GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Mar 2019, 06:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Can someone please analyse my esrs for 2 tests 680 & 700?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Can someone please analyse my esrs for 2 tests 680 & 700?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 19:05
Hello,
I gave my gmat last year at a months gmat scoring 680 and 700. I am going to try again because I always got 760 750 in my mocks. I think I can do it but my esr doesn't really point out one obvious mistake or i am just not able to get it. Can someone please analyse them and point out the obvious? I will pm you both the esr when you reply here. Thanks a lot.

Pranay

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Can someone please analyse my esrs for 2 tests 680 & 700?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 23:09
Hi pranaybhasin,

Back in August, you posted after scoring 680 on the Official GMAT (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gave-gmat-to ... l#p2109400). It's not clear how you've been studying over the last 6 months since then, but you clearly took the GMAT again.

Before we discuss the information in your two ESRs, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying (since you took the GMAT the first time) and your goals:

Studies:
1) What type of study routine have you been following? Did you take any "time off" from your studies?
2) What study materials have you used over the last 6 months?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) Is your Score Goal still 720+ or is it something else?
5) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2019, 00:00
Sure Pranay. Please PM the Enhanced Score Reports for both the attempts.

Also, let us know what resources have you been using for your prep so far.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B
Can someone please analyse my esrs for 2 tests 680 & 700?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2019, 20:22
Hello Rich and Ashish,

I prepared around 4 months with various resources. I took princeton review sessions but never found them much useful. I started with manhattan gmat guides. completed OG 2013,16 and 18 with quant and verbal reviews. I prepared myself for the hardest ones through GMATCLUB resources such as bunuels at the end. So i was pretty much confident as my gmat prep scores were 740,750,770,730 respectively. In my first attempt i just got 5th percentile in RC,91 in SC and 65 in CR. in my second attempt it was 80 in RC, 65 in sc and around 40 in CR. IDK. whether it was luck or what but i didnt increase my RC practice much that it may affect my other scores. My RC was always the best out of these as i rarely used to get any wrong during my practice session. I gave my second attempt after a month only, because during the first attempt i had tremendous disturbances at the center. So i thought this time i could bring out the full. But alas, it was the same 680 to 700. It's verbal thats affecting the score
1st Q49 V32
2nd Q50 V34

And my goals just not 720+... Its 740+.... I believe I can do it and I will do it.. I just cant get where i am going wrong.
I used to study for around 2 hours weekdays and 4 hours on weekends. I have ADHD so its difficult to sit for anything more than that but i covered and revised and maintained an error log. I did everything by the book. Yeah, theres one thing. I never slept more than 8 hours a day. Because of my work and then gmat, i could manage 4 to 5 hours of sleep during prep time but during final month i tried regulating it to about 7-8 hours. Now i am all about getting proper sleep and maintaining a good helthy routine besides studying.

I have about 3 months time now. and i have now resumed my studies after 4 months of gap. I am currently targeting National University of Singapore, Rotterdam, Copenhagen, Harvard and wharton.
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 16:30
Pranaybhasin,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First off, great job on quant! Q49 and Q50 are great scores, so keep up the good work. Since verbal clearly brought your score down, you need to spend time improving your verbal skills before your next GMAT.

Regarding your ESR, you bring up a very good point: your ESR probably won’t provide you with a clear picture of how to focus your prep to improve your verbal skills. Furthermore, since you scored a V32/V34 on your two GMATs, you likely need to improve all aspects of verbal to improve your GMAT score to 740+. Since you seem to be struggling most in SC and CR, start with those topics, and then continue to practice some RC.

I realize that you were able to perform better on your practice tests than on the real GMAT, so we need to determine WHY your verbal score dropped on test day. Certainly, stress could have played a role, but a more likely reason is that in your GMAT preparation, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on the verbal section of the GMAT. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests but not applicable to the questions that you saw on the actual GMAT.

In my eyes, there is only one path forward: take a deep dive back into your verbal prep so you can individually master each topic, starting with the foundations before moving to more advanced topics. You have to learn to more clearly see what is going on in the questions and answer choices. Doing so will take working topic by topic, carefully answering questions as you work on each topic. You won't lock in a high verbal score by continuing to do what you did before this recent test. You have to adjust your training to become more skilled in clearly defining the differences between incorrect answers and correct answers.

In other words, you have to learn to make your reasons for eliminating choices less like these:

"This choice is too extreme."

"I don't see how this applies."

and more like this one:

"This choice seems to conflict with the premises of the argument but actually fits the constraints established by the premises and fails to attack the connection between the premises and the conclusion."

Feel free to keep me updated and reach out with any further questions. Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 18:11
Hi pranaybhasin,

I've sent you a PM with the analysis of your two ESRs and some notes/suggestions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 23:55
Hello,

Ok so this is discouragin for me because I can't understand what is happening. I have always been an above average student. My first ever diagnostic on gmat prep resulted in 600. Now after giving gmat twice 4 months before. Without studying through out this time, I gave a diagnostic today to assets where i stand now before beginning. And i scored 760 in gmat prep exam 4. Questions were new. I took it in my office so there were normal distractions. Even i didnt sleep properly last night and had a few drinks too much yesterday. I was stressed as usual. Q50 v44. I just can't realise what's wrong with me.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Can someone please analyse my esrs for 2 tests 680 & 700?   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2019, 23:55

Can someone please analyse my esrs for 2 tests 680 & 700?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap