Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
Re: Cancelled my scores, need help and motivation for round 2 [#permalink]
CiscoAmado wrote:
Hello everyone, today I took my GMAT and with a disappointing outcome, I decided to cancel my scores out of fear of "failing" by getting a low score.

Out of curiosity, why did you cancel your scores? You paid the money, you took the test - why not see the results and use them as a benchmark or "kick-in-the-ass"? Schools DO NOT hold multiple GMATs against you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
To be completely honest, I figured I'd end up with some kind of score, maybe 400-500 range, if that...versus the reality of possibly getting a score worse than I counted or antipated. In other words, I was scared I'd do worse than I wanted. If I would've gotten a baaaad score it would've discouraged me rather than not knowing, in a sense, I have a clean slate to only work up from.

Basically fear.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Man oh man - don't do that again. There is no value in canceling the scores - only agony from doubts and hesitation. Sorry to hear about the experience - definitely happy to provide some guidance. Take a look at this thread and see if it makes sense: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

What is your target score and what scores were you getting on the practice exams?

Also, take a look at this plan (also has a link for those at 650 level): gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

P.S. Thanks for the honest answer about canceling the score - kudos!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="bb"]What is your target score and what scores were you getting on the practice exams?[quote]

For the school I'm applying to I'd need a 600...650 tops, and I never took a practice exam, but that will change this time around.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I sent this to bb, but I figured I could use other peoples input as well:

I read your study plan since you were gracious enough to link me the info in my cancellation thread. I have a few questions regarding the plan.

Am I correct to assume that the OG 12 and MGMAT SC and Number properties books are only for supplemental use?If that's the case, do you still recommend the Kaplan Premier for starters? Or is there a better starting off book?

For the OG 12, is it better to get the comprehensive book? Or the Verbal & Math books? Do they differ in any way?

And how many books, roughly, would you recommend reading for the GMAT fiction? I looked at the list and I see several that interest me: Cannery Row, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance, and The Code Book.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is the answer :)

CiscoAmado wrote:
I read your study plan since you were gracious enough to link me the info in my cancellation thread. I have a few questions regarding the plan.

Am I correct to assume that the OG 12 and MGMAT SC and Number properties books are only for supplemental use?

Unless you are good in grammar, would recommend MGMAT SC. Same for Number properties unless you are getting mid-40's on your quant. OG 12 is for the end - to refine your skills - it has no study/strategy material.
Quote:
If that's the case, do you still recommend the Kaplan Premier for starters? Or is there a better starting off book?

Sure, but it may be too basic for you - you can give it a shot. If it is not valuable, at least it has 6 tests that come with it.

Quote:
For the OG 12, is it better to get the comprehensive book? Or the Verbal & Math books? Do they differ in any way?
Just get the OG 12 - you may not need the others - they are slightly easier anyway. The 3 are different in terms of content and I feel the Quant OG and Verbal OG are not really necessary.
Quote:
And how many books, roughly, would you recommend reading for the GMAT fiction? I looked at the list and I see several that interest me: Cannery Row, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance, and The Code Book.

1,000 pages should be sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks bb.

So if the Kaplan book might be too basic, what would you suggest for a better book? A book that's more in depth.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
CiscoAmado wrote:
Thanks bb.

So if the Kaplan book might be too basic, what would you suggest for a better book? A book that's more in depth.

Take a look at the specialized books (for math and verbal)
best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html
best-gmat-verbal-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-78094.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks bb, I added the Kaplan Math Workbook as well.

I've read there's several errors throughout the book, is this the case with the most recent version?

Anyone care to chime in?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
CiscoAmado wrote:
Thanks bb, I added the Kaplan Math Workbook as well.

I've read there's several errors throughout the book, is this the case with the most recent version?

Anyone care to chime in?

Yes, sadly enough - more than in the previous versions. They are mostly with explanations - nothing is wrong with rules/theory - annoying, but not destructive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy & Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Cisco - I joined this community this morn. & saw your post. I'm somewhere mid-way in my prep. And I'm looking for folks to interact with, learn from & share my own prep. strategies & progress. I want to invite you to start afresh & join efforts to 'achieve our targeted scores' . We can post our questions & learnings here on relevant threads. I'm sure you'll be empowered to look even beyond your target scores.

For a start - Go for Kaplan Math Verbal if you have it with you. It'll give you an idea of the different ways in which any given concept in Math can be asked. Also, you'll get an inkling (initial) of the scope of topics + Qs & the standards to which you may be required to prep yourself. Don't worry too much about the errors in the book. We can crease them out. Exercises given at the end of each chapter are really good & bring in the 'I can do it' feeling. Time yourself when you do them.

Let me know what you think...& your next plan of action.
Cheers...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
in10sity wrote:
Hi Cisco - I joined this community this morn. & saw your post. I'm somewhere mid-way in my prep. And I'm looking for folks to interact with, learn from & share my own prep. strategies & progress. I want to invite you to start afresh & join efforts to 'achieve our targeted scores' . We can post our questions & learnings here on relevant threads. I'm sure you'll be empowered to look even beyond your target scores.

For a start - Go for Kaplan Math Verbal if you have it with you. It'll give you an idea of the different ways in which any given concept in Math can be asked. Also, you'll get an inkling (initial) of the scope of topics + Qs & the standards to which you may be required to prep yourself. Don't worry too much about the errors in the book. We can crease them out. Exercises given at the end of each chapter are really good & bring in the 'I can do it' feeling. Time yourself when you do them.

Let me know what you think...& your next plan of action.
Cheers...

Thanks in10sity, I have no problems having someone help me out or having someone need my help, it only can help each of us and others.
How long have you been studying for? How is your study plan going, so on and so forth?

Right now, I'm going to look at the book you suggested and see if I should add it to the list I'm compiling.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey bb, (or anyone else)

I'm taking this month off, and possibly I might begin picking up next month slowly studying, nothing extreme or planned, just possibly looking over the Kaplan Math Workbook or MGMAT Number Properties to get some basics ironed out before I begin my 3 month study period.

When I do begin my 3 month study period, I'll have the correct books I'll need, I will take one of the GMAT Prep Tests to have a starting off point of what I need to do and where I need to end up.

I have been reading a lot, as your advice about GMAT Fiction, middle of my 2nd book, with a 3rd waiting in the winds until I order more from Amazon with all my GMAT books.

Which of the 2 would be better material to look over for fundamentals: MGMAT Number Properties or Kaplan Math Workbook?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
In10sity, I looked last night for the book you recommended, Kaplan Math Verbal, and I couldn't find it anywhere. Do you have a link for that book you can send or post?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can anyone help with this??

I'm taking this month off, and possibly I might begin picking up next month slowly studying, nothing extreme or planned, just possibly looking over the Kaplan Math Workbook or MGMAT Number Properties to get some basics ironed out before I begin my 3 month study period.

When I do begin my 3 month study period, I'll have the correct books I'll need, I will take one of the GMAT Prep Tests to have a starting off point of what I need to do and where I need to end up.

I have been reading a lot, as your advice about GMAT Fiction, middle of my 2nd book, with a 3rd waiting in the winds until I order more from Amazon with all my GMAT books.

Which of the 2 would be better material to look over for fundamentals: MGMAT Number Properties or Kaplan Math Workbook?

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
CiscoAmado wrote:
To be completely honest, I figured I'd end up with some kind of score, maybe 400-500 range, if that...versus the reality of possibly getting a score worse than I counted or antipated. In other words, I was scared I'd do worse than I wanted. If I would've gotten a baaaad score it would've discouraged me rather than not knowing, in a sense, I have a clean slate to only work up from.

Basically fear.

Cancelling the score is not a good idea. The cons are enough to list a novel and I can't really think of many pros. I thought that I bombed my quant since I ran out of time and guessed something like the last 10 questions. I felt pretty good about the verbal. Still I could have thought that I bombed quant (which was my crutch) and with verbal being so volatile, that I will get a poor score and could've canceled it. Instead I got a respectable (albeit below my goal) 690. There's a good chance I'll never take this test again. The quant, btw that I thought I bombed was a 44. It's not something that I'll write on my tombstone, but not as bad as I thought.

Now consider the following 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1: Now consider what would happen if I saw a 550 or something. That's not a score that I would be happy with. I would be upset and feel like a failure and take it again.

Scenario 2: I cancel the score because I feel bad about my quant. I feel like a failure. I take it again as well. Furthermore like this I would always wonder what my score was. What if it was a good score? Finally, now even if you think you completely bombed and your score would most likely stink and you would have to retake the test, if you cancel the score you would have to retake the test 100%. Your only consolation prize is that you don't have to see a bad score. But still you didn't accomplish your goal by canceling the score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the insight GmatNY86. I've already learned a lot from that day, and the possible reprecussions. Not to mention, I can assure you, and every other memeber, that I will not be going down that path again. This time, I will be better prepared than I was.

I received my order from Amazon containing: Kaplan Math Workbook, MGMAT Number Properties, and MGMAT Sentence Correction. On it's way is OG 12.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts