I am sitting at the beach.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
24 wrote:
I think I am just going wait until decisions are posted online and check the 16th.

I don't need to sit and stare at my phone all day when I am sitting at the beach.

Which beach
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General, Management & Org Behaviour
Schools:Chicago Booth class of 2012
 Q49  V44
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Send PM
Ummm.... I just check the website and they have a different Round 1 decision notification date on the main page than on the admissions process page. One says December 16 and one says December 22.

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/ad ... index.aspx - Dec 16

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/ad ... apply.aspx - Dec 22

Thoughts people?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
The email sent to R1 applicants stated that it would be 12/16 (revised from 12/22). Check your email for "Chicago Booth Round One Information". They probably just forgot to update one of the pages.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
 Q45  V46
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Oil and gas
Send PM
"the timing of interview invites is purely random..." - Rose Martinelli

What's the consensus of belief about this? I noticed on BW and gmatclub that a big wave of interview invites, myself included, came all at once on the 2nd last day before mid-decision. Elsewhere I've read posts citing SY students describing the review process, saying if both readers agree then invite issued immediately, otherwise referrred to committee for review.

So being all conspiracy theorist, I suspect that the timing is not random for the last-minute folks, who presumably scraped through the committee review. Good news for the early-invitees though!

What do you guys think?

:D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship, High Tech
Schools:HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
 Q49  V40
Send PM
britguy wrote:

What's the consensus of belief about this? I noticed on BW and gmatclub that a big wave of interview invites, myself included, came all at once on the 2nd last day before mid-decision. Elsewhere I've read posts citing SY students describing the review process, saying if both readers agree then invite issued immediately, otherwise referrred to committee for review.

So being all conspiracy theorist, I suspect that the timing is not random for the last-minute folks, who presumably scraped through the committee review. Good news for the early-invitees though!

What do you guys think?

Hopefully (at least just for me) your theory is accurate! I received mine the very first day very early in the morning!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
britguy,

I don't think the timing of interview invites is completely random; those who submitted applications earlier tended to get interview invites earlier because their applications were queued up for review first. However, I've talked to an alumni and all applications are evaluated by two students and the adcom before interview invites are sent. I don't think the timing of the interview invite says anything about the quality of your application or likelihood of acceptance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
britguy wrote:

It's random.
Manager
Manager
Schools:Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
 Q45  V46
Send PM
I hope that's the case - my recommenders waited until the last second to submit, which would equally well explain why my invite came last minute.

Not long to wait now anyway...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I am applying in R2.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Chicago R1 (Accepted), HBS R1 (Accepted), Kellogg R1 (Accepted)
 Q48  V44
Send PM
It's not completely random. But it's not an indicator of the quality of your application either. Rose's post a few weeks prior to the deadline had the title "What's the benefit of submitting early?" where she explicitly stated that if you submit early, you will hear about your interview earlier.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: PE/VC, Finance, General Management
Schools:MIT Sloan, Chicago (WL - dinged), Yale SOM, , Tuck (WL - withdrawn)
 Q44  V44
I'm in R1 (submitted 10/11, interview invite 10/29)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
All those who have been interviewed in R1... someone told me that its a good idea to keep in touch with adcom through mail or phone just to keep reminding them of your name (i guess) - is there any merit in that? I personally feel they would be too tied up right now and this might make sense later on in case one gets waitlisted
Manager
Manager
 Q45  V46
Send PM
I have no idea whether it's a good idea, but if I worked in adcom I'd be annoyed by that...!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
I don't think that there's some merit in contacting the adcom, and if you do, certainly don't contact them frequently - they're ridiculously busy with admissions. The only reason to contact them would be to make sure that your app didn't get lost, or update them on a very significant event (but even that's questionable). That said, with electronic submission of apps, well, do you really think it will get lost? No, it won't, so I'd suggest not bugging them. As for contacting them if your'e waitlisted, however, that's different, but we're not addressing that at this time.

Unless something huge has happened in your life, the adcom should have more than enough info from your app to determine whether or not to interview you. Good luck! I can definitely say Booth is worth the time and effort. I can only hope that I'll be contacting some of you in just a few weeks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship, High Tech
Schools:HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
 Q49  V40
Send PM
2010HereICome wrote:
All those who have been interviewed in R1... someone told me that its a good idea to keep in touch with adcom through mail or phone just to keep reminding them of your name (i guess) - is there any merit in that? I personally feel they would be too tied up right now and this might make sense later on in case one gets waitlisted

Personally, I believe there is no value in contacting the adcom right now. It might even play against you. If your interview was good to great, you should get waitlisted as least. Then, you can push to get out of the WL...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37  ...  135   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts