GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 19:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880s and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880s and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jul 2014, 10:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:52) correct 62% (01:44) wrong based on 275 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

196. Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880’s and early 1890’s with the sculptor Auguste Rodin; since there are very few signed works of hers, the inescapable conclusion seems to be one of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period.

(A) inescapable conclusion seems to be one of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period
(B) conclusion of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period seems inescapable
(C) conclusion seems inescapable that part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period was conceived and executed by Claudet
(D) conclusion of part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period having been conceived and executed by Claudet seems inescapable
(E) seemingly inescapable conclusion is that Claudet would have conceived and executed part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period

Consider kudos for good post.

Originally posted by gmataspirant2009 on 31 Aug 2009, 02:29.
Last edited by PiyushK on 07 Jul 2014, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Manager
Manager
Re: Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880s and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2009, 04:00
C

conclusion seems inescapable.

Consider kudos for a good explanation

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2009, 10:50
Can anyone explain why the answer is not B. Between B and C, i will choose B as C is in passive voice and GMAT does not perfer sentense in passive voice when active voice can do.

Consider kudos for good post.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2009, 13:04
Why don't you underline the sentence. Even others are spending their time solving the question.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2010, 22:57
I chose A because no other choice has the correct idiom -"seems to be".

I think there is some problem with the options in this case. If C is correct the the correct part will be-
conclusion seems to be inescapable

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2010, 17:16
I was torn between (A) and (E).

Finally chose (E). What is the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2010, 17:57
I am stuck between B and C. I'll peak B because it seems as that modifiers are in the right place and C uses passive voice.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2010, 21:56
I am confused b/w A and E, but E is short and correct usage of adverb+adj+noun sounds better. Can we have the OA?

gmataspirant2009 wrote:
196. Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880’s and early 1890’s with the sculptor Auguste Rodin; since there are very few signed works of hers, the inescapable conclusion seems to be one of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period.(
(A) inescapable conclusion seems to be one of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period

(B) conclusion of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period seems inescapable
[...period seems inescapable - This is awkward style saying the period rather than the conclusion seems inescapable. Incorrect]

(C) conclusion seems inescapable that part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period was conceived and executed by Claudet
[Similar to B. INESCAPABLE is an adjective and here it is misplaced and says that CONCLUSION is something which is trying to escape. Incorrect]

(D) conclusion of part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period having been conceived and executed by Claudet seems inescapable
[Passive voice -conceived and executed. Changed meaning that Claudet seems inescapable. Incorrect]

(E) seemingly inescapable conclusion is that Claudet would have conceived and executed part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period.

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2010, 22:10
196. Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880’s and early 1890’s with the sculptor Auguste Rodin; since there are very few signed works of hers, the inescapable conclusion seems to be one of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period.(
(E) seemingly inescapable conclusion is that Claudet would have conceived and executed part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period

C. or E. on first blush. A,B, and D. are very awkward and certainly not correct. So, now what is the difference? Which has a flaw or even a partial flaw. okay E seems to have the 'would have conceived and executed' where no subjunctive is called for. C. it reads better and I don't see a flaw.

If you found my comments helpful, please give kudos. (one more needed)
Thanks,
Skip
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2010, 04:23
IMO E

Quote:
[color=#FF0040]one of Cludet just doesn't sound right to me[/color]
[color=#FF0040]seems inescapable needs to be next to the subject it is modifying conclusion[/color]
Prefer E as this is passive mood
See reasons for both C and D above

Correct

OA please!!!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2010, 03:58
gmataspirant2009 wrote:

confused between 'B' and 'C'. Finally choosed 'B'. 'C' is passive also conclusion seems inescapable that part.../ Here that doesnt clearly refer its antecedent, is it noun conclusion or the noun inescapable. so rejected 'C'. Can we OA please?
VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 11:55
This one has not been clarified yet.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2010, 14:13
I think Answer is B:

gmataspirant2009 wrote:
(A) inescapable conclusion seems to be one [strike]of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period[/strike]
(B) conclusion [strike]of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period[/strike]seems inescapable
(C) conclusion seems inescapable that part [strike]of Rodin’s enormous production of that period[/strike] was conceived and executed by Claudet
(D) conclusion [strike]of part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period having been conceived and executed by Claudet[/strike] seems inescapable

The reasons are as follows:
1. SEEMS is the verb which is a linking verb and must be followed by an Adjective.
As in the quote I have struck out the parts that can be eliminated due to prepositional phrase.

A - Incorrect: Inescable conclusion seems to be one -> Makes no sense.
E - Incorrect: 'seemingly inescable conclusion' ... Here seemingly is modifying inescable and hence changing the meaning completely.
B,C, D - All seem to be correct... but C and D are in Passive voice.
Additionally, for C we have a Misplaced modifier as 'part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period was conceived and executed by Claudet' should modify 'conclusion' and not 'inescapable'

D - I think(but not sure) 'having been' is incorrect tense... moreover it is Passive.

That leaves me with the Answer B - which has correct modifier and tense.

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2010, 03:08
Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880’s and early 1890’s with the sculptor Auguste Rodin; since there are very few signed works of hers, the inescapable conclusion seems to be one of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period.
- seems - to be one of - Claudet conceiving & executing etc.... looks vague

(B) conclusion of Claudet conceiving and executing part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period seems inescapable -
- sounds like a run-on sentence,
-Perfect , Clear and concise.
(D) conclusion of part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period having been conceived and executed by Claudet seems inescapable - preposition double usage
(E) seemingly inescapable conclusion is that Claudet would have conceived and executed part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period[/quote] - adverb modifying something it shouldn't

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2010, 03:14
devashish wrote:
I think Answer is B:

gmataspirant2009 wrote:

Additionally, for C we have a Misplaced modifier as 'part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period was conceived and executed by Claudet' should modify 'conclusion' and not 'inescapable'

That leaves me with the Answer B - which has correct modifier and tense.

I dont agree, I believe "part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period was conceived and executed by Claudet" is modifying conclusion without doubt,

conclusion as the subject, seems as the verb, inescapabale as the object, the above part modifies the subject correctly.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2010, 06:14
I think it is C. I thought E at first then saw the "would have" which didn't seem correct.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2010, 09:30
methevoid wrote:
I dont agree, I believe "part of Rodin’s enormous production of that period was conceived and executed by Claudet" is modifying conclusion without doubt,

conclusion as the subject, seems as the verb, inescapabale as the object, the above part modifies the subject correctly.

As I understand a Noun Modifier should touch the noun it modifies.Here the Modifying clause is near 'Inescapable' rather than 'Conclusion'. So I feel this is a Misplaced Modifier. Pkease correct me if I am wrong with explanations.

Thanks

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2011, 23:10
IMO C
experts may throw some light...

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 20:48
Can sum1 pls explain y is option E wrong ?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 03:03
shonakshi wrote:
Can sum1 pls explain y is option E wrong ?

Conditional perfect "would have" is used for a hypothetical instance that never happened in the past.

IF Sophie HAD EATEN pizza yesterday, THEN she WOULD HAVE BECOME ill.
IF Past Perfect, THEN Conditional Perfect (example from Manhattan GMAT)

The above statement implies that Sophie did not eat Pizza yesterday and did not become ill.

Camille Claudet actually conceived and executed, hence use of conditional perfect is wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880s and &nbs [#permalink] 27 Jul 2016, 03:03

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Camille Claudet worked continuously through the 1880s and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap