Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can I get admission in MBA-IB without having Work Experience [#permalink]
Respected Sir/ Ma''am

I am 24, done with my Bachelors - 20011, and Masters - 2013 , both in Mass communication.
With having No Work experience, What are the odds that I can get admission for course MBA - IB?, by IB I meant - International Business or say Foreign Trade management program.

I am planning to give my GMAT Exam in first week of November 2013, as I am still pulling up my socks for Quant aptitude, as I consider myself weak in Maths area.

I would be grateful to you if you can guide me weather or not I should apply for MBA - IB , WITHOUT HAVING ANY WORK EXPERIENCE?
I am not aiming too high, I am looking forward to target & apply only in Above Average Public Universities of U.S. or U.K.

Can I get admission without having work experience, what are the likelihood??

Thanks & Regards
Priya Sharma
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Respected Sir/ Ma''am

I am 24, done with my Bachelors - 20011, and Masters - 2013 , both in Mass communication.
With having No Work experience, What are the odds that I can get admission for course MBA - IB? . By IB I meant - International Business or say Foreign Trade management program.

I am planning to give my GMAT Exam in first week of November 2013, as I am still pulling up my socks for Quant aptitude, as I consider myself weak in Maths area.

I would be grateful to you if you can guide me weather or not I should apply for MBA - IB , WITHOUT HAVING ANY WORK EXPERIENCE?
I am not aiming too high, I am looking forward to target & apply only in Above Average Public Universities of U.S. or U.K.

Thanks & Regards
Priya Sharma

Originally posted by priyasharma29 on 21 Sep 2013, 10:39.
Last edited by priyasharma29 on 21 Sep 2013, 21:26, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Respected Sir/ Ma''am

With having No Work experience, What are the odds that I can get admission for course MBA - IB?

Thanks & Regards
Priya Sharma
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: Can I get admission in MBA-IB without having Work Experience [#permalink]
Expert Reply
priyasharma29 wrote:
Respected Sir/ Ma''am

With having No Work experience, What are the odds that I can get admission for course MBA - IB?

Thanks & Regards

Priya Sharma

Priya,

By IB are you referring to Investment banking?
I a not aware of any MBA for investment banking. You can however specialize in finance and seek a job with an IB company using this route.

In your case I am not clear why you would do that considering you have a bachelors and masters in communications. You probably are a "poet" and not a "quant", which is what an IB job will require from you. Your job should align with your aptitude.

Namita Garg,
https://www.mbadecoder.com
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Not likely and if you do, the value will not be there for you in getting the MBA.
You will not be as useful/helpful to the class discussions and not having work experience will make it harder to relate/understand material or capture take away points.

That's of course my opinion.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
And I have merged all your double posts into one BIG UGLY thread.

DO NOT DOUBLEPOST - you waste people's time and space on the forum.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
priyasharma29 wrote:
Respected Sir/ Ma''am

With having No Work experience, What are the odds that I can get admission for course MBA - IB? , by IB I meant - International Business or say Foreign Trade management program.

Thanks & Regards
Priya Sharma

Hi Priya,

I think a good way to consider this question is to ask yourself: "How will I be able to contribute to a richness of discussion in an MBA class? What value do I bring to the class, different and beyond the other MBA candidates?"

This question is more easily answered when you have work and managerial experience under your belt. Perhaps you will be able to answer these questions easily without work experience, but, will you be an even better, more competitive candidate with work experience?

Speaking from my own perspective, I have learnt so much in the last 3.5yrs of work experience - navigating workplace politics, framing negotiations with c-suite client executives, leading a high-performing team and a low-performing team, and how I have had to adjust my leadership to suit. These are all perspectives and experiences I can share with my MBA class mates.

Admissions committees need to be convinced that you will be an asset to the class mix. You will be the best person to answer your questions, and probably not anyone on this forum.

Hope that helps!
etta
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
is it possible to apply to a top mba institute in asia like NSU with 1 year or more but less than 2 years work experience
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V147
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
lamps08 wrote:
is it possible to apply to a top mba institute in asia like NSU with 1 year or more but less than 2 years work experience

It all depends on your profile and whether or not an individual is ready for MBA
But mostly, admission committee expects average work experience of 3 years so that the individual can contribute to the class discussions
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Without work experience, a Masters in Management (MiM) is a better option for you. You can read more about those programs, and what sets them apart from MBAs here: https://aringo.com/masters-in-management/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
There are some MBA programs which students can apply for and get admitted without work experience, not all are geared toward students without prior career.
GMAT Club Bot