It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 07:27

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Canada B-schools for MBA finance

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 02:58
Hello Everyone! I am looking forward to apply to Canadian B-schools for fall 2018 intake. I have 4 years of professional experience in the Indian banking industry. I do not want to apply to the top five bschools viz. Rotman, Schulich, Ivey...etc. because of the high tution fees. So I needed some advice about tier-2 bschools in Canada which are good for MBA finance. Also, I am considering to apply to Universities in the vicinity of Toronto and Vancouver.
I hope you people can guide me in this matter. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 168

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Broad '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 04:42
ishitagohil wrote:
Hello Everyone! I am looking forward to apply to Canadian B-schools for fall 2018 intake. I have 4 years of professional experience in the Indian banking industry. I do not want to apply to the top five bschools viz. Rotman, Schulich, Ivey...etc. because of the high tution fees. So I needed some advice about tier-2 bschools in Canada which are good for MBA finance. Also, I am considering to apply to Universities in the vicinity of Toronto and Vancouver.
I hope you people can guide me in this matter. Thanks.


I understand that high tuition might seem insurmountable, but I don't think this is the correct way of going about it if you are planning on staying in Canada. Yes, the tuition is high, but you will generally make that back in a few years due to the increased opportunities and better positions you'd get after one of these schools. Rotman's graduates average 93k a year. Degroote's average is 73k. Thats a 100k difference in earnings after 5 years post grad. That alone covers the tuition difference, and some. Not to mention the extra stock/bonuses/etc.

If you are planning on moving out of Canada to a place where salaries are lower, then I can understand the worry. If not, I would aim for the best program you can get into.

Per finance specialties, there isn't nearly as much depth in the Canadian schools as there is in the US, so I would recommend just following overall rankings. Any of them should be able to help place you into strong finance roles with your background.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 04:52
Hello! Thanks for the response. I am very much considering settling in Canada post my MBA. Also, I am yet to give GMAT (it's on 2nd December) I think a score of 700+ is inevitable for applying to the top five. So a majority of my options will weigh on my GMAT score.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

BSchool Thread Master
User avatar
G
Joined: 15 May 2017
Posts: 168

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Broad '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 05:01
Canadian cshools' gmat averages are significantly lower than the US. I'd say as long as you can score in the high 600s or low 700s it shouldn't hold you back unless you have poor grades.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 05:04
cxa0897 wrote:
Canadian cshools' gmat averages are significantly lower than the US. I'd say as long as you can score in the high 600s or low 700s it shouldn't hold you back unless you have poor grades.

Thanks for the prompt response. I have 1st class in first 3 years of my engineering and a distinction in the final year. I hope this academic record wouldn't be a problem

Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 317

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 22:28
Hi ishitagohil,

Agree that expense on the degree is not the right way to evaluate which schools to apply. A degree from less-reputed program may cost less in the beginning, but may set you back more overall in the medium term. If you’re looking at finance as your post-MBA industry, Toronto or nearby location for MBA would be ideal. When evaluating your academic credentials, they’ll consider both your GMAT score and undergrad performance, but ideally you should try to reach the median GMAT score at least.
_________________

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 22:43
99Colleges wrote:
Hi ishitagohil,

Agree that expense on the degree is not the right way to evaluate which schools to apply. A degree from less-reputed program may cost less in the beginning, but may set you back more overall in the medium term. If you’re looking at finance as your post-MBA industry, Toronto or nearby location for MBA would be ideal. When evaluating your academic credentials, they’ll consider both your GMAT score and undergrad performance, but ideally you should try to reach the median GMAT score at least.

Thanks. Is Vancouver a good option too for finance?

Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 317

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 19:18
In general, the financial hub in a region/ country (Toronto, in this case) is the best place for placements in finance because of proximity to Companies. Moreover, there is a good mix of 1-year programs in Canada, which may not be a good option if the route to final placement passes through internship. In general, top programs would be well placed to get you into finance roles even from outside Toronto region, but nothing like a good program in the financial hub.
_________________

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 19:47
99Colleges wrote:
In general, the financial hub in a region/ country (Toronto, in this case) is the best place for placements in finance because of proximity to Companies. Moreover, there is a good mix of 1-year programs in Canada, which may not be a good option if the route to final placement passes through internship. In general, top programs would be well placed to get you into finance roles even from outside Toronto region, but nothing like a good program in the financial hub.

Thanks. That's very insightful

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 30 Aug 2017
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Location: Canada
Schools: Rotman '15 (M)
Re: Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 18:59
I'd echo some of the comments on not basing your decision on price if possible. Yes, a degree from Degroote or Schulich might be cheaper, but it is much harder to get associate level finance positions from those schools.

I'd encourage you to target Rotman/Ivey if possible. Also, Vancouver has a very small financial sector when compared to Toronto.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Canada B-schools for MBA finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 20:53
downsouth182 wrote:
I'd echo some of the comments on not basing your decision on price if possible. Yes, a degree from Degroote or Schulich might be cheaper, but it is much harder to get associate level finance positions from those schools.

I'd encourage you to target Rotman/Ivey if possible. Also, Vancouver has a very small financial sector when compared to Toronto.

Thanks. My only concern is GMAT now. I am appearing for it on 2nd December.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Canada B-schools for MBA finance   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2017, 20:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Canada B-schools for MBA finance

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.